New Kinu M47 Traveler - Page 8

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
autoexec

#71: Post by autoexec »

Kind_Karma wrote:Any user experience updates from Kinu M47 Traveler owners?
Got mine for over a week already and I can only say good things about it! It is a very aligned hand grinder (as expected from Kinu), an overkill actually for a hand grinder with portability in mind but who will complain for having an over-aligned burrs. :lol: Adjustment is just the same as M47 altough mine is from early 2018 so there are some differences like burrs literally locks at 0 now, and clicks from adjustment wheel are existent even when just turning the crank arm. But everything else is the same. Catch cup is a little bit too light for my liking but hey, they wanted it to be as light as possible! It came with 2-3 spares of silicone ring for the catch cup and a very nice black drawstring bag with Kinu's logo. Grinding is very easy and tactile. Also a bit louder than its big brother due to the material I suppose. But the louder sound is compensated with a more tactile feeling which I very much like. It retains the monstrous speed M47 is known for. To me this is the perfect travel grinder without compromising grind quality. If grind quality is not much of a concern, Aergrind still beats it portability-wise. I'd bring this grinder on trips which I know I'll have a safe place to put things outside my bag like a hotel room. When camping in the woods where safety of my stuff outside my bag isn't guarranteed, that's where my Aergrind comes in!

Fisher

#72: Post by Fisher »

[quote="autoexec"]Got mine for over a week already and I can only say good things about it! It is a very aligned hand grinder (as expected from Kinu), an overkill actually for a hand grinder with portability in mind but who will complain for having an over-aligned burrs. :lol: Adjustment is just the same as M47 altough mine is from early 2018 so there are some differences like burrs literally locks at 0 now, and clicks from adjustment wheel are existent even when just turning the crank arm. But everything else is the same. Catch cup is a little bit too light for my liking but hey, they wanted it to be as light as possible! It came with 2-3 spares of silicone ring for the catch cup and a very nice black drawstring bag with Kinu's logo. Grinding is very easy and tactile. Also a bit louder than its big brother due to the material I suppose. But the louder sound is compensated with a more tactile feeling which I very much like. It retains the monstrous speed M47 is known for. To me this is the perfect travel grinder without compromising grind quality. If grind quality is not much of a concern, Aergrind still beats it portability-wise. I'd bring this grinder on trips which I know I'll have a safe place to put things outside my bag like a hotel room. When camping in the woods where safety of my stuff outside my bag isn't guarranteed, that's where my Aergrind comes in!
/quote]

Any flavor differences in your brew when comparing those 3 grinders?

Stanic

#73: Post by Stanic »

Would you care to explain what are over-aligned burrs?

Balthazar_B

#74: Post by Balthazar_B replying to Stanic »

Explained by the smiley, perhaps?
- John

LMWDP # 577

Stanic

#75: Post by Stanic replying to Balthazar_B »

Ah
I'm considering this grinder so just wanted to clarify

spressomon

#76: Post by spressomon »

Just wish they gave us a way to power it with an electric drill. Same for my Feldgrind.
No Espresso = Depresso

autoexec

#77: Post by autoexec »

Fisher wrote:
Any flavor differences in your brew when comparing those 3 grinders?
I pretty much drink from V60 brew only. I find both M47 (Classic/Traveler) has equal performance although I think my Traveler's burrs have still very sharp teeth that still needs to be seasoned to lessen the extra fines a bit more. That's not to say it has tons of extra fines, I just notice the little bit of differences is all. I was speaking based on my observation on grind particles for both dry and the sidewalls of the filter after brewing. Now my Aergrind has dramatically improved since last month compared to its grind quality out of the box (bought it on Dec. 2017). I think I've finally reached 15-20KGs on it since it's my most used grinder. Even though I had my M47 since Jan. 2018, I don't use it so often and I think it will still improve after some KGs.

Now into the cup/flavor, I find my ability to discern subtle differences lacking, also because I'm very skeptic of myself being unbiased. But out of the box, I'm pretty sure I'm getting more complex/tastier brews from M47 than Aergrind. But now that my Aergrind has been seasoned, I find it very hard to detect the subtle difference taste-wise, but the consistency is still evident if you're to observe the grounds and sidewalls of the brew that the M47 gives the better grind. Maybe with more experienced palate this is huge improvement in taste. Anyway, M47 is surely the better aligned ones as they have very strict tolerances.

renatoa

#78: Post by renatoa »

You are a roaster, so here is the best way I found for season the burrs: roast a pound and stop it when very very light, in the brown stage, 2 minutes before FC.
Grind these beans somewhere between espresso and brew, and your burrs will are fine...less :)
But beware... you need muscles :D

SL81

#79: Post by SL81 »

autoexec wrote:Got mine for over a week already and I can only say good things about it! It is a very aligned hand grinder (as expected from Kinu), an overkill actually for a hand grinder with portability in mind but who will complain for having an over-aligned burrs. :lol: Adjustment is just the same as M47 altough mine is from early 2018 so there are some differences like burrs literally locks at 0 now, and clicks from adjustment wheel are existent even when just turning the crank arm. But everything else is the same. Catch cup is a little bit too light for my liking but hey, they wanted it to be as light as possible! It came with 2-3 spares of silicone ring for the catch cup and a very nice black drawstring bag with Kinu's logo. Grinding is very easy and tactile. Also a bit louder than its big brother due to the material I suppose. But the louder sound is compensated with a more tactile feeling which I very much like. It retains the monstrous speed M47 is known for. To me this is the perfect travel grinder without compromising grind quality. If grind quality is not much of a concern, Aergrind still beats it portability-wise. I'd bring this grinder on trips which I know I'll have a safe place to put things outside my bag like a hotel room. When camping in the woods where safety of my stuff outside my bag isn't guarranteed, that's where my Aergrind comes in!
Kinu still operational? I thought the fire put a halt to everything. I haven't received a reply from them.

autoexec

#80: Post by autoexec »

renatoa wrote:You are a roaster, so here is the best way I found for season the burrs: roast a pound and stop it when very very light, in the brown stage, 2 minutes before FC.
Grind these beans somewhere between espresso and brew, and your burrs will are fine...less :)
But beware... you need muscles :D
It's fine, I actually enjoy how it slowly breaks in with time. How did you know I'm a roaster anyway? :D
SL81 wrote:Kinu still operational? I thought the fire put a halt to everything. I haven't received a reply from them.
Bought mine few days after the incident. They still have some stocks left and still sells them until it runs out. Will take some time for them to be able to manufacture grinders again. I think they currently still have some units left