New Timemore Sculptor Grinders 064 064s 078 078s - Page 84

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Estropelic

#831: Post by Estropelic »

Howdy folks, happy holidays.

I received my 078s a few days ago and as usual, I'm printing all the necessary mods for it. The larger knocker assist is a nice addon as my dark roast beans seem to make more static. Printed the modified hopper below.

https://makerworld.com/en/models/86240#profileId-92126

Made some dosing cups compatible with my premil la pavoni so I'm really happy with the workflow.

https://www.printables.com/model/684459 ... pavoni-fil

Coming from a modified encore with sette burrs and double step adjustable pin, this is a nice upgrade.

Cheers

GregoryJ

#832: Post by GregoryJ »

Estropelic wrote:
Coming from a modified encore with sette burrs and double step adjustable pin, this is a nice upgrade.

Cheers
You can put sette burrs in an Encore? That's crazy

PartySausage

#833: Post by PartySausage »

I've had a little more time to sit down & make a neater design for my 078/078s hopper insert & uploaded a V2 to Thingiverse, which encloses more of the empty space in the hopper & gives it a better aesthetic. It sits a little lower in the hopper so the lid magnet catch doesn't sit on it & allows the original lid to be used... You wouldn't know it was in there :-). Enjoy

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6395248

spressomon

#834: Post by spressomon »

I still haven't used my 064S but for the folks that have used 064S/078S, are you seeing grounds retention above the clicker? Anyone print a bellows for the top yet?
No Espresso = Depresso

Jonk

#835: Post by Jonk »

Sometimes a whole bean or so that didn't feed. Especially with RDT I'll use the included and pretty powerful blower with the lid half open. That'll help feed sticky beans in. Otherwise I don't think there's much retention.

romlee
Supporter ♡

#836: Post by romlee »

Received my 78s on December 18th and it's been in use everyday since. I ran 24 oz of an old light roast bean through just to say I "seasoned" it (though nothing close to the amount some others have) at the 4 setting. Since then it's had another 24 oz of 1 or 2 week old light roast run through it.

The past 2 days (8 each 18 gr doses, 4 each day) there's been zero retention. I weigh 18 gr in and 18 gr is weighed out. I've run my finger inside the "knocker/clicker" and found only dust. I haven't opened up the burr chamber, yet.

I've had the experience typical of a lot of Sculptor users: 1 or 2 beans stuck on the hopper incline that I have to push towards the feeder. I RDT. I don't have to bellow or slap the side of the grinder (compared to my Niche Zero work flow).

From a work flow and retention perspective, in my experience, the 78s has been really nice. So far, better than my Zero.
“Be curious, not judgemental.” T. Lasso

hpractitioner

#837: Post by hpractitioner »

spressomon wrote:I still haven't used my 064S but for the folks that have used 064S/078S, are you seeing grounds retention above the clicker? Anyone print a bellows for the top yet?
There will be some grounds around clickers due to static. Need RDT to avoid it. But it's not messy since you will put a doser below it, so I don't use RDT anymore.

Troy2322

#838: Post by Troy2322 »

Hi, I am curious abkut your recipe that is similar to the Substance X owners recipe...namely the 5 pour method with intense swirling flow rate from the kettle. He seems to be aiming for brew times of 3 mins withh an 01 v60 with smaller exit diameter than 02. Was wondering if you are using an 01 v60 and if with the 078 you are still grinding at 13 to 14 which I think seems awfully coarse.

Jonk

#839: Post by Jonk »

The diameter of the hole doesn't really make much difference IME, it's still wide enough not to restrict flow. The main reason to use a 01 dripper is to be able to pour closer to the surface. It's easily big enough for 2 cups with multiple pours.

I usually grind at about 8-9 on the 078 with low rpm (800-1100) to reach 3 minutes with that recipe. Perhaps I'm using a bit less agitation, I don't know.. But even at the maximum setting the brew time would still be about 2 1/2 minutes because you stand around waiting.

marcbrewcoffee

#840: Post by marcbrewcoffee »

I've been using the 078S for a few months now, and 1 issue I am facing now is the huge variation in shot times when slow feeding vs dumping all the beans in together at once.

For reference, I did slow feed at setting 1.0, got a shot time of 15s. Dumping beans at setting 1.0 choked fully, no yield. Continued to try dumping at 1.8, choked. Tried 2.0, got half the yield I wanted in 50+ seconds.

Anyone have the same issue? I tried dumping in as it takes time to slow feed, and it becomes really messy as well with grinds flying out.