New Mazzer grinder announcement - Mazzer Philos - Page 34

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
User avatar
bostonbuzz
Posts: 1260
Joined: 13 years ago

#331: Post by bostonbuzz »

I'm very impressed especially by the end of the first video where he says that Mazzer claims the input and the output of the beans into the burrs is matched such that no clumping happens due to slower output in most grinders. Also interested in the auger pre-breaking like a hybrid burr. Seems like Mazzer was extremely late to the game but did a great job.
LMWDP #353

malling
Posts: 2917
Joined: 13 years ago

#332: Post by malling »

The grinder doesn't prebreak so I don't know why it auger was named like that for other than marketing reasons, because it's not the function of it (not physically possible with such design) they clearly went lengths to give a certain feed to the burr as to minimise the effect of bottleneck at burr end, this is particularly an issue with small output burrs like 64mm, that theoretical could cause regrinding especially grinding fine as you do with espresso.

I think vertical is the best design for 64mm as with right design you should be able to slow feed the burrs, how good a job Mazzer done I think is still out for verdict.

jeffreylam98
Posts: 120
Joined: 8 years ago

#333: Post by jeffreylam98 »

The angle of the auger is very huge, I thought the feed rate will be very high ?

Also the height of the auger blade is very tall, I'm not surprised that it cuts beans like a lawnmower

Eiern
Posts: 628
Joined: 9 years ago

#334: Post by Eiern »

With backpressure from mounted burrs it clearly does crush/prebreak the beans as can be seen in the chute in this video from 22:00
you'll see a liquid bed of broken bean fragments dancing around in the chute.

So it seems the test witout burrs mounted doesn't reflect what's actually happening during grinding. Burrs doesn't grind as fast as the auger feeds so beans are hanging out in the auger area for a while.

malling
Posts: 2917
Joined: 13 years ago

#335: Post by malling »

Eiern wrote:With backpressure from mounted burrs it clearly does crush/prebreak the beans as can be seen in the chute in this video from 22:00 video

you'll see a liquid bed of broken bean fragments dancing around in the chute.

So it seems the test witout burrs mounted doesn't reflect what's actually happening during grinding. Burrs doesn't grind as fast as the auger feeds so beans are hanging out in the auger area for a while.
It look like that on pretty much all grinders with an auger whether you remove the burr or not. But don't really account for more than 10-15% in the grinders I tested it on. When you hit spinning metal with a brittle object, especially one with protruding pieces you gonna shatter a certain percentage, additional some will shatter against the edge of the entry hole down to the auger, this is the "liquid" that you see but in truth not a huge percentage of the beans. Yes some beans shatter due to bottle neck but that is true regardless of orientation of the burr.

jeffreylam98
Posts: 120
Joined: 8 years ago

#336: Post by jeffreylam98 »

I think with this kind of high feed rate, the lower part of the stationary burr won't wear unevenly like conventional vertical mounted grinder, as the auger spreads the beans apart while entering the burr pre-breaking part.

Jonk
Posts: 2197
Joined: 4 years ago

#337: Post by Jonk »

jeffreylam98 wrote:I think with this kind of high feed rate, the lower part of the stationary burr won't wear unevenly like conventional vertical mounted grinder, as the auger spreads the beans apart while entering the burr pre-breaking part.
That's unlikely IMO. Only based on my Mahlkönig Guatemala, but that thing absolutely chews trough beans and there's uneven wear on the stationary burr.

Still, it could be years in a home environment before it's at all noticeable (if you want you can rotate it periodically for more even wear). Hopefully those i200D will be quite affordable in any case (anyone else noticing the jagged edges in the videos?) which is one of the exciting things about this grinder, even for someone sticking with an old Mini E or Super Jolly. I have been thinking it looks more like a DRM/Versalab burr than Mahlkönig/SSP, but sounds like it's getting decent reviews so far.

Milligan
Supporter ❤
Posts: 1519
Joined: 2 years ago

#338: Post by Milligan »

Honestly, it looks like grinder worth well over $1000... Something about Spro's material finish is off-putting yet really cool.

Capuchin Monk
Posts: 1272
Joined: 15 years ago

#339: Post by Capuchin Monk »

malling wrote:It look like that on pretty much all grinders with an auger whether you remove the burr or not. But don't really account for more than 10-15% in the grinders I tested it on. When you hit spinning metal with a brittle object, especially one with protruding pieces you gonna shatter a certain percentage, additional some will shatter against the edge of the entry hole down to the auger, this is the "liquid" that you see but in truth not a huge percentage of the beans. Yes some beans shatter due to bottle neck but that is true regardless of orientation of the burr.
Keep in mind that the percentage of breaking also depends on the RPM as shown in the video posted here :arrow: The new DF83v (@ 5:00). If comparing the pre-breaking ability of grinders, the grinding speed needs to be factored in.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤
Posts: 1097
Joined: 11 years ago

#340: Post by jwCrema »

I see the Philos is for sale in Canada: https://caffetech.com/products/mazzer-p ... ee-grinder