Newbie: If the grinder is so important, can it make up for a beginner espresso machine?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
georgeaye

#1: Post by georgeaye »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for making this community so welcoming. I've been drinking coffee with my Moccamaster for years but looking to enter the deeper end of the pool and get into espresso. But other than tasty some milk-based espresso drinks from my local (Chicago-based) Intelligentsia, I don't have much experience with good espresso.

So, as a thought experiment: could a high end single dose grinder (Monolith, Levercraft, Lagom) make a good espresso still, even if it's with a starter machine like the Breville Bambino?

zfeldman

#2: Post by zfeldman »

Besides issue of quality mismatch...could make it worse.

Large flat grinders may be harder to dial in than conical.
Sette or Niche might be a better 'high quality' fit.

Advertisement
iploya

#3: Post by iploya »

georgeaye wrote:So, as a thought experiment: could a high end single dose grinder (Monolith, Levercraft, Lagom) make a good espresso still, even if it's with a starter machine like the Breville Bambino?
Conventional wisdom is a better grinder can improve results of any espresso machine. But, the machine also matters, and a cheap espresso machine would likely become the limiter in that case. Don't let that discourage you from getting a better grinder now, then upgrading your espresso machine later.

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

Combining my Monolith flat with my neighbors least expensive Breville with a built in grinder made for a quite nice espresso, so yes. I have considered picking up a Bambino for afternoon milk drinks so I don't have to wait for my current machine to heat up and I would expect if the temperature is reasonable it might be a fine machine for that use.

mckolit

#5: Post by mckolit »

I say go for it. For a few years I had a delonghi with my super jolly. I got some decent shots out of it. Ira brings up a good idea. My delonghi was up to temp in 5 to 10 minutes while my current machine needs at least 45. There's no spontaneous shots with that machine.

BaristaBoy E61

#6: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

As with so many things in life, it might be better to find and achieve a 'Balance'. I would suggest looking at it from the point of view that this is only your next setup - not your last.

Enjoy the journey; it's going to be a long ride!

BTW: Welcome to HB!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

tennisman03110

#7: Post by tennisman03110 »

I have a Sette 270. First started with a used Breville Duo Temp. Now I've got a BDB.

Simply put, yes, a good grinder can make decent espresso, in a cheap (relatively) machine. My $200 machine made some nice shots and foamed milk well enough.

There's the thread New Espresso Machine, Value Over Budget I started about the differences at some point.

Advertisement
Jeff
Team HB

#8: Post by Jeff »

With a very rough guideline being you need to double the cost to get a significant improvement in the gear, you're at something of a good point on machines. There might be a meaningful gain going from the Bambino at $300 to the Infuser at $580. I haven't tried either, but there are some good reports on the Infuser paired with a Niche Zero. See, for example, Breville Infuser or ...

Jasonbird

#9: Post by Jasonbird »

My daughter is having pretty good results with a infuser and smart grinder pro. The infuser is almost 8 years old and going strong.

BuzzedLightyear

#10: Post by BuzzedLightyear »

I "downgraded" to a flair espresso machine.

I'm making better shots consistently then I was on machines costing hundreds more