Niche Zero grinder vs something available now

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jbrady3324

#1: Post by jbrady3324 »

With the Niche not currently being available, what would be my next best option in this price range (~1k)? I really like the design of the Niche and ultimately will try to purchase this down the road. Ultimately I am looking for something that will fit under the counter and be able to provide accurate doses. I am open to hoppers or single dose machines.

If it is a hopper, know that I am okay with some inaccuracy as sometimes I just want to walk up, grind and go. The shot doesn't have to be perfect for a latte and speed is important for a group of people. Is there a way of program the grinder to stop once a scale hits a certain weight?

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

The Niche is "never" currently available. Best bet is to get on the Niche email list and get up early the day they're announced, as well as checking regularly thereafter. I see you're already checking Buy/Sell here.

Another option is to buy a used grinder off Buy/Sell and sell it once your Niche arrives. That might be less net cost than an espresso-capable hand grinder, which start just below $200. It seems the $300-class hand grinders are the ones in higher demand used.

The Niche a hard piece to match in its price range, especially if you're buying for the years ahead rather than just immediate satisfaction.

Edit: Niche availability may get better after the holiday buying subsides, but that's still a couple months out, plus delivery time.

ragdoll serenade

#3: Post by ragdoll serenade »

Baratza makes a few grinders that stop at a programmed weight. The Sette, Vario and Forte all come in a version with a built in scale. I don't have one, I use a Sette that operates with a digital timer. I think it works fine, after adjusting the time for a given coffee I periodically check with my scale and fine tune. It's quite consistent actually. Also, I believe there are other brands that use timers as well, I know Eureka makes very nice grinders with that feature. I am sure there are other brands with timers and maybe some with built in scales as well. There are also doser grinders, I have not owned one and don't know the strengths and weakness of that type.

LObin

#4: Post by LObin »

If it was me, I'd wait for the Niche Zero. It's truly worth it.
They are manufacturing and sending units quite fast. The wait shouldn't be that long.

But, although you say you want a Niche, you criterias for your next grinder seem to point more towards a hopper fed grinder with electronics and a timer.

Grinders in the same price range that would give you similar cup quality include the Baratza Forte, Eureka Mignon Specialita or Magnifico, Ceado E37J and Eureka Speciality 65 or Helios 65 (a bit more $).
LMWDP #592

jbrady3324 (original poster)

#5: Post by jbrady3324 (original poster) replying to LObin »

Technically I agree, but I am completely okay pre-weighing and storing in test tubes (or something) which led me to the Niche as a great option. I will look into those options you listed.

I was able to score a Niche this morning that will arrive in February. It is gives me time to try out something else in the meantime

LObin

#6: Post by LObin »

Oh nice! Congrats!

There's a Specialita on the buy/sell forum right now but I'm not sure the seller is interested in shipping the unit.

If you can get something used, chances are you won't lose any money when you sell it later on. Maybe check your local classifieds too.

Another good option is a hand grinder. They often produce a grind quality that's above their price point and are pretty easy to resell and ship. For espresso I'd consider the 1zpresso JE plus ($239 on Amazon), a Lido (E or ET) a Kinu or Comandante.
LMWDP #592

thirdcrackfourthwave

#7: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

For me, and our wants may be different, I'd look at a hand grinder so I'd have something for the road. The Eureka Specialita is a decent grinder--it'd be my second choice in this range.

Arafel

#8: Post by Arafel »

The Eureka Mignon Specialita would be a great choice. Small footprint, quiet, timed grinds etc. If you really think you want the Niche, you could get the Silenzio instead; the timed grinding on it is analog instead of precise digital, and the portafilter fork isn't adjustable.

Smitward

#9: Post by Smitward »

For those of you not on social media, they just put out a bunch of new stock for March shipping. I heard that the announcement might not have came out from their email, but can't verify since I realized I wasn't on the mailing list.

-B

Willinak

#10: Post by Willinak »

Yeah, I just put down for another one...you always need a backup right? In the bike world the mantra is N+1. :roll: