New Kinu M47 Traveler - Page 12

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
homehlmad

#111: Post by homehlmad »

Yan wrote:Cheap case for traveling,
Just sharing my idea for keeping the grinder save for traveling to put in to the backpack or store in luggage cabin.

1. Lock n Lock code type HPL817 less than 5 us$
<image>

2. Tea bottle neoprene sleeve dimension 18cmx7cm, to prevent the stainless paddle scratching the alloy body.

<image>

3. There is enough space for small brush for cleaning the grinder.

<image>

4. I think it is sturdy enough as long someone not standing above the case... :D

<image>

Cheers
I registered just to ask a question on capacity. So the M47 Traveler can hold 30-35g of beans? If that's the case, how much can the standard M47 hold? Anybody know?

kenyabob

#112: Post by kenyabob »

The regular Kinu is 40 something. Search the forum, I know its been discussed.

That said, I got a spare bean popping out of the 47 when dosing 20 grams, so I imagine that after 30 grams, youd be grinding much more carefully to prevent spillage, and I still think the catcher would have a hard time holding everything, even if the chamber could.

Advertisement
homehlmad

#113: Post by homehlmad »

Thanks for the input. Debating keeping my C40 or getting a M47 (standard or traveler). I mostly want the faster grind speed that the M47s offer, but anticipate grinding for 2-3 people on occasion, though 90% of the time it would be single servings.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#114: Post by baristainzmking »

From Prima Coffee site:

The hopper capacity is reduced, but still holds about 25-30 grams of whole beans, with a catch cup capacity of 30+ grams for ground coffee.
Julia

homehlmad

#115: Post by homehlmad replying to baristainzmking »

Hence my confusion and question. If the traveler has a hopper capacity of 35g (photographed by Yan), I would hope the capacity of the hopper on the standard M47 would actually be closer to 40-45g. Of course, I saw that Prima Coffee lists the numbers you mentioned, and thus I'm not certain what to believe. It also seems like, based on the main Kinu thread, people had drastically different results for their personal capacities.

Yan

#116: Post by Yan replying to homehlmad »

The smaller beans 33-35 grams can be used with the custom lid enough for 2-3 cups 500-525ml single time grinding, for larger beans around 30-31/32 grams, more than 35 grams I switch to the Apex.

homehlmad

#117: Post by homehlmad replying to Yan »

Good to know, thanks. Any details on the lid your made?

Advertisement
Yan

#118: Post by Yan replying to homehlmad »

Oh it made by my brother in law, the material using Ikea VARIERA, Drawer mat, clear flexible plastic.

Measure the diameter of the outer lips M47 60mm and measure the diameter central paddle 18m, with compass drawing tools create the sample in normal paper and then applied to the plastic mat.

Cheers

AssafL

#119: Post by AssafL »

Yan wrote:Oh it made by my brother in law, the material using Ikea VARIERA, Drawer mat, clear flexible plastic.

<image>

Measure the diameter of the outer lips M47 60mm and measure the diameter central paddle 18m, with compass drawing tools create the sample in normal paper and then applied to the plastic mat.

Cheers
Dude - sheet plastic and scissors? That is far too simple (yet unexplainably effective) :)

People here expect a 3d printed, zinc casting, etched or milled, textured using sandblasted dimples - at the very least....

At least get the plastic from McMaster-Carr. Some ITAR controlled crazy stuff that mills like butter and is NSF certified... Not Ikea....

BTW - I found that the most effective way of avoiding popcorning is holding the grinder steady. Doing that requires upper body weight training at the gym... "Avoiding popcorning" does make for an awkward locker room discussion though. People infer insidiousness....
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

homehlmad

#120: Post by homehlmad »

Yan wrote:Oh it made by my brother in law, the material using Ikea VARIERA, Drawer mat, clear flexible plastic.

<image>

Cheers
Thanks! Maybe I could afford to get the Traveler if I fashioned a similar lid for it!