Niche Zero burr travel

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
MCal2003

#1: Post by MCal2003 »

Does anyone know the distance the burr travels with each marking change? Just curious.

Depending on origin, degree of roast, age of roast.... the range of adjustment has been around plus or minus one increment marking.

~8kg run through the grinder. Wondering if the adjustment range stays the same, decreases or increases once the burrs are "seasoned"?
LMWDP #151

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

I'm not sure it is a very meaningful number to compare with flat-burr grinders. With a conical burr, the change in out-fall gap is less than the change in vertical burr position. Even among conicals, the angle of the cut near the out fall changes the ratio.

I'm surprised you're seeing such a small range. At least with medium-light and light coffees, a range over 5 marks or so was typical for me, maybe 7-10 with some of the less-common ones.

DaveC

#3: Post by DaveC replying to Jeff »

This above...

If you want to calculate it for fun. One full rotation of the adjuster is 1.5mm. Count or estimate how many marks 1 rotation would be (rotate 180 degrees and double it), then divide into 1.5mm

MCal2003 (original poster)

#4: Post by MCal2003 (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:I'm not sure it is a very meaningful number to compare with flat-burr grinders. With a conical burr, the change in out-fall gap is less than the change in vertical burr position. Even among conicals, the angle of the cut near the out fall changes the ratio.

I'm surprised you're seeing such a small range. At least with medium-light and light coffees, a range over 5 marks or so was typical for me, maybe 7-10 with some of the less-common ones.
Curiosity more or less a result of the minimal change in grind setting relative to the old Macap M7. Also a conical unit with I think 83mm burr. Right now NZ is set at 17. ~16-18 has been the tweaking range. One outlier required a setting of 20. Those are the setting for the Flair 58. Coarser (20+) for the same beans for the MCal. Not using a scale on the 58. Just a cheap digital timer. More or less same pressure profile. Guessing at the most maybe 15-19 range for "technically" spot on pulls. I just make minor grind adjustments to taste. Unless someone gives me a Lunar or Pyxis:). Eventually will build a platform to allow the scale to sit within the Flair's base.

Coffees are all roasted to what most by today's standards would consider too dark. FC. Dumped at the first sound of 2nd crack. FC+, 10-20 seconds into the 2nd crack. diy air cooler chills the beans relatively quick.
LMWDP #151