Niche Zero flat burr set conversion from sworksdesigns - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
coffeeOnTheBrain

#11: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

Jonk wrote:...Considering that Niche's ring burr is 63mm I'm pretty sure those are Mahlkönig X54 burrs in the video, which would also mean that the 54mm "ditting steel" burrs would fit - ...
The 54mm Mahlkönig and Ditting burrs are all running counter clockwise, while the Niche runs clockwise. Reversing the polarity on the Niche's DC motor shouldn't be an issue though.
I will find out when it arrives and once I switch for some Vario steel aka Ditting burrs.
ira wrote:Since the most important thing in building a flat burr grinder seems to be burr alignment, I wonder how the alignment is?
I will find out once I receive my order.

I will also report on retention.

Jonk

#12: Post by Jonk »

Good catch :mrgreen: How much was the kit?

58mm SSP would perhaps be even more interesting, if he can source the burrs to go along with the kit (I think they were only available for a short time from SSP?)

Advertisement
Milligan
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by Milligan »

Curious about how well the two tab/post positioning system works with flat burrs. My Mazzer and Ceado use three. At least three points are needed to provide stability for a horizontal surface. Two would be innately unstable. I'm guessing the Niche used a combination of the motor bearing and tolerances to steady the burrs. Perhaps that is enough for the conical but not sure about a flat burr set. Perhaps I am reading the image wrong though.

coffeeOnTheBrain

#14: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

Interesting thought, maybe that could be an issue. Lets see how tight the tolerances on Sheldons parts are. The original Niche seems to have pretty respectable tolerances.
4:30 is of interest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOsgp-jggXw

Rounout is measured starting at 7:58

GymbroJones

#15: Post by GymbroJones »

Definitely super interested in this. Any idea of when people will be getting their burrs to test alignment, retention etc.?

bostonbuzz

#16: Post by bostonbuzz »

Milligan wrote:image

Curious about how well the two tab/post positioning system works with flat burrs. My Mazzer and Ceado use three. At least three points are needed to provide stability for a horizontal surface. Two would be innately unstable. I'm guessing the Niche used a combination of the motor bearing and tolerances to steady the burrs. Perhaps that is enough for the conical but not sure about a flat burr set. Perhaps I am reading the image wrong though.
Flat burr grinders (and conical) of this mazzer style which the niche uses are held in place by the threaded upper burr holder. The burr carrier is gently pushed into the threaded section by springs when not in use, and it's violently held against the threaded section while grinding due to the forces of beans pushing the burrs apart. The tabs do nothing besides keep the burr from rotating.

I'd love to see what the ceramic baratza burrs do, since I loved my vario a decade ago but for the inconsistent grind adjustment - so I was constantly chasing the grind. I do remember great shots when the stars aligned.
LMWDP #353

erik82

#17: Post by erik82 »

Nice to see this projects but I have my doubts. You're degrading your Niche from a titan conical grinder to a basic beginner flat burr grinder. And for the RPM's the Niche makes that'll result in a massive extra strain on the motor. I literally see this kit as a Niche killer.

Advertisement
Giampiero

#18: Post by Giampiero »

Apart the lack of any videos, if the inventor began to sale the kit, maybe he tested first and realized it was at least not harmful for the grinder motor/gear.

coffeeOnTheBrain

#19: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

erik82 wrote:Nice to see this projects but I have my doubts. You're degrading your Niche from a titan conical grinder to a basic beginner flat burr grinder. And for the RPM's the Niche makes that'll result in a massive extra strain on the motor. I literally see this kit as a Niche killer.
I ordered one of the test carriers, how do you think the conversion puts more strain on the motor than the conical burrs?

ira
Team HB

#20: Post by ira »

It will likely put much less strain on the motor because of the tendency for flat burrs to feed slower. The burrs may push apart harder, so there will likely be increased thrust placed on bearings which support the spinning burr. That may be a problem depending on the design. I've never seen a Niche so I've no opinion about that being a problem or not.