New Mazzer grinder announcement - Mazzer Philos - Page 32

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
samsonpvr

#311: Post by samsonpvr »

buckersss wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this an AC motor. It's literally marketed for light commercial duty. It's not meant for grinding retail bags, but why wouldn't be a good budget go to option for a cafe wanting to use it for pour overs. I would think the hesitation with a Weber or kafatek in a cafe is the dc motor.

You think the sweet spot for 83mm is larger than that of 64mm? I think the adjustment mechanism of the grinder makes a bigger difference. I personally don't think 83mm brings any value over 64mm, the opposite infact since the burrs are so much more expensive.
I owned a low volume specialty cafe and can't see this getting any use on our counter. There's no need to take on the extra workflow.

PPapa

#312: Post by PPapa »

It's also not a bulk bag grinder. Not with that hopper or the space under the chute.

Capuchin Monk

#313: Post by Capuchin Monk »

malling wrote: they can sell them as much as they like as build for commercial use as they want, but they are really too fiddly for that
There are cafés using planetary raking WDT despite the need to replace those fiddly needles often. Given the lower price of Philos, I can see multiple installations in a café.

erik82

#314: Post by erik82 »

It can be a great addition for a dedicated brew grinder in a café. A brand with lots of parts and support available and a great reputation for durabllity. And the extra couple of seconds don't matter that much with brew and the workflow is great. If you lack the room or budget for an EK43 it's quite affordable.

The Weber EG-1 is also around 400W and it chewed to everything I threw at it with ease and that's 90KG. The Philos should be strong enough although I do think it should've had variable RPM especially for pourover.

Capuchin Monk

#315: Post by Capuchin Monk »

erik82 wrote:I do think it should've had variable RPM
That's hard to pull off with AC motor. :(

Cgr86

#316: Post by Cgr86 »

Sorry if this is a dumb question but with these burrs, is this grinder intended for a certain roast? Jack of all trades?

malling

#317: Post by malling »

erik82 wrote:It can be a great addition for a dedicated brew grinder in a café. A brand with lots of parts and support available and a great reputation for durabllity. And the extra couple of seconds don't matter that much with brew and the workflow is great. If you lack the room or budget for an EK43 it's quite affordable.

The Weber EG-1 is also around 400W and it chewed to everything I threw at it with ease and that's 90KG. The Philos should be strong enough although I do think it should've had variable RPM especially for pourover.
Price difference isn't the biggest issue for most cafes nor getting them fixed regardless of the major brands, also it's a write off. You will ever only buy this for low volume settings and because you have no need for bag grinding or large bulk brew needs, you also need to think long term.

I seen loads of small places have EK of that exact reason. And not the cheapest espresso machine etc. if you're low on money you won't survive long anyway as it takes capital to start up any business, if you need to turn every penny you're out of business before the end of the year.

400w for brew grinder is sufficient

PPapa

#318: Post by PPapa »

Cgr86 wrote:Sorry if this is a dumb question but with these burrs, is this grinder intended for a certain roast? Jack of all trades?
From the review posted above, I200D are high clarity burrs (more unimodal, would be good for filter, and anything up to medium) and I189D are traditional burrs for dark roasts.

Cgr86

#319: Post by Cgr86 replying to PPapa »

They offer either option?

malling

#320: Post by malling replying to Cgr86 »

not that simple

There is a stock burr configuration that you get from the reseller if you want the old style espresso burr it's a special order.