Option-O Lagom 01 Discussion - Page 37

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
BoGs
Supporter ♡

#361: Post by BoGs »

I took it apart and cleaned the burrs and the bolts were not even tight, just snug. I was able to tighten the bolts down probably 1/4 turn on bottoms and 1/2 on top burrs. This is extremely disappointing. This only made the shot even worse as at 0 it was spurting out. I am not sure what the process is at the factory but there is something wrong for such an expensive grinder.

I took the safety off and I was able to go another almost ~0.5 beyond 0 with no burrs touching before being able to dial in the espresso. Now I cannot put the magentic safety back on. Seems like my grinder was a friday grinder.

Jeff
Team HB

#362: Post by Jeff »

Burr screws should not be cranked down. They need to be evenly torqued. Over-tightening can lead to various problems, including "taco-ing".

BoGs
Supporter ♡

#363: Post by BoGs »

Jeff wrote:Burr screws should not be cranked down. They need to be evenly torqued. Over-tightening can lead to various problems, including "taco-ing".
Do you happen to know what torque specs would be required for it?

Peter_SVK

#364: Post by Peter_SVK »

Hand feel evenly :D . Once I tried torque wrench 4Nm on my Lagom P64 (the lowest torque I could set on my torque wrench), but 4Nm is HUGE torque for burrs, so I guess much much less, maybe less than 1 Nm.

Jeff
Team HB

#365: Post by Jeff »

I have never gotten anything official from a manufacturer. I typically use 2 N-m for M5 and 3 N-m for M6 burr screws.

BoGs
Supporter ♡

#366: Post by BoGs »

Thank you Peter and Jeff.

I took it apart again and took out my trusty snapon torque wrench unscrewed all the bolts on bottom and top. Torqued them down to 3 N-m put it back together and turned it on going until I heard the burrs chirp. ~0.8 out of sync beyond 0. In the process I also found that you can just turn the top section to reset 0 point which I did.

I am wired today so trying out an espresso will have to wait till tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

slappadabass

#367: Post by slappadabass »

I'd talk to Option-O directly. They're really good at responding. I thought mine was off zero chirp point too but they walked me through things. They also specifically told me if I ever wanted to recalibrate it to email them and they'd again walk me through things step by step.

Just a thought! Such an expensive grinder!

Tintin

#368: Post by Tintin »

can you explain what you did to reset the zero point ? and how much kg have been through your grinder ?

BoGs
Supporter ♡

#369: Post by BoGs »

Tintin wrote:can you explain what you did to reset the zero point ? and how much kg have been through your grinder ?
I put about 2-3kg through it so far. I was having the issue for a bit before actually emailing Option O. They emailed me the process to reset the zero point and I posted it below for others (warning use at your own risk) if you feel more comfortable email Option O - Margaret was great to explain the process.
Before you proceed with another grinding attempt, can you try these steps (after cleaning the burrs and making sure they are free of grind residue):

1) With the grinder turned off, remove the magnetic outer collar.
2) Once you've removed the magnetic outer collar, your grinder should look like this (below). There is a semi-hidden indicator that is aligned to the center. You can use that to read the grind number scale. In the example below, the grinder is adjusted to setting 1.8 (without the magnetic outer collar).
3) With the grinder still turned off and with the magnetic outer collar removed, rotate the adjustment funnel (the top portion with numbers) to adjust the grind setting towards the finer direction. Go all the way until you can't adjust finer anymore.
4) Then back up by adjusting coarser until your grind setting reads about 1.5 (following the example above in step 2)
5) Reinstall the magnetic outer collar. You should then be in the right range now.

Tintin

#370: Post by Tintin »

thx!