New Timemore Sculptor Grinders 064 064s 078 078s - Page 62

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
dwarfboy1717

#611: Post by dwarfboy1717 »

As far as SSP MP flavor profile vs 078, I asked Lance Hedrick to clarify what he meant by juicy in a comment during one of his live videos on Instagram. His response was helpful. I drafted it up on Reddit and he commented and confirmed, but I'll paste it here as well:

What does Juicy mean? (Sculptor 078)

I asked Lance on his Insta Live today to please describe more clearly the "juicy" cups from his 078.

He has been very articulate about what the Ode+SSP and EG-1 ULF high clarity means - flavor separation, low body, pervasive sweetness, high florals, ringing acidity that is not unbalanced, transparent tasting notes.

In response to the question, he said:
- "juicy" is IN CONTRAST to "high clarity" not in addition to. So it is a pleasant "integrated" cup in a way that he sometimes prefers over the Ode+SSP flavor separation.

Juicy means:
- present tame acidity
- full robust sweetness
- exceptionally balanced flavor profiles
- moderate texture
- balance of sweet and acidity causing mouth watering roundedness

Ultimately he said it's like the difference in biting into a fruit (apple, orange, grapefruit) vs drinking the associated juice of the fruit. In the former you get skin, peel, pith, variety, clear separation (a la Ode+SSP) and in the latter you get sweet, balanced, mouth watering, with all the fruit characteristics immediately present on your tongue and a smoother finish.

From that perspective, his review and other reviews line up quite nicely even if they're describing their experience and preferences differently. The Timemore Sculptor 078 with turbo burrs is a sweet, JUICY grinder, with tame acidity and moderate texture, accentuating sweetness and a flavor-forward blend in the cup, with little to no astringency or harsh finish.

It's not an Ode+SSP on steroids. It's the 078. Learn it. Love it.

Here's the post if you care to see Lance's interaction on it:

Cuprajake

#612: Post by Cuprajake »

Has the kick starter closed on this now?

malling

#613: Post by malling »

It's basically a cast burr on steroids, because it is a similar (enough) profile description to that

mycatsnameisbernie

#614: Post by mycatsnameisbernie »

Cuprajake wrote:Has the kick starter closed on this now?
Yes it has. That's why things are so quiet. Timemore has said they will be doing post-campaign funding on Indiegogo InDemand, but that hasn't started yet.

sofia

#615: Post by sofia »

malling wrote:It will be send out to backers may 22
I still haven't recieved mine :/

GregoryJ

#616: Post by GregoryJ »

There was a backer update today that said the pledge survey account hadn't been set up yet, but it should come this week or next.

Ursego

#617: Post by Ursego »

According to what the guy says, the 078s is somewhere in the middle between "typical conical" and "typical flat" for espresso. That could be because of the big pre-breaking area of the burrs which makes them more "conical-like" (just an assumption...). What do you think guys?

If that's really the case, then I am in trouble :twisted: . I already have a Niche Zero, and I want to supplement it with a "typical flat" (I don't need two Niche Zeros :lol:) - to cover light roast territory. The video just confirms the rightness of those who have already written to me above in this thread that the 078s is not the best choice for my specific purpose.

Of course, when I get my 078s, I can sell it for the same 499 USD in ten seconds, but I don't want to give up the grinder I got at such a big discount. My idea is to change 078s to 078 when I get the survey. Honestly, I ask myself almost every day, "Why do you even need anything else if Niche Zero makes such great espresso from dark beans?" Maybe in a year or so I'll buy a DF83 v2 with espresso burrs (or something else) to enjoy 3 grinders on the countertop and then my wife will call me a psychiatric ambulance.

So far I've been making coffee in the French press every few days, but Lance says the 078 is the best grinder for pour over in the $2000 range. Those words are intriguing. I think my interest in non-espresso methods will be heightened by the 078.

LindoPhotography

#618: Post by LindoPhotography »

I doubt it's THAT CLOSE to the Niche, should be a good jump in grind quality, I'd judge it after you have it, maybe after some burr seasoning possibly... There will likely be 3rd party burrs available for it too if the stock burrs are not to your liking. I thought the DF83 with stock burrs was also similar where it has a nice balanced body with some clarity, it's not super high clarity but I don't feel I'm missing out on much with them.
I feel like there's more good 64mm burr options if you're looking for something with HIGH clarity. SSP MP burrs are the top of that spectrum, but even the Stock burrs on DF64 should be a good contrast to your Niche Zero. I thought they're pretty high clarity and low body (new DF64v and DF64 Version5 have a new burr set which should be even better I think).

If you're tempted by the 078 burrs and aren't doing espresso (or will have another grinder for that) and want to start doing pour overs / brew coffee you'll have the option of buying those 'Turbo burrs' and putting them in your 078s I believe if you don't like the 078s Burrs.
Ursego wrote:video

According to what the guy says, the 078s is somewhere in the middle between "typical conical" and "typical flat" for espresso. That could be because of the big pre-breaking area of the burrs which makes them more "conical-like" (just an assumption...). What do you think guys?

If that's really the case, then I am in trouble :twisted: . I already have a Niche Zero, and I want to supplement it with a "typical flat" (I don't need two Niche Zeros :lol:) - to cover light roast territory. The video just confirms the rightness of those who have already written to me above in this thread that the 078s is not the best choice for my specific purpose.

Of course, when I get my 078s, I can sell it for the same 499 USD in ten seconds, but I don't want to give up the grinder I got at such a big discount. My idea is to change 078s to 078 when I get the survey. Honestly, I ask myself almost every day, "Why do you even need anything else if Niche Zero makes such great espresso from dark beans?" Maybe in a year or so I'll buy a DF83 v2 with espresso burrs (or something else) to enjoy 3 grinders on the countertop and then my wife will call me a psychiatric ambulance.

So far I've been making coffee in the French press every few days, but Lance says the 078 is the best grinder for pour over in the $2000 range. Those words are intriguing. I think my interest in non-espresso methods will be heightened by the 078.

mycatsnameisbernie

#619: Post by mycatsnameisbernie »

Ursego wrote:If that's really the case, then I am in trouble
Don't panic about what one reviewer says. Although Lance didn't go gaga over the 078s like he did over the 078, his final videos and follow-up written comparison comments were much more positive about the 078s than Charlie was.

There's been an animated discussion on the Espresso Aficionados Discord on why Charlie's experience was so different. Theories run everywhere from operator error to a misaligned grinder.

I'm sticking with my 078s pledge to upgrade my Specialita.

Ursego

#620: Post by Ursego »

Somebody wrote in the Sculptor chat:
If you don't like it, by the time the 078 turbo can be purchased independently so you can swap
This is also one possibility.