New Timemore Sculptor Grinders 064 064s 078 078s - Page 15

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
HB
Admin

#141: Post by HB »

Ivyb82 wrote:I'm sorry, but that's an ignorant mentality to have.
Please take a look at the site's Guidelines for productive online discussion as your post contravenes at least two of them. This thread is on cooldown for the weekend.
Dan Kehn

bgn

#142: Post by bgn »

I backed the 064 without knowing much about it except that it seemed to fit my desire to buy a cheap brew dedicated grinder. I don't have a sophisticated palate and I only make coffee brew style on weekends. The more I read and see of it I think it will suit me well.

Iceman2913

#143: Post by Iceman2913 »

Kyle made a follow up post on Instagram,

From what I understand,

or filter only: 078 over 64 ssp mp, prefers ssp mp over the 078s due to a slightly cleaner cup. Says 078s are better than Gen 2 and have better flavor separation.

For espresso only: 064s for texture on espresso and ability to swap burrs. 078s for better straight espresso shots and clarity.

For best of both worlds: 078s.

Build quality: 078/078s. Apparently the 078/s is designed more for commercial/cafe settings and the 064/s for general home use.

Edited post because there is not enough information to show if the 078 models dial will shift when using 078s burrs. WIll wait for their follow-up videos.

goldkirby

#144: Post by goldkirby »

Hmm, I hope they have that drift fixed for the 078s model. If anything, maybe teflon tape on the auger will help any drift? I currently have backed both the 64s and 78s, since I kinda want to replace my ode with the 64s and throw my SSP MPs in them.

Gjdakin

#145: Post by Gjdakin »

Where did Lance and Kyle report the Dial shifting? I'd like to read up on the posts, but cannot find them on their socials.

malling

#146: Post by malling »

Iceman2913 wrote:Kyle made a follow up post on Instagram,

From what I understand,

or filter only: 078 over 64 ssp mp, prefers ssp mp over the 078s due to a slightly cleaner cup. Says 078s are better than Gen 2 and have better flavor separation.

For espresso only: 064s for texture on espresso and ability to swap burrs. 078s for better straight espresso shots and clarity.

For best of both worlds: 078s.

Build quality: 078/078s. Note, the 078 dial shifts when using 078s burrs as noted by Lance and Kyle. Apparently the 078/s is designed more for commercial/cafe settings and the 064/s for general home use
So basically what you would expect, it's going to be interesting to see if there is dial slip on the 78s or if this is only an issue of the older 78 using more hybrid focused burrs in espresso range.

I guess we know more like 4 days prior end of campaign.

Lance also shortly mentioned the 64s shaking a bit while grinding espresso, he certainly didn't seem thrilled with the catch cup and the knocker on first impressions seemed cheaper. His didn't stall at 800rpm At basically zero I do wander if it makes a difference that he is at 230v rather then 110/120v, as those so far reporting that has been American based?

bringyoutomyhell

#147: Post by bringyoutomyhell »

I'm very curious about how the 064 stacks against the 078S for filter. I guess at the moment only Lance can do this comparison

jfjj
Supporter ♡

#148: Post by jfjj »

The dial shift concerns me a bit since both Kyle and Lance only received the 078 but swapped the 078s burrs. Sounds like the 078s may make more sense but then what happens when you put the 078 burrs in it?
- Jean

DenisSabou

#149: Post by DenisSabou »

Where did you guys see someone saying something about the drift? Or pointing out it drifts? I saw both videos/lives and did not see such thing, I suspect it's false information spread over the internet.

I would appreciate if you can point out where in the video they show it drifts.

Iceman2913

#150: Post by Iceman2913 replying to DenisSabou »

Not false information. It's in both of their videos where they use a 078 with 078s burrs. It's also mentioned in the comments of said videos.

I don't think the burrs are shifting, just the dial from the looks of both videos.