New Kinu M47 Traveler - Page 13

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Yan

#121: Post by Yan »

homehlmad wrote:Hence my confusion and question. If the traveler has a hopper capacity of 35g (photographed by Yan), I would hope the capacity of the hopper on the standard M47 would actually be closer to 40-45g. Of course, I saw that Prima Coffee lists the numbers you mentioned, and thus I'm not certain what to believe. It also seems like, based on the main Kinu thread, people had drastically different results for their personal capacities.
A better picture for the traveler capacity...

Maybe smaller size then ther regular beans...?

Balthazar_B

#122: Post by Balthazar_B »

Maybe it's not just the size of the beans, but their density and humidity? So given a fixed capacity of n cubic centimeters, mightn't variations in the weight of the beans suggest that aggregate weight for that given capacity could vary a few grams, all other things being equal? Could even be the same beans might vary a bit if weighed in Phoenix (4% relative humidity) vs. New Orleans (94% relative humidity)?

Which is not to say bean size doesn't play a part. Certainly air will occupy more of the capacity if the beans are the size of cannellinis as opposed to peaberries (and air doesn't weigh very much).
- John

LMWDP # 577

Yan

#123: Post by Yan replying to Balthazar_B »

Another larger beans take more room...

Comparison with the smaller beans 37.5 grams at the right side.

Humidity around 72%....not using a precise industrial humidity measurements...it's average.

primacoffee
Sponsor

#124: Post by primacoffee »

I believe at the time of writing the listing I measured the capacity using beans from Quills Coffee and Steadfast Coffee, though I could not tell you what coffees they were at this point. I often round a little if I feel like the beans I used were somewhat off-average, and then give a range to account for potential differences. Of course, as bean size and density can vary a good deal, the actual bean mass in a full hopper might drift outside the figures we give.
Prima Coffee
888-837-7892
4603 Poplar Level Rd
Louisville, KY 40213
http://prima-coffee.com

dr.need.coffee

#125: Post by dr.need.coffee »

Yan wrote:A bit different in the cup Apex were smooth, more complex and easy to taste the distinction in tasting notes, the M47 more on the sweetness side and the mouthfeel were very good, I try not to tapping the m47 body after grinding to reduce the fines and cha, after passing the 2-3 kgs maybe the M47 even better, surprisingly the M47 grinds looks more finer but the flow rate in V.60 not as slow as my Lido 3, but not as fast as the Apex btw my Apex maybe already passing the 5-6 kgs.

Grinding with M47 is fast compare to Apex, especially if you have the more larger beans, maybe it comparable with Lido 3, but more faster, I like the traveler type, lighter, more compact size, cheaper and the thumb stoppers at the body really help with light roast beans.
thank you for the very comprehensive answer!

Yan

#126: Post by Yan »

Just curious to put the traveler in to more larger brew capacity...

Preparing 45+grams beans using a smaller beans for 650+ ml TWW water with V60-03, set the grinder at 4.5.0, btw my 0 is move to half turn 0.5.0 so the burr not lock at 0. I try to gently tap the body grinder and the cather to drop grinds transfer to a larger glass bottle.

1. 37+ grams first round

2. Just to show the grinding process at full capacity...did the lid help the popcorning? Let see...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-AraY ... BboYRNZAtG

3. The grind catcher almost full...

4. Total 45+ grams...

5. Total brew time around 3 min, so small fines not heavily clogging the flow rate... and the result in the cup surprisingly good, not as good as single cup 200 - 250ml, a touch of bitter at piping hot temperature but after cooling down the sweetness and fruity notes more pronounce...

homehlmad

#127: Post by homehlmad »

I'm enjoying my traveler, but I can't seem to get anything but muddy beds after completing Kalita brews. I've gone from 4.5-4.8 on my settings, and have used the George Howell and Onyx methods.

Also, compared to the Comandante, it takes EFFORT to grind beans, but it's amazing how quickly it goes through them. I'd honestly say it's 2.5-3 times faster than the Comandante. But again, the tradeoff is that you have to exert some serious force, at least initially. Does it get easier as the burrs dull?

Yan

#128: Post by Yan replying to homehlmad »

Yes kalita wave a bit tricky, I am using 5.5 to 6.0, using RDT to help the statics, don't tap the body to reduce the fines and help the flow rate...for flair I use 3.3 - 3.5 really enjoy the traveler...I always using light roast beans same as my filter coffee...

Cheers

Yan

#129: Post by Yan »

The New Line Up M-47 Phoenix, looks interesting more capacity 40-50gr, no thumb stoppers but silicon ring for easy handling, and a bit cheaper... nice...

Cheers

Squall

#130: Post by Squall »

Hi,

I'm looking for a grinder affordable and I just saw the new phoenix :D
Does anyone knows the difference between the phoenix and the M47?

Why is it so cheaper?

Is it supposed to be the « new » traveler or the m47 or just another « segment »?

Thank you!