Niche Zero / Breville Bambino Plus - Grind size, different coffees, altitude - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
MPA (original poster)

#11: Post by MPA (original poster) »

Jonk wrote:I'm also at 8-14 usually on my machine/basket/dose/bean combo.. But look at James Hoffman's settings for 18g:

I guess it's mostly a matter of calibration.
The Bambino uses a 54mm basket, so 18g should be a fairly deep puck and hence the need for slightly coarser grinds.
That makes me feel better for sure. I agree - was wondering if the deeper 54mm basket (and deeper puck) might be causing part of the issue. Definitely makes sense. Wondering why a deeper puck was a good engineering decision given the fact that coarser grinds generally means less extraction of flavor (all other things held constant).

MPA (original poster)

#12: Post by MPA (original poster) »

Quester wrote:I just spent a week pulling shots on my college daughter's Breville Infuser using a Niche and lots of different beans--most of them single origin. I realize you have a slightly different machine, but here are some things that we've been doing to increase the odds of a nice shot.

1. Pull a "shot" with an empty portafilter inserted right before pulling your first shot to warm everything up and increase consistency.

2. Use a scale under the cup and stop the shot manually at your desired weight.

3. Invest in a bottomless portafilter so you can see what's happening with the shot and whether there are significant prep issues.

4. Get a good WDT tool like the LeverCraft Ultra or one you make on your own with 0.4mm needles.

FYI, she is at 5,000 ft elevation.
Thanks for the tips!

I do #2, #1 sometimes. Have read plenty about WDT and just distribution in general, will read more to see how I want to add this to my routine.

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
Jeff
Team HB

#13: Post by Jeff »

I had a significant shift on my Niche Zero. I didn't even try it until I had run 2 kg of beans through it. I'd guess that more like 5 kg before it had mainly settled in.

Quester

#14: Post by Quester »

It also helps to have a dosing funnel on top of the portafilter when doing WDT. I'll send you a link to the one I purchased.

Jonk

#15: Post by Jonk »

MPA wrote:Wondering why a deeper puck was a good engineering decision given the fact that coarser grinds generally means less extraction of flavor (all other things held constant).
For example the Flair Classic uses 40mm baskets, extra coarse grinds, but can extract flavor just fine. Some of us believe it's actually a beneficial thing to have narrow baskets because the coarse grounds and lower force needed to achieve the target pressure helps avoiding channeling. I guess there's less consensus about the deep pucks, but I believe they're mostly a good thing too.