New Timemore Sculptor Grinders 064 064s 078 078s - Page 20

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
M60smurf

#191: Post by M60smurf »

Hey All, something I have noticed is that regarding the 078s has anyone actually compared to the 078? The materials, build quality etc. It seemed like both Lance and Kyle have 078 (Kyle had the 078s burrs). The hopper materiel looks to be different which makes me wonder if other things build quality specific will be different. I'm not thrilled that it looks like the 078s will not have the same hopper as the 078.

Iceman2913

#192: Post by Iceman2913 replying to M60smurf »

No one has a 078s build model yet. Lance received a 078 model that is likely the real production we will see. Kyle and Lance both received 078s burrs to install themselves.

Edit: I believe kyle has the same build 078 as the one Lance just received since they got theirs within a month of each other.

malling

#193: Post by malling »

M60smurf wrote:Hey All, something I have noticed is that regarding the 078s has anyone actually compared to the 078? The materials, build quality etc. It seemed like both Lance and Kyle have 078 (Kyle had the 078s burrs). The hopper materiel looks to be different which makes me wonder if other things build quality specific will be different. I'm not thrilled that it looks like the 078s will not have the same hopper as the 078.
No one has seen a 78s as it's probably not even build yet or are only starting being so. It's outer is going to be as good as identical to 78, manufacturing wise simply make sense to do it that way. Probably the only difference is a minor change in making it true stepless and burrs but that's probably about it.

The hopper material is the same, the difference you seeing is the upgrade on the lid and that the one is showing the black version, but the none S version will be the same as that it won't have the complete clear hopper of the white either.

M60smurf

#194: Post by M60smurf »

malling wrote:No one has seen a 78s as it's probably not even build yet or are only starting being so. It's outer is going to be as good as identical to 78, manufacturing wise simply make sense to do it that way. Probably the only difference is a minor change in making it true stepless and burrs but that's probably about it.
I hadn't considered that at least it would make sense from a manufacturing standpoint, and that makes a ton of sense to me. I'm not sure I follow your conclusion regarding the hopper materiel. Are you saying that 078s (white or black) will have the clear(ish) hopper design? From the pics on timemores website it looks like it is color matched to the body of the grinder, which I think is slightly less appealing.

malling

#195: Post by malling replying to M60smurf »

I refer to this

It's clear it's not entirely transparent as the white but it some sort of semi transparent black plastic.

Vs this

Both 78 and 78s is going to have that

It's the 64(s) that has the ugly none see through plastic

What you think off is probably this, do notice this is actually the 78 not the 78s

Finally this from the video it's clear that here it's the semi transparent black I mentioned above

M60smurf

#196: Post by M60smurf »

malling wrote:I refer to this

It's clear it's not entirely transparent as the white but it some sort of semi transparent
Thanks, I had missed that for sure, and it definitely seems that you are correct. Will be glad to see an actual 078s be reviewed.

As long as it's not the same materiel as the 064 I'm happy. I much prefer the look of the 078 hopper.

Primacog

#197: Post by Primacog »

That seems to be a very informative review so thanks for linking it for us.
LMWDP #729

bgn

#198: Post by bgn »

I liked the guy from India.
Will be curious to see thoughts on the 064.

Primacog

#199: Post by Primacog »

malling wrote:No one has seen a 78s as it's probably not even build yet or are only starting being so. It's outer is going to be as good as identical to 78, manufacturing wise simply make sense to do it that way. Probably the only difference is a minor change in making it true stepless and burrs but that's probably about it.

The hopper material is the same, the difference you seeing is the upgrade on the lid and that the one is showing the black version, but the none S version will be the same as that it won't have the complete clear hopper of the white either.
It would be smart for timemore to take heed to the feedback of the reviewers and improve the 78s before it is released. Eg the popping of beans
LMWDP #729

Iceman2913

#200: Post by Iceman2913 »

I like the look of the hopper but think they could have made it a lot better, I can see it getting annoying for pop ups / commercial settings. That being said, the dual magnet is super cool and shows they were aware of the problem. Which makes me believe they might add some small adjustments to the 078s build.

Timemore needs to make sure these grinders are at the specialty coffee expo.

Edit: I don't think timemore will have enough time to fix the hopper problem entirely, at least not for this year.