New Kinu M47 Traveler

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Kind_Karma

#1: Post by Kind_Karma »

I did a quick search and didn't find a post on the new Kinu M47 Traveler. I can't find any information on it, since it is not available yet. Here is a link to a sneak peek video, thought I'd pass it along-
Thanks & Peace.

pafcio0

#2: Post by pafcio0 »

600g? Bit heavy for travelling purposes, when every gram matters.
Aergrind is 385g, Timemore Nano 375g...

bas

#3: Post by bas »

I have seen a prototype of this nice little grinder at the WOC in Amsterdam.

Heavier than Aergrind for sure. But significantly lighter and more compact than the M47.

In a way you could think if it as a downsized M47. Same excellent build quality as the other Kinu products. I do not remember well if the prototype Travel grinder had a 47 or 38 mm burr set. I believe 47 mm but not sure.

Let's see.

Kind_Karma (original poster)

#4: Post by Kind_Karma (original poster) »

Pretty close to Helor 101(585 grams). Not bad for a portable grinder that is reported to have good espresso ability. If it works as well and is as robust as original m47, it could be a great compromise on weight and espresso ability. The anti rotational knob really sticks out- I wonder about is longetivity after time, especially I'd dropped on hard floor?

@bas Did you happen to notice if catch cup uses magnets or a threaded to for on/off?

Thanks & Peace.

Balthazar_B

#5: Post by Balthazar_B »

I emailed Kinu asking them for information related to availability, the base connection, etc., and they indicated it should appear for sale on their site "soon". It uses an o-ring for the base rather than magnets, apparently. No word on pricing. Hope that helps!
- John

LMWDP # 577

bradenl123

#6: Post by bradenl123 »

radu

#7: Post by radu »

Kind_Karma wrote: @bas Did you happen to notice if catch cup uses magnets or a threaded to for on/off?

Thanks & Peace.
It's held in place by a rubber gasket. You can see it in the photos, where the cup is next to the body.
LMWDP #616

Balthazar_B

#8: Post by Balthazar_B »

If you compare the specs from the respective user manuals, you'll see that it has the same burr set, diameter, and most of the other elements of the "staycation" M47. The major differences are the beefed-up thumb rest (an improvement, IMHO), the capacity of the catch cup, and its method of securing to the grinder. There'll be additional upkeep because of the last, but not material if it's truly used as intended -- for travel -- and not as a daily driver. The price difference reflects that.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Kind_Karma (original poster)

#9: Post by Kind_Karma (original poster) »

Looks like a solid travel espresso grinder. The Helor 101 also has a rubber gasket- not my favorite design for catch cup, especially for daily use. The manual grinder market sure is opening up and providing lots of options!

Thanks & Peace.

renatoa

#10: Post by renatoa »

The major differences are the length, 170 vs 200 mm, and body material, Alu vs stainless steel.
These are the main factors that almost halve the weight.

But beware... the body material now is softer, and this could affect in the long run the grip of the so called Morse taper, because the body roundness now can altered much easier than the steel body of the big brother.
For such softer body the shaft through flanges system used by the rest of the market would be preferable.