New Mazzer grinder announcement - Mazzer Philos - Page 21

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jimmy_The_Saint (original poster)

#201: Post by Jimmy_The_Saint (original poster) »

Very true. I'm lucky to have the counter space.

Shamefully the aesthete in me would love grinders that look a little better next to each other. With the Linea Mini, the x54, the Ode and Moccamaster next to each other it looks more like a test lab than a coffee station.

If only Fellow made a matching Ode for espresso!

malling

#202: Post by malling »

Jimmy_The_Saint wrote:Thanks.

To be honest, my filter usage mainly rotates one or two med/dark Brazil blends and brewed in a Moccamaster. It's morning wake-up coffee so whilst I want it to be 'decent', I'm not a brew connoisseur. Espresso on the other hand is more important to me and we tend to change coffee types often. Never super light though.

Without derailing the topic, @malling you mentioned the EK being a grinder you'd see fit for dual-use. I asked a barista this exact question the other day and he seemed to think you'd need to purge a lot between brew methods or was he spinning me a yarn. I've always been under the impression the EK isn't ideal for dual-use. I'd consider one if that's not the case.
I had an Titus carrier in mine so retention was like 0.2g or thereabouts.If you use a very old version you might experience higher retention but some of the newer the retention is modest.

I never needed to purge a few beans through was actually enough, I used mine for both and it's the only grinder I successfully manage to use for it, all other I got really tired off because of obstacles in the grind part or because of the adjustment implementation especially those with better granularity.

I don't think it's easy to design a grinder that successfully do dual purpose without sacrificing either granularity or ease of use

Capuchin Monk

#203: Post by Capuchin Monk »

malling wrote:Also those burr do really look tiny in that housing, they could definitely have tossed 83mm inside that body, definitely overbuilt for those tiny 64mm burrs in a home environment, but I suspect it's made to take a beating like all mazzer :lol:
It's sized to house AC motor. I was wondering why there is that motor hum when turned on. AC motor is the reason. Also, no speed control. It's fixed at 1400 rpm.

Frenchman

#204: Post by Frenchman »

Jimmy_The_Saint wrote: If only Fellow made a matching Ode for espresso!
It's the Timemore Sculptor ;-) (Okay, not exactly, but it reminds me of the Ode.)
LMWDP #712

salvia

#205: Post by salvia »

Bean Scene Magazine (seemingly) visited Mazzer to talk to Luigi Mazzer about the Philos launch. No photos, unfortunately.
https://www.beanscenemag.com.au/luigi-m ... ct-launch/

retireddude

#206: Post by retireddude »

I asked Mazzer on IG if their old 64mm 33M burrs would work in the Philos. For anyone interested in burr swapping their answer was interesting:
Mazzer wrote:No, and we highly recommend using the original Mazzer burrs dedicated to the Philos, which have been designed specifically for the grinder, and optimized for productivity (which is balanced with the auger's bean feeding), for controlling the general noise, the electrostatics, the risk of clogging, the risk of blockage of the grinding attachment, cleanability, parallelism and grain size yield.

malling

#207: Post by malling »

retireddude wrote:I asked Mazzer on IG if their old 64mm 33M burrs would work in the Philos. For anyone interested in burr swapping their answer was interesting:
I never actually ever seen any major manufacturer advocate the use of other then stock burrs. So reply is kinda anticipated. Most even seem to go as long as saying warranty void.

They do generally design these as a whole package not as a swiss army knife. With the bean feeder I could imagine it's designed to work specifically to the burr feed rate, so there might be some minor behaviour changes by swapping burr. Also I don't know how easy it is to actually zero it, which is kinda necessary procedure if using other burrs.

Capuchin Monk

#208: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Mazzer wrote:No, and we highly recommend using the original Mazzer burrs dedicated to the Philos, which have been designed specifically for the grinder, and optimized for productivity (which is balanced with the auger's bean feeding), for controlling the general noise, the electrostatics, the risk of clogging, the risk of blockage of the grinding attachment, cleanability, parallelism and grain size yield.
"bean feeding"? :shock: They (Mazzer) skipped their marketing magic word "pre-breaker" :!: Oh, the horror...

dwf

#209: Post by dwf »

Availability and pricing update:
Hi David,
Thank you for your enquiry.
Philos will be available from spring 2024 and price has not been set yet.
Best regards,
Luca.

Luca Maccatrozzo | sales director
www.mazzer.com

Please note that our factory will be closed for the winter break from December 23rd to January 7th included

jeffreylam98

#210: Post by jeffreylam98 »

I'll install the SSP HU by myself, swear to god I won't use the Mazzer Mini burrs. That burr set is the most garbage set in the Mazzer Line