New Kinu M47 Traveler - Page 20

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Yan

#191: Post by Yan »

namelessone wrote:I timed 10g at 30 secs. I noticed that some bean pieces can get stuck between the burrs and you need to either grind coarser or feed more beans to get rid of them?,There is also pretty much 0 static / fines stuck under the burrs, which wasn't the case with old set, the bottom would usually be covered in fines. It seems like it's cutting the beans very gently, or something.
Yesterday, I test several grind setting and less then fine drip < set 4+0+0 it takes very2 long more than 1-3 minutes, like Radu said Espreso grind size maybe will takes 5-7 minutes, I also get 1-2 stuck beans. I don't see as much static compare to the old Burr.

My first brew not so good because I grind stale dark roast coffee 250gr just for testing the grind size and after that trying light roasting Rwanda peaberry 15/250 @ size 4+0+0, a bit muddy at the surface area but a bit watery in the cup, the old roasting stale coffee smell and taste present in cup...

namelessone

#192: Post by namelessone replying to Yan »

I used 2+0 with the V1, but I don't know how to translate old settings to new settings since the thread pitch is different. I agree it takes quite long to grind, though.

renatoa

#193: Post by renatoa »

Multiply/divide by 1.5
Old thread is 0.75 mm, new thread is 0.5 mm.
Old 1.3 setting for espresso, new setting 2.0
Old 2.4 setting for brew, new setting 3.6

Yan

#194: Post by Yan »

Several grind size & time pour over burr

Using 35+gr full with Travel Edition

@3+5+0 time 6m:28s maybe this size for aeoropress to flair

@4+5+0 time 2m:07s roughly size for v.60 / kalita wave

@5+5+0 time 1m:20s size roughly size for Chemex or FP

Minimum static at the bottom

Shenrei

#195: Post by Shenrei »

Quite long times, especially for aeropress times. However the dose is quite large. Over 6 minutes is absurd. Mine is coming on Thursday to test on my M47. A 20g V60 dose will hopefully be tolerable or improve. How does it taste?
- Tim

Yan

#196: Post by Yan replying to Shenrei »

My regular v.60 15/250, @4+7+2 it takes 1min:02s to grind and 3:00 brew time, after twice watery in cup I try to add more temperature from 92 to 95C, and now the coffee taste so good, no bitterness, more clarity and better sweetness, I agree with Radu this pour over burr had a boost in pour over method, and tastings note separation more easy to detect...

Shenrei

#197: Post by Shenrei »

Good to know! Looking forward to trying it out in a few days.
- Tim

Yan

#198: Post by Yan »

Converting the Travel Edition to Phoenix looks... :D

Release the thumb rest,close the 4mm screw hole with regular screw and add the Phoenix rubber band.

More compact to put in the bag without the tumb rest

Ora

#199: Post by Ora »

Do you think you could get similar clarity using the old burrs by not tapping the fines stuck to the bottom and throwing them away instead?

Yan

#200: Post by Yan replying to Ora »

Better clarity and sweetness is the benefits of Pour-over Burr in drip method, the downside if you like the mouthfeel in the old burr that ones will be a bit less in the Pour-over Burr, btw I do never tapping the grinder in all drip method in the old burr to reduce the fines in the cup...