New Timemore Sculptor Grinders 064 064s 078 078s - Page 6

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Iceman2913

#51: Post by Iceman2913 »

EvanOz85 wrote:Is it actually a fines collector though? I've never seen Timemore marketing it as that. It appears to me to just be a different take on a knocker. The grounds I've seen ejected from it in various video are definitely not all fines. I've only seen one source claiming it's a fines collector, while everywhere else just says it's a knocker.
Just a knocker, with so far the easiest way to shift fines and chaff.

malling

#52: Post by malling »

EvanOz85 wrote:Is it actually a fines collector though? I've never seen Timemore marketing it as that. It appears to me to just be a different take on a knocker. The grounds I've seen ejected from it in various video are definitely not all fines. I've only seen one source claiming it's a fines collector, while everywhere else just says it's a knocker.
You can't really do a fines collector without sieves, however you can do a chaff as already done on another grinder. But yes its fundamentally a knocker however as plus 90% of what is left there are going to be fines and chaff it's sort of acting as one. I also didn't knock out my EK when brewing filter before after and there where not really many larger then 200um particles getting stuck. The same with Ode the most of the retained grinds tend to be chaff and below 200um particles.

jfjj
Supporter ♡

#53: Post by jfjj »

It looks more like a chaff collector than fines, but in the videos of reviews I do notice quite a bit of retention pre knock. So while i like the new knocker I am curious on the real world impact on retention. I would like it if just caught the chaff though.
- Jean

bgn

#54: Post by bgn »

Is the 78 a physically larger body machine than the one housing the 64 burrs?
Considering adding the 78 to my 64 order.

ibsprocket

#55: Post by ibsprocket »

Yes. The dimensions are listed on the Kickstarter in cm

Iceman2913

#56: Post by Iceman2913 »

Timemore just confirmed they will sell burrs separately on their Facebook page.

Ivyb82

#57: Post by Ivyb82 »

How much do burrs typically cost?

marcoffee

#58: Post by marcoffee »

Hello!

Some first impressions and notes with around almost 1kg run in.

(other equipment for reference, 155 Kalita Tsubame, Orea V3, 1Zpresso Zp6 original, OE Apex, HFG64 w SSP Brew Burrs v1)

1400 RPM brews are meh with the coffees and laminar flow recipe (not forgiving with roast issues) I've tried so far. 1400 RPM brews come off thin and sour and harsh going coarser or finer. Brews here are flat, hollow, and with a weird representation of sweetness. I mean you can taste the tasting notes on the bag, it's just not pleasant.

1100 RPM brews where I was doing the most initial testing created really great brews but with slightly more developed roasts brews are still great but with that slight but definite burnt popcorn note which wouldn't be present on an Apex or SSP brew burrs brew.

Dropping the RPM to 800RPM removes that edge and eliminates that popcorn note entirely. It adds some body as well but you lose some vibrance or juiciness. There is still some acidity to the same coffee but it seems both ends, acidity and bitterness, are tapered at the lowest RPM. I'd say 800RPM is where you should be if you're not confident with the roast.

I am currently finding the upper limit of RPM for these roasts and my recipes and I've been living at 1000 RPM where some edge is taken off but cups are vibrant and delicious.

Basically amazing brews so far. Cleaner and more vibrant than the Zp6 on great coffees but less forgiving with roast at higher RPMs. The 64mm SSP Brew Burrs at least on a hand grinder (low RPM) create lighter bodied cups and are more forgiving with bitterness, basically a more transparent, lighter bodied Zp6. If you prefer lighter bodied delicate representations of your coffees, I'd still stick to the SSP. I personally use the Zp6 more often than the Apex and SSP because I normally prefer a bit more intensity and because not all my coffees are fancy inherently complex ones where the Apex shines. With less fancy coffees on a light roast the Apex is kind of just flat, really really sweet, but flat.

Overall I recommend the 078 but you do need to play around with an RPM to figure out where you want to live in based on your recipe and coffees. So far I can recommend 800-1000RPM. Brews are really great with a bit more body and intensity than the Apex or SSPs. I would say profile wise it's somewhere between a Zp6 and the Apex though closer to the Zp6. Quality of brew though I'd say closer to the Apex.

Will see if this changes with some more break-in but I doubt it.

bgn

#59: Post by bgn »

The Timemore has variable speed? Or are you using a variac.

Frenchman

#60: Post by Frenchman »

I think it is a knocker. Still, it seems like a well designed one. I backed the 078S to go with my Argos, and hopefully be able to also do filter without too many turns of the wheel (my Key is too impractical for that, not to mention other flaws for espresso).
LMWDP #712