New Timemore Sculptor Grinders 064 064s 078 078s - Page 19

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Primacog

#181: Post by Primacog »

Ursego wrote:Doesn't the 78s need bellows? I am just backed it, and I've never heard about bellows for Sculptor.
It is said not to need bellows by those who reviewed the 78 version, i believe though it does come with a Mr puff type of tool. I sure hope it doesn't require that Mr puff because I would like not to have to use the bellows on my df64
LMWDP #729

twjacobsen

#182: Post by twjacobsen »

malling wrote:... complete faff to align, clean burrs on ...
Can you think of any other grinder in this price bracket that is *not* that? :D My Specialita is worse I'd say, from what we know yet, and that's a one-trick pony. My Baratza Encore is definitely worse as well! So I guess ultra-alignment, magnetic burrs, no-tools-needed disassembly is one of the things you pay 10x for ;)

DenisSabou

#183: Post by DenisSabou »

I dont use rdt or bellows for 078. Im above a few hundred brews with it already.

I use the blower to clean the deep catch cup above the sink. Sometimes when I feel I need it, I use the blower above the sink the clean out the remaining particles of chaff that sit on top of the grinds. The ones on the sides of the cup I sweet using 1 finger and the ones stuck in the chute I knock them out to the bin.

From what I know people who used rdt into the beans (specially if not using an atomizer) got beans stuck at the slope of the hopper cause the angle is not so steep. Since I never used RDT I can't answer you.

Also seassoned the grinder with some failed roasts of mine that were literally green, like not cracked and 130+ agtron. The grinder never stalled at 50% of the set rpm.

OBOB

#184: Post by OBOB »

Thank you Milligan, ibsprocket, mycatsnameisbernie, Primacog, and Frenchman! In retrospect, I should not have listed the P100 which was more wishful thinking so my choice would more appropriately be between the P64 and Timemore 78 and 78s. I'm very grateful as a long time lurker who's first post received such great personal information and much useful product evaluations.

I've corresponded with both Option O and their distributor and it appears their next shipment of units which will be within the next 2 months will probably not cover their preorder/waitlists respectively--I refuse to commit my funds for an indefinite time span. So I hope the YouTube reviews are accurate and perhaps if enough of these units are sold there will be other choices for burr sets in the future.

I will probably order both the 078 and 078s since we drink pour over, French press, and espresso here.

Jonk

#185: Post by Jonk »

twjacobsen wrote:My Specialita is worse I'd say, from what we know yet, and that's a one-trick pony. My Baratza Encore is definitely worse as well!
You've got quick access to the burrs in the Specialita and 3 vs. 2 screws, so aligning is easier. Cleaning is perhaps better on a 064/078 in the sense that there's no chute to clog in the first place.. But an Encore is more convenient than both on that front. Just not very precise.

Iceman2913

#186: Post by Iceman2913 »

OBOB wrote:Thank you Milligan, ibsprocket, mycatsnameisbernie, Primacog, and Frenchman! In retrospect, I should not have listed the P100 which was more wishful thinking so my choice would more appropriately be between the P64 and Timemore 78 and 78s. I'm very grateful as a long time lurker who's first post received such great personal information and much useful product evaluations.

I've corresponded with both Option O and their distributor and it appears their next shipment of units which will be within the next 2 months will probably not cover their preorder/waitlists respectively--I refuse to commit my funds for an indefinite time span. So I hope the YouTube reviews are accurate and perhaps if enough of these units are sold there will be other choices for burr sets in the future.

I will probably order both the 078 and 078s since we drink pour over, French press, and espresso here.
sounds like the 078s would meet all of your demands and the extra 500 could go to brewing gear and coffee.

timemore has confirmed on their facebook page that the burrs will be available to purchase separately later this year.

a new review for the 078 just dropped from a really great and straight forward reviewer.
i find this review to be more in-depth than kyle's and lance's in regard to the 078 model itself.

malling

#187: Post by malling »

Lance hasn't done a full reviews of them yet, only a preview. His bigger review will arrive about 40 days from now.

mycatsnameisbernie

#188: Post by mycatsnameisbernie »

OBOB wrote:I refuse to commit my funds for an indefinite time span ... I will probably order both the 078 and 078s since we drink pour over, French press, and espresso here.
Keep in mind that you may have a long wait for the Timemore grinders. Kickstarter projects rarely ship on schedule. Even if Timemore is able to start production next month as they state in their KS listing, it will take some time so fulfil the orders of the now over 7000 backers ahead of you. It's very likely that you could get a P64 much sooner.

If you intend to buy separate grinders for brew and espresso, you might want to purchase one of those now from a different source.

Iceman2913

#189: Post by Iceman2913 »

malling wrote:Lance hasn't done a full reviews of them yet, only a preview. His bigger review will arrive about 40 days from now.
true, lance calls his an "early review" but in the meantime, this is still the most indepth review and hands on impression for someone looking at the 078 model and burrs.

ibsprocket

#190: Post by ibsprocket »

I also really enjoyed this review. His focus on the tactile and auditory aspects for me were more important than any taste tests. For Timemore to be able to achieve this level of design refinement with a first generation product at this price point is impressive. I hope people 3D print some better hoppers, or that a V2 hopper will fit these early machines.