New Timemore Sculptor Grinders 064 064s 078 078s - Page 12

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jonk

#111: Post by Jonk »

Neither of the options seem ideal for espresso only usage. But for someone like me, who likes to switch between pour over and espresso using the same burrs, I'm hoping it'll be fine with both the 64mm and 78mm grinders. Even an Ode can do it and I think we can assume that the 064 motor is more powerful and that we'll have a bit more granularity out of the box.

Rowsell mentions in the comments that he doesn't like espresso with SSP MP, so I think his preferences are different from Hedrick's - leaning towards more body perhaps.

Iceman2913

#112: Post by Iceman2913 replying to Jonk »

Kyle says that but he uses ssp 98 hu burrs for his espresso and filter on the regular. Even Lance has stated that he goes back and forth between the ulf and 078 for filter coffee lately, depending on what he is in the mood for.

Really depends, people's preference and taste changes based on the day and mood. I think once you reach a certain point it just becomes diminishing returns and slight differences.

edit: I think the fact that we are already comparing these grinders to those that cost 2-4k speaks for itself.
★ Helpful

ibsprocket

#113: Post by ibsprocket »

Jonk wrote:Neither of the options seem ideal for espresso only usage
How would the 078s not be ideal for espresso only usage? This is exactly what I intend to use it for, and it seems to fit the bill.

ibsprocket

#114: Post by ibsprocket »

Iceman2913 wrote: edit: I think the fact that we are already comparing these grinders to those that cost 2-4k speaks for itself.
The fact that they are being mentioned in the same breath is what is most impressive indeed. You can buy EIGHT 078's for the price of an EG-1. I've been on the fence so many times to get an EG-1, but I'd still have to change the burrs out every time I want to switch between espresso and filter given my preferences. I like to have both in the same morning, so this is not feasible. Now I can have a two grinder setup for $998...still 1/4 the price of a single EG-1.

Jonk

#115: Post by Jonk »

ibsprocket wrote:How would the 078s not be ideal for espresso only usage? This is exactly what I intend to use it for, and it seems to fit the bill.
It seems the adjustment dial leaves something to be desired when it comes to fine tuning the grind. Not that I'm worried, but if I wanted something exclusively for espresso I'd look for something with more range. Sure, even the clicks on an Ode worked out for my use as I'm able to change other factors, but in my mind an ideal espresso focused grinder would offer more granularity. Some have also reported drift while grinding, which could be a more major issue.

LObin

#116: Post by LObin »

ibsprocket wrote:How would the 078s not be ideal for espresso only usage? This is exactly what I intend to use it for, and it seems to fit the bill.

Kyle Rowsell mentioned in his review that he was very close to 0 point, at about 0,5 so it may be hard to make small adjustments or pull shots with longer contact time with certain coffees.
He did mention he could zero out his 078S some more so he may have more room to go finer. Playing with RPM is also an option.
LMWDP #592

gordinho

#117: Post by gordinho »

Finally pulled the trigger on a 78s! I was really set on the df83 v2 but after Kyle review (shout out from Gatineau across the river from Ottawa!) I think the 78s will be great for both filter and espresso.

The only downside to 78s is the lack of other burrs on the market for when upgradetitis sets in ahah this is what made me consider the 64s but yeah.. that motor sounds somehow anemic to me. In a perfect world the 78s would go down to 400rpm for that single time I would likely use it lol

Iceman2913

#118: Post by Iceman2913 »

It should be noted that he had the 078 model and not the 078s model. The 078 model seems to be semi- step less. Our coffee shelter had the same problem as Kyle since they are using the 078 pre production model as well. Just something to keep in mind for those leaning towards the 078 model with ideas to swap burrs. Though lance states it could be modded.

malling

#119: Post by malling »

Jonk wrote:It seems the adjustment dial leaves something to be desired when it comes to fine tuning the grind. Not that I'm worried, but if I wanted something exclusively for espresso I'd look for something with more range. Sure, even the clicks on an Ode worked out for my use as I'm able to change other factors, but in my mind an ideal espresso focused grinder would offer more granularity. Some have also reported drift while grinding, which could be a more major issue.
Fine tuning has as much to do with burrs, put the 98mm brew in a grinder like P100 with plenty of resolution and you still can hardly adjust it! Put the HU in an EK an you get far more setting to play with although the potential resolution in an P100, Max and Nautilus is potentially larger with same burrs. When you have a vertical mounted then the feeder/ prebreaker feeding speed also start influencing on that aspect as well.

ibsprocket

#120: Post by ibsprocket »

Jonk wrote:It seems the adjustment dial leaves something to be desired when it comes to fine tuning the grind. Not that I'm worried, but if I wanted something exclusively for espresso I'd look for something with more range. Sure, even the clicks on an Ode worked out for my use as I'm able to change other factors, but in my mind an ideal espresso focused grinder would offer more granularity. Some have also reported drift while grinding, which could be a more major issue.
Fair enough. I think just shifting the range finer by adjusting the set point would fix the adjustment issue. If you were using the grinder for solely espresso you wouldn't care about losing french press by shifting finer. If it's true that each tick is 5.6 microns, that resolution is pretty ideal for dialing in espresso. EG-1 is 5 microns. Drift, however, would be a serious issue.