New Timemore Sculptor Grinders 064 064s 078 078s - Page 85

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Paolo

#841: Post by Paolo »

marcbrewcoffee wrote:I've been using the 078S for a few months now, and 1 issue I am facing now is the huge variation in shot times when slow feeding vs dumping all the beans in together at once.

For reference, I did slow feed at setting 1.0, got a shot time of 15s. Dumping beans at setting 1.0 choked fully, no yield. Continued to try dumping at 1.8, choked. Tried 2.0, got half the yield I wanted in 50+ seconds.

Anyone have the same issue? I tried dumping in as it takes time to slow feed, and it becomes really messy as well with grinds flying out.
What speed are you using?
I found inconsistency in times and flow when I was using higher speeds (1200-1400rpm) for espresso. It was frustrating.

As soon as I turned it down to 800 rpm both the flow and times became consistent.
I do hot starts and dump the beans...getting fabulous results. I see no need to alter the speed in my 078S.

I have had mine for 3 weeks now. I have done no burr seasoning and get no spritzing.

I am really happy with this grinder.

Jonk

#842: Post by Jonk »

marcbrewcoffee wrote:I've been using the 078S for a few months now, and 1 issue I am facing now is the huge variation in shot times when slow feeding vs dumping all the beans in together at once.
This is not an issue, but completely normal. Slow feeding should have an impact on flavor too, so either choose to do it or don't.

If static is the problem, try RDT or lower RPM.

dwarfboy1717

#843: Post by dwarfboy1717 »

078 here - after 1 lb seasoning, there's still a slight astringency when compared to my ZP6, but better balanced and more enjoyable cup in general.

I plan to season it a bit, but had hoped no seasoning would be needed.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#844: Post by Milligan replying to dwarfboy1717 »

I've put about 10lbs through and it keeps getting better.

jdrobison

#845: Post by jdrobison »

dwarfboy1717 wrote:078 here - after 1 lb seasoning, there's still a slight astringency when compared to my ZP6, but better balanced and more enjoyable cup in general.

I plan to season it a bit, but had hoped no seasoning would be needed.
Whether it's needed is sort of subjective. All new burrs will have microscopic "jagged" edges or whatever (unless the manufacturer is doing something to smooth them out, I suppose) and seasoning with a few kilos will knock them down, plus coat the metal with a bit of oil.

STG

#846: Post by STG »

Anyone move to 078 from an Ode Gen 2 or Vario/Forte BG? Wondering how they compare and if it's worth the upgrade.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#847: Post by Milligan replying to STG »

I have a Fellow Ode with SSP MP. I prefer the cups on the 078 with a blind cupping. Build quality is better and less mess without RDT. IMO it is worth the upgrade over the Ode with SSP MP when taking into account selling the old grinder. I'd say it is an even bigger step up from the Gen 2 burrs. Only issue you may have is leaving behind the 64mm platform with its wide variety of burr options. Something to keep in mind. If the cup doesn't match your palate on the 078 you are stuck with it.

STG

#848: Post by STG replying to Milligan »

On the contrary, I hate this new burr every week era we're in. I just want a good upgrade until I can eventually afford an EK43 or similar end game grinder.

Jonk

#849: Post by Jonk »

I think the 078 is a fairly easy recommendation if you're coming from a Vario/Forté BG.
IMO an Ode with SSP MP compliments the 078 well on the other hand; for example if you want to drink floral, delicate coffees.

I've also got the 064 (turbo) and for me that's a safer choice, while both 078 and SSP MP can be better but also quite bland (078) or even bad (SSP MP) for some beans.

jdrobison

#850: Post by jdrobison »

I'm only 1 week in with the 078 but the last few cups have more clarity than the Ode V2. I'm almost exclusively into bright and floral and I think this grinder lends itself pretty well to that. It does catch quite a few fines - I was surprised when I compared what came out of the knocker to what was in the dosing container - which seems to be giving it the advantage for me. I was going to compare the grind quality against the Ode with my Kruve but my wife already took the Ode to work :lol: Judging them visually though... The 078 appears to be more consistent.