New Timemore Sculptor Grinders 064 064s 078 078s - Page 14

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
coffeeOnTheBrain

#131: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

Assuming the info is correct and changing between 2 smaller white lines means about 5 microns in burr gap this equals turning the dial a little less than 2 degrees (given it has 18 bigger steps and a little bit more).
2 degrees is not terribly much wiggle room but might be enough.
I am writing this t o point out that while is might very well be 5 microns per smaller line it is misleading to say 5 microns per click. The later would be great. The actual behavior might be ok.

malling

#132: Post by malling replying to coffeeOnTheBrain »

It can obviously not be per click on a stepless grinder, it's a collar adjustment fundamentally and like all such it's more an approximate change per markings.

LObin

#133: Post by LObin »

pomelo wrote:Having the espresso range close to 0 was my concern as well. Changing the zero point makes sense, but I'm always afraid about pushing the burrs "too close" and damaging them. That said, I already put in an order on Kickstarter for the 078s...
I feel like Kyle should've reminded, at that exact moment in his video, that he is using a 078 with the Turbo burrs and not the production 078s. I'm almost certain that this won't be as much of an issue on the production model.
He also should've zeroed out his 078 properly before mentioning grinding at 0,5.
I'm guessing releasing that video as quickly as possible was important for YouTube's algorithm. Still he made (again) a remarkable job with the cinematography.
LMWDP #592

DenisSabou

#134: Post by DenisSabou »

I find if funny that people need influencia media validation to buy a product. You have all the info from the producer, make a decision buy it or not. You need a grinder? yes, then buy it, it not like you are glued with it. you can just get rid of it if it's not what you wanted.

ab

#135: Post by ab »

I'm not sure I would categorize it as media influence and more so that these companies are more promotion than truth.

They are willing to send their grinders in hopes of more sales. If the "influencers" are posting videos as objectively as they can, that's a win for people that are still unsure about the marketing vs the truth.

Kyle has made some fantastic coffee - better than almost everything I've had in my local area, including coffee companies that people rave about online.

Just because they are on YouTube doesn't mean that we can't use their knowledge, opinions and reach to our advantage.

DenisSabou

#136: Post by DenisSabou »

My point is not to ditch people making videos about products. This new type of advertising is selling, and i'm not influenced by anything like that. I dont buy a product cause I've seen 5 or 10 videos about it. I buy a product cause I need it or I want to try it, and you should do the same.

It would make no difference if a product has 50 videos on youtube or none, if I can get the basic specs from the producer that is enough for me. I got the first sculptor in Europe in november last year before we knew anything about it, I only knew burr size, motor power, rpm.

We should not split a video about a product in pieces, super analyze it, make a whole phd about it as the presentation from one maker wont translate to another. Just like the use of the grinder from a user to another, there will be points in using it that will annoy some while others wont even see it as a problem.

My advice was always like that, if you need or want for various reasons to try the grinder, just get it. If you dont like it you sell it at a minor loss. In the end we are not dying with the same grinder so sooner or later you will change it anyway.

coffeeOnTheBrain

#137: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

I believe Kyle said he uses the setting of below 1.5 to below 1. Let's just assume that means from .5 to 1.5 this would be 10 smaller increments and hence about 50 microns.
He probably tested with similar roasts in which case this would probably mean that the resolution is fine.
If he tested with a light and a dark roast, or with a Ethiopian and decaf I would doubt the 5 microns per smaller increment statement, but he probably didn't. If though, it would probably be an issue.

I wish that YouTubers would always include context like that. I wouldn't watch the videos though, they would be too long ;)

GregoryJ

#138: Post by GregoryJ »

DenisSabou wrote:I find if funny that people need influencia media validation to buy a product. You have all the info from the producer, make a decision buy it or not. You need a grinder? yes, then buy it, it not like you are glued with it. you can just get rid of it if it's not what you wanted.
Please keep conversation about YouTubers, etc. in their own topics, such as this one: Lance Hedrick and other coffee influencers

Ivyb82

#139: Post by Ivyb82 »

I'm sorry, but that's an ignorant mentality to have. You expect people to just simply purchase items, only using information from the manufacturer? Why are you even bothering leaving us detailed review's of your 078, if you believe it's of no importance? You're lucky to have the disposable income and the time to blindly purchase items and then resell them, if they aren't to your liking.

malling

#140: Post by malling »

With all due respect it gives more confidence in a product, when said product is reviewed when the product comes from a relatively unknown and small manufacturer or a manufacturer with no experience in delivering similar product before.

When someone with a certain degree of expertise and pedigree test and see if it has the mechanical and build quality and integrity to handle the job in a satisfactory way, it just gives more confidence in that the product can live up to a certain requirements and standards, It becomes even more so when said product doesn't use standardised parts, in this case burrs. This is especially true for KS where we valuate a product we haven't seen and cannot touch or even return if it doesn't live up to expectations.

YouTuber is a business, yes that is true, but they cannot praise a product more then the product can handle, nor can they praise a product to a higher degree then to what they as an individual can stand in for. If they do, then that will eventually backfire on them. They are very dependent on a certain degree of reliability, honesty and trust from their followers. If they break that fragile agreement with their followers by being dishonest, it won't take long for them to start loosing their platform. Followers aren't that loyal that they sre overlooking a break of trust.

It's a delicate balance by keeping both supplier and audience satisfied if you go down that road.