Niche Zero Bottom Line Review

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
AZWolf

#1: Post by AZWolf »

Niche Zero Bottom Line Review™

Bottom Line First
The Niche Zero is an amazing grinder for the money though it is indeed a niche grinder as its purpose is single-dosing. This is perfect as my main use is single dosing for my daily espressos (well, actually macchiatos.) What I like best is that it's extremely consistent and repeatable. I keep a log of my grind settings for various beans and types of coffee and I can change back and forth from a cold brew or pour-over grind to espresso and it's right on the money almost every time. This is the reason I switched grinders and it has lived up to my expectations. If your main use of a grinder is for single dosing this is definitely a fabulous grinder with stellar grind quality at a surprisingly reasonable cost. It also happens to be fairly quiet as grinders go. My gripes are minor. See "Cons" in my pros and cons list below.

Reliability
With only 3 months use it's difficult to determine long term reliability. I'll probably report again after I've had it a year or more. That said, it has been reliable so far and it is clearly well made with a solid feel to it. It is also a simple design so I expect it to be reliable. I'll let you know.

Crowdfunding sales and support
To put it mildly, I am not a fan of purchasing goods from crowdfunding sites as such sites are not stores. In fact the NZ is my first positive experience with a crowd funded purchase. I never would have done it without first verifying that other people made their purchases successfully. My experience was good. They kept in touch about shipping and I received it from across the pond within a couple weeks of ordering. James from Niche was very responsive whenever I emailed with a question or concern.

My suggestion to Niche (and I've emailed them about this) is to dump Indiegogo as soon as possible and find distributors/retailers in the U.S. and Canada and where ever else you have large markets. It inspires a lot more confidence to know there is an actual dealer or store in your home country behind it; stocking parts, offering service, and someone to call for support.

Aesthetics
I'll admit I like the looks of it. It's a bit utilitarian while also looking cool in a funky retro American 1950s way. It's a good match for my vintage 1958 Sunbeam Coffeemaster C50. I know some people don't think it is very pretty but to Niche: Don't change it! It is unique and that is critical in distinguishing your product from others. It reminds me of Apple's very first iMacs with curvy colored enclosures while everyone else had a beige box.

My wife likes it and thinks it looks cool. For her to even render a judgement about a coffee appliance is saying something. She's not a coffee drinker and generally has disdain for my coffee implements taking up counter space. If you think it is lacking in beauty, you'll find it is more than made up for in personality.

Capacity
I realize this is a single dose design and it does work well 95% of the time. But for the next generation, just a little bit more room in the bean funnel/reservoir would be appreciated. Perhaps it's just the sloped design and smooth surface but it's a stretch to fit the 50g stated limit. I will sometimes grind 40g for cold brew and have to pour the beans very carefully so they don't spill over the edge. And sometimes even when I'm pouring in a 17g single dose, if I pour too fast or I'm a little too high above it, some beans will fly out.

Pros and cons

Pros
* Simple design
* Superb grind quality
* Physically compact- preserves counter space
* Easy to turn stepless grind adjustment ring, yet holds its place
* Very consistent at any given grind setting
* Ability to change grind settings back and forth with repeatable and accurate results
* Virtually no loss of grounds (for me, usually .1 gram)
* Retractable power cord

Cons
* Pop-corning. Perhaps this is unavoidable with a single dose conical grinder but an issue nonetheless.
* Constant red light- a niggle but I'd like to see a more subtle green or blue power light if any.
* Bean funnel slightly small in some cases in light of the necessity for a slick surface to feed the beans

Conclusion
For many people $700 is a lot of money but if you can swing it, the Niche Zero is worth more than its price compared to the other grinders I've owned in this price range and even more expensive ones. It is simple to use, extremely consistent, grinds beautifully and takes up little space on your counter. It works as well for pour-over as for espresso. My complaints are so minimal as to be more like a wish list. I haven't had it long enough to know when/if it will need repairs. I'm hoping Niche will have a U.S. dealer by then so I don't have to ship it to or receive parts from overseas. Even with all this in mind, I highly recommend it.

Note: I hope sharing my experiences with this grinder in this purposely short review is helpful to some of you considering a purchase. If you want more information about features, technical details, taste comparisons, etc., you can find it on this site from some great HB folks that have already posted their reviews and comments about it.
★ Helpful

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

Cons
* Pop-corning. Perhaps this is unavoidable with a single dose conical grinder but an issue nonetheless.
Have we really determined that this is an actual issue with grind quality?
Scott
LMWDP #248

AZWolf (original poster)

#3: Post by AZWolf (original poster) replying to sweaner »

Good point. I haven't noticed that it affects grind quality. It's merely an inconvenience as far as I can tell. I just lift up the lid (which turns off grinding) for a second to let the pop-corning beans descend to the burrs to be ground. Simply adds a few seconds to the process. You may have noted that I qualified my complaints about this grinder as minor. Doesn't bother me that much but I felt obligated to report it.

sweaner

#4: Post by sweaner »

I agree...and love my Niche!
Scott
LMWDP #248

jchung

#5: Post by jchung »

AZWolf wrote: Cons
Just put a pringles lid, or a small curved plate (I 3D printed one), and it will reduce the pop-corning and will eliminate the tiny bits that manage to hop over the top of the funnel onto the ring ledge.

AZWolf (original poster)

#6: Post by AZWolf (original poster) replying to jchung »

Thanks. Good tip. Glad you brought this up. In my review, I had forgotten about the tiny bits that get on the ring edge. Sounds like a redesigned lid is in order for v2 of the Niche Zero!

Cheers,
Joel

javipi

#7: Post by javipi »

Great review, specially since I just could not agree more. I believe its a fantastic grinder, well built and understanding they use a pretty well known burrs, replacement of these over time should not be an issue. One of the great things I have come to know is that being a single dose grinder, I can actually alternate between different coffes every single time (as it's also very very easy to dial in), so I can have 3-4 different coffee origins within the same day. With my Fausto grinder I didn't do it as I always put at least half bag in that big hopper (around 120-150 grams), so I had to empty it before I change coffee beans.

I like it so much, I plan to let both my Rocket Mozzafiatto R and the Fausto go and when I get the new machine, I will hang on the Niche only for a while to see how it performs as my only grinder.

AZWolf (original poster)

#8: Post by AZWolf (original poster) replying to javipi »

Thanks, I'm glad you liked the review. Sounds like you really love the Niche Zero. I also sold off one grinder and currently have another listed. Nothing wrong with either one but the Zero is better suited to my coffee workflow. Like you, I like to change types of methods and types of beans and the Niche handles it with aplomb.

Happy shots!
Joel

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by mgwolf »

Another VERY happy owner of a Niche. Agree with Joel's review, a very nice grinder well-suited to shifting back and forth with different beans.

AZWolf (original poster)

#10: Post by AZWolf (original poster) »

Thanks! There does seem to be a lot of happy Niche Zero owners :)