New Timemore Sculptor Grinders 064 064s 078 078s - Page 11

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ibsprocket

#101: Post by ibsprocket »

Agreed. I'm sure Lance will do one. I think I trust his palate the most. He should be receiving the other versions on Monday.

malling

#102: Post by malling »

ibsprocket wrote:Agreed, at its current Kickstarter price. It's slightly cheaper than a new Vario plus, but has much larger vertical burrs, variable speed, better workflow, brushless larger motor etc etc. I'm curious where the actual retail price will settle. Maybe $599?

It's interesting to see what people are going for in the Kickstarter. There are so few people pledging for the filter models. I'm most excited for the 078 personally. To have potentially EG1 level filter quality for $499 seems too good to be true. I guess most people are willing to settle slightly for cup clarity in favor of espresso versatility.
I backed the 78s as the normal isn't available for other the North Americans on KS. This was caused by the fact it's already been announced on the European market those KS don't allow it. Personally I think they should have made it available as a add on.

But I will definitely get the burrs just for the sport when those get available.

But then my main reason was also for espresso usage not filter as I already got an Ode with Cast that works fairly well for that. I did consider upgrading the Ode with the 64 version as add on but the reviews has been somewhat more critical and it seems to suffer almost as badly as Ode with these roast, making RPM more less unusable for the light stuff I drink.

On the other hand just measured the retention in Ode after clean nearly 1gram

boren

#103: Post by boren »

Both the 064s and 078s are very appealing. The 064s supports a wide range of third-party burrs and its price is super low for a variable-RPM grinder. The 078s uses a 400W motor and a wider RPM range (though unfortunately it only goes higher, rather than lower than the 064s). At the end I decided to pledge for both. I have until May 13 to decide if I only keep one, but most likely I'll get both. I plan to do my own comparisons, including triangle blind cupping, and will then decide which grinder to keep and which one to sell.

Iceman2913

#104: Post by Iceman2913 »

Ivyb82 wrote:I would love to see a blind taste off, between the 078 and the 078s. I'm also curious about the 064, but it seems to be an afterthought from Timemore.
this is what I am interested in. I would never trust just one person's review /taste preference to make a purchasing decision, better to always listen to what regular consumers are saying, but unfortunately, we don't have that option on the 078s yet. Once Lance drops his review and ourcoffeeshelter drops their follow-up videos then consumers will have a better idea.

That being said, Kyle uses a p100 and ode gen 2 on his personal bar and has said the same thing about the 078 turbo burrs that everyone else has said. He even wrote in a comment that he thinks the 078 turbo burrs taste better than all the 64 burrs on the market. I think his taste preference is the same as Lance, he just also keeps in mind that regular consumers may not need or want the top-end models. I want to see Lance's thoughts because he personally uses an EG-1 which both have compared the 078s flat burrs.

I want to see the 078s compared to the EG-1 core burrs, 64 mm ssp mp, 078, and gen 2 burrs.

bringyoutomyhell

#105: Post by bringyoutomyhell »

ibsprocket wrote:Agreed. I'm sure Lance will do one. I think I trust his palate the most. He should be receiving the other versions on Monday.
He said he'll have a review in early May though, so he can test them more, but leaving time to cancel the KS eventually

Jonk

#106: Post by Jonk »

Also backed two models, but picked the 064 'turbo' burrs instead. I guess I'm not expecting stellar results from 064S, so I'd rather get to try out the small turbo burrs. I don't think they would design them just as an afterthought, although Chestnut X is an example where Timemore's experimentation didn't work out according to reviews.

I will probably put either SSP CV1 or UM1 in the 064 anyway to be able to grind for some form of espresso. So far all reviewers had said it's possible even for light roasts without the failsafe kicking in. Apparently SSP MP might be fine at 800 RPM, though SSP HU and 064S required turning it up according to Rowsell and Our Coffee Shelter.

Primacog

#107: Post by Primacog »

On paper, the 78s sounds like an unparalleled value for money combo for those who use light and medium roasts as well. If it fulfils its apparent potential and given its features, it could even threaten the hegemony of the titan grinders like the eg-1 and the lagom p100 and kafatek grinders at many times cheaper!
LMWDP #729

LObin

#108: Post by LObin »

Ourcoffeeshelter tested the 64mm SSP HU in the 064S and they wrote that the low torque and difficulty to make very fine adjustments in the espresso range isn't ideal. They mentioned having to grind at the highest RPM because of the agressive cut patterns of the HU and the load they put on the motor.
There's a bit of context missing here so I'd wait before making an assessment.
I'm wondering how the 064S would behave with the Cast and MP for espresso... I'm guessing Lance's review will answer that question.

In any case, if the stock 64mm burrs are indeed "better" than the Italmill, the value for the price is still outstanding, SSP burrs or not.
LMWDP #592

malling

#109: Post by malling »

Well Kyle preferred the 78s over the other 64mm, so I think it is safe to start assuming these burrs won't fall entirely to pieces the way their handgrinder burrs kinda did. It might not satisfy Hedrick 100%, but he also has a very specific preference and he always valuate things not as highly if these don't line up with this preference.

So it's mainly going to be just subjective from this point forward and more in line dos these burrs deliver that specific profile that given person is after. It's all fun and all to compare it to Core burrs but most aren't really looking at either, as it's in complete opposite part of the price scale and target audiences. So it's more for fun and games and curiosity how far we come in burr development for lower price offerings. Expecting or even requiring that sort of performance is certainly pushing the envelope a little too much imho.

Personally I hope these aren't as one dimensional as those MP burrs, that was kinda disappointing, I just don't fancy burrs that suppress certain things in a coffee or blend it into a generic taste like italmill or the HU. The cast is fine as a do it all kinda burrset. I hope the 78S burrs is a notch up from Cast64 and that the Turbo improves on where the MP 64 falls apart, if that is the case I really think this delivers what could and should be expected everything above that is just Icing on the cake.

Iceman2913

#110: Post by Iceman2913 »

LObin wrote:Ourcoffeeshelter tested the 64mm SSP HU in the 064S and they wrote that the low torque and difficulty to make very fine adjustments in the espresso range isn't ideal. They mentioned having to grind at the highest RPM because of the agressive cut patterns of the HU and the load they put on the motor.
There's a bit of context missing here so I'd wait before making an assessment.
video

I'm wondering how the 064S would behave with the Cast and MP for espresso... I'm guessing Lance's review will answer that question.

In any case, if the stock 64mm burrs are indeed "better" than the Italmill, the value for the price is still outstanding, SSP burrs or not.
this confirms what Kyle said in his review, for the 064s u you have to grind at the highest or close to it highest rpm when grinding for espresso. He says the grinder enters a failsafe mode at low rpm when grinding for espresso, but notes the 078/078s does not have this problem at even the lowest rpm.

the 064s model has a power of 150 and jumps to 180 at the highest rpm.