New Mazzer grinder announcement - Mazzer Philos

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jimmy_The_Saint

#1: Post by Jimmy_The_Saint »

Mazzer Instagram dropping hints.

Any thoughts on what it could be? As a Mazzer fan I'm curious to find out. Probably a commercial grinder but would be great if it was a home-market GBW.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxvIUOjv4T2/

Jaroslav
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Jaroslav »

Two grinders, one looks like Kony S with ability to grind by weight. And a new set of flats, possibly related to the second new grinder. That's all we know I'd say. Can't wait!

Jaroslav

malling

#3: Post by malling »

It look like a Unimodal type burr, are Mazzer finally waking up to this century, amazing :lol: . I was almost beginning to think that they would never wake up from their slumber.

But I guess better late then never, but they certainly taken their time.
★ Helpful

Jaroslav
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Jaroslav replying to malling »

Is producing a unimodal type burr a sign of some sort of wakefulness?
Jaroslav

malling

#5: Post by malling replying to Jaroslav »

No but it shows your actual following up on market demand, trend and what is actually happening and going on in the industry.

Not having it shows your not paying much attention carrying enough or not reading the market, do that long enough and eventually you end up the exact same place Nokia ended.

Sticking to the past is a sure recipe for killing a company

Jimmy_The_Saint (original poster)

#6: Post by Jimmy_The_Saint (original poster) »

I think there's also a misconception that literally every person in the home coffee sector single doses.

Maybe I'm the only one but I still get very excited about the potential of a fast, bulletproof, on-demand grinder from a company with heritage and features like GBW.

Jaroslav
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Jaroslav »

I couldn't agree more.

Mazzer has always been awake and innovative from my perspective, most noticably in the last 6-7 years. But burrs aside, I agree they took time to release a gravimetric grinder. I'm wondering how long the development took and how it reflects on its performance.

malling wrote:Sticking to the past is a sure recipe for killing a company
This is fortunately not always true. Look at Fender, look at Porsche, many others. Nokia is Finnish, that's all I'll say :)
Jaroslav

malling

#8: Post by malling »

Jimmy_The_Saint wrote:I think there's also a misconception that literally every person in the home coffee sector single doses.

Maybe I'm the only one but I still get very excited about the potential of a fast, bulletproof, on-demand grinder from a company with heritage and features like GBW.
It's not as much about SD but about following up on the trend and development in the commercial segment and on the coffee scene as a whole. By not having products competitors are offering, they are missing out on sales and eventually it's going to hurt the core business as that spreads to the broader market . They need to be more present at the place where development happens and that's the specialty scene, a segment they over the last decade went from being the dominant player to almost vanishing.

Mazzer need to be far more in tune with the market and development and following up and not be constantly trailing development and trends.

And they aren't even trailing on burrs because they have hardly done even an effort there.

They need to show they can also be taken seriously in the specialty scene and that requires they level out what others are doing and deliver a burr that isn't what they usually do.

Spitz.me

#9: Post by Spitz.me »

Jimmy_The_Saint wrote:I think there's also a misconception that literally every person in the home coffee sector single doses.

There's no misconception. What doesn't exist is a single dosing Mazzer for the home barista.
LMWDP #670

malling

#10: Post by malling »

Jaroslav wrote:This is fortunately not always true. Look at Fender, look at Porsche, many others. Nokia is Finnish, that's all I'll say :)
Porsche are making electrical cars, and are working with an Israeli team to make one of the most advanced self driving system... But there always exceptions, fender lost 100m on orders in 2022 even though the overall market was growing.

You can ask almost all Japanese companies how well it went for them ignoring the market.