New Timemore Sculptor Grinders 064 064s 078 078s - Page 83

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
TobiasFunke

#821: Post by TobiasFunke »

kaffen wrote:I'm also in the lookout for a new grinder, mainly pour over but occational espresso. Of course the 064/078 comes up. It sounds great, but where do you buy it in Europe?

I also live in Europe but I have difficulties finding a grinder that checks all boxes. The DF64, or "Probarista G-IOTA Gen 2" from Homebarista.be seems scetchy. I've had warranty issues before with a grinder from Wilfa and they solved it amazingly well, but I'm not so sure about the DF64 sellers since Homebarista already doesnt answer my questions properly.

I've heard so much good about the Ode 2, very interesting to hear your experience with it being that bad. Besides retention and it being quite course, how's the flavor? And is the courseness a problem in practise, that you reach chirp the same way Gen 1 did?
It's not bad at all, it's just quite inconsistent in my opinion. I think there might be some misalignment going on (yes I have done the foil paper trick Lance Hedrick explains) or something going on as some bean particles seem to get stuck quite often. Also opening mine is a mess, as the front plate is very hard to remove (I do think this is a production error in mine) so I always have to pry it open, and this led to several scratches in the front of it.

So far I am also waiting for more reviews on the 078. I frankly want a 078s but with the ghost burrs, so will have to wait some more. I also find its dissemblance quite a concern, as it looks quite complicated. Lastly, I've seen some comments in the Facebook group (by far the best way to see user experience of these grinders) about some metal parts grinding together. So I'm not too convinced about it.

DFXX are all out of the picture for me. No name company, lots of revisions (which translates to poor QC), etc. I don't trust it, I don't want to mod it or spend extra time on that.

kaffen

#822: Post by kaffen »

TobiasFunke wrote:It's not bad at all, it's just quite inconsistent in my opinion. I think there might be some misalignment going on (yes I have done the foil paper trick Lance Hedrick explains) or something going on as some bean particles seem to get stuck quite often. Also opening mine is a mess, as the front plate is very hard to remove (I do think this is a production error in mine) so I always have to pry it open, and this led to several scratches in the front of it.

So far I am also waiting for more reviews on the 078. I frankly want a 078s but with the ghost burrs, so will have to wait some more. I also find its dissemblance quite a concern, as it looks quite complicated. Lastly, I've seen some comments in the Facebook group (by far the best way to see user experience of these grinders) about some metal parts grinding together. So I'm not too convinced about it.

DFXX are all out of the picture for me. No name company, lots of revisions (which translates to poor QC), etc. I don't trust it, I don't want to mod it or spend extra time on that.
Right, I agree with the DFs, I'm not convinced. Surprised about the Ode but great to know.

I'm more interested in the 064 because of the lower price point, not sure exactly what though. I heard from one seller that it's estimated around February. Maybe I'll wait for that...

What's the name of the Facebook group?

TobiasFunke

#823: Post by TobiasFunke replying to kaffen »

hankua
Supporter ♡

#824: Post by hankua »

Taipei Coffee Show Nov 17, 2023

bgn

#825: Post by bgn »

Any other Canadians get their 64? Looks like our country was last to be shipped. The update said all grinders should be in hand by year's end.

spressomon

#826: Post by spressomon »

Not Canadian...but just received my 64S a few days ago (Nevada, USA); still in the box.
No Espresso = Depresso

crwper

#827: Post by crwper »

I'm waiting for an 078S, not an 064S, but I'm pretty sure the most recent update said all grinders would *ship* by the end of the year, not that they would be in hand. Shipping time has been specified previous as about 40 days, so I reckon I might have a grinder sometime in February.

doug
Supporter ♡

#828: Post by doug »

Same here, but I'm hoping for mid-January.

PartySausage

#829: Post by PartySausage »

I've made an attempt at designing an printable insert for the hopper on the 078/078s to create a steeper angle & help prevent beans sticking inside. Hope you find it useful

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6395248

bgn

#830: Post by bgn »

From the latest update I received from Timore a few weeks back: "8th Batch (Canada): Vessel departed on Nov 14th, expected at the port on Dec 14th. Tracking numbers will follow last-mile delivery."
Hopefully get a tracking number soon.
I was visiting my sister a few weeks back and while there bought her the Turrin DF64 Gen2. I had about 5 days to play with it while I was there. Seems like a very good grinder with excellent features for the price. For me Timemore is just as unknown but looking forward to seeing the 064.