New Timemore Sculptor Grinders 064 064s 078 078s - Page 13

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
coffeeOnTheBrain

#121: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

ibsprocket wrote:Fair enough. I think just shifting the range finer by adjusting the set point would fix the adjustment issue. If you were using the grinder for solely espresso you wouldn't care about losing french press by shifting finer. If it's true that each tick is 5.6 microns, that resolution is pretty ideal for dialing in espresso. EG-1 is 5 microns. Drift, however, would be a serious issue.
Just curious really, who did say esch tick is 5.6 microns?

ibsprocket

#122: Post by ibsprocket replying to coffeeOnTheBrain »

Someone asked timemore directly and took a screenshot. They said the 064s is 5 microns and the 078s is 5.6. Although they've often given differing answers on a variety of technical questions, so who knows how much credence to give this information.

Primacog

#123: Post by Primacog replying to ibsprocket »

Do you mean the 78 is 5.6 microns? The 78s is supposed to be stepless..
LMWDP #729

Primacog

#124: Post by Primacog »

ibsprocket wrote:Fair enough. I think just shifting the range finer by adjusting the set point would fix the adjustment issue. If you were using the grinder for solely espresso you wouldn't care about losing french press by shifting finer. If it's true that each tick is 5.6 microns, that resolution is pretty ideal for dialing in espresso. EG-1 is 5 microns. Drift, however, would be a serious issue.
Roswell mentioned in the comments of his YouTube video that there was no drift for the 78 and 64s that he was using. Hopefully the production 78s and 64s will not have that problem either.
LMWDP #729

ibsprocket

#125: Post by ibsprocket »

It's kind of confusing. This makes it seem like in the espresso range there are positions that act like steps for repeatability's sake, but it is ultimately stepless since you can position between them.

ab

#126: Post by ab »

The DF64 is stepless and you can do similar things with a vernier.

So it's probably similar concept.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1237382692/

Primacog

#127: Post by Primacog »

ibsprocket wrote:image

It's kind of confusing. This makes it seem like in the espresso range there are positions that act like steps for repeatability's sake, but it is ultimately stepless since you can position between them.
Thanks- I agree that is confusing.
LMWDP #729

Jonk

#128: Post by Jonk »

I think what they mean is that each white line (and perhaps notch on the side of the dial) equals 5/5.6µm

064S and presumably 078S does not seem to have any real clicks at all, look at the lack of (spring-loaded?) balls and indentations:

5µm sounds good and it basically has 5 times the granularity of a stepped Ode. But keep in mind this is for vertical flat burrs - it's going to have a much more pronounced effect than a 8.8µm click on a horizontal conical burr (that doesn't actually change the burr gap by that much)

You'd have to pay close attention and with burrs like SSP UM1 the whole ristretto-sprover/filter 2.x range would probably fall within those first 2 or 3 numbers, perhaps less with lower RPM. Adding a vernier would be a bit more tricky than on an Ode as there's very little material around the dial. For a sleek, all-purpose grinder it's still a good compromise in my opinion.

pomelo

#129: Post by pomelo »

LObin wrote: Kyle Rowsell mentioned in his review that he was very close to 0 point, at about 0,5 so it may be hard to make small adjustments or pull shots with longer contact time with certain coffees.
He did mention he could zero out his 078S some more so he may have more room to go finer. Playing with RPM is also an option.
Having the espresso range close to 0 was my concern as well. Changing the zero point makes sense, but I'm always afraid about pushing the burrs "too close" and damaging them. That said, I already put in an order on Kickstarter for the 078s...

malling

#130: Post by malling »

It's for every white line 5-6um and for every notch it's the other when those mentioned burrs these comes stock with.

5um is fine enough although you find espresso flat grinders with like half. That said the biggest reason that we see is also simply down to burr. For some burr 5um results in barely any difference others it can be larger differences. So this needs to be seen in the context of that.