Niche Zero flat burr set conversion from sworksdesigns - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Ahmad H.

#31: Post by Ahmad H. »

Jonk wrote:Do you mean the SSP brew burrs?
If so, how did you align them? At least the marker test doesn't work as there are no flat surfaces. Or have they updated the 58mm version to look like multi-purpose?
It is possible to do the marker test on these. I think they are a "newer" version of 58mm multipurpose. I have done it.

jdrobison

#32: Post by jdrobison »

Jonk wrote:Do you mean the SSP brew burrs?
If so, how did you align them? At least the marker test doesn't work as there are no flat surfaces. Or have they updated the 58mm version to look like multi-purpose?
Yes. The SSP multi-purpose/brew burrs. They have a flat perimeter, making the marker test easy-peasy

Advertisement
macaber8

#33: Post by macaber8 »

Hello,

The flat burr is available again. I wonder if anyone gotten the last batch could share some thoughts?

JamesB517

#34: Post by JamesB517 »

Sworksdesign has started pre-orders for a 54mm Faema burr set for the Niche, but as I don't think these are burrs I particularly want, I am holding off for now. Hoping for something SSP soon.
Life is like a shot of espresso. You never know what you're gonna get.

Jonk

#35: Post by Jonk »

I guess the 'lab sweet'-style burrs are machined. I wonder if it's Sworks own design? Also interesting what effect the manufacturing process has, if any.

skink91

#36: Post by skink91 »

This is all super confusing to me. Why would you want to change out the good conical burrs the Niche comes with at all, vs just getting an actual decent flat burr grinder with larger burrs (>= 64)

I understand wanting a grinder that has fewer fines, more clarity, etc. just not trying to take this cow and making it a duck...

Jonk

#37: Post by Jonk »

The workflow is real nice with the Niche, it's easy to open up for cleaning and it makes for one of the most affordable option for those who want a low RPM flat burr grinder. Agreed that it feel wasteful to use the $200 Kony burrs as paper weights, sure..

Advertisement
Pressino
Supporter ♡

#38: Post by Pressino »

To which I repeat a concern I mentioned earlier about turning your Niche "Zero" into a Niche "Non-Zero" grinder. Seems better to get a decent single dose capable grinder.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#39: Post by Pressino »

I meant to say "single dose capable flat burr grinder...

jdrobison

#40: Post by jdrobison »

Because if you already own a Niche, this is more affordable than purchasing a flat burr grinder. I'm not advocating for it as the better solution, just offering a justification for why someone may want to do it.