New Kinu M47 Traveler - Page 11

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
John49

Postby John49 » Apr 06, 2019, 1:21 pm

If you remove the outer burr and tap it back into position, there can be some small change in it's relative position, compared to the conical burr. Your final grind setting will be different but will not vary.

purpledad

Postby purpledad » Apr 23, 2019, 8:50 am

kenyabob wrote:Thanks, John. With that setup, you dont notice your settings shift? Do you ever remove the outer burr for cleaning?

the only drift i've ever experienced in zero point is from burr break in. dissassembly and reassembly has never made a difference.

greggers89

Postby greggers89 » Apr 30, 2019, 10:27 pm

I was very excited to receive my M47 Traveler today, but it came with some pretty large scratches on it. I don't know what their return policy is, but I'm hoping they will exchange it or take it back. I've messaged them and waiting to hear back. I didn't run any beans through it yet. It felt pretty nice, but the plastic catch cup seems a little out of place (flimsy). If I can return this one, I think I will go for the Bplus Apollo or full-size M47 instead, even though they're quite a bit heavier.

kenyabob

Postby kenyabob » May 01, 2019, 7:53 pm

For the price, it should come pretty perfect.

However, the perfectly milled metal will end up with scratches and bumps like this as you use it. Cant stay perfect forever.

greggers89

Postby greggers89 » May 01, 2019, 7:58 pm

Yeah, they just got back to me and said it may be an issue with customs opening up some of the boxes and taking the grinders out. Then they asked for my order info and I'm still waiting to hear if they will accept a return or exchange.

kenyabob

Postby kenyabob » May 01, 2019, 8:01 pm

It would be unlike them to let something even that minor through QA. My M47 arrived in perfect condition.

Yan

Postby Yan » May 15, 2019, 11:08 pm

This is my first experience with Kinu products,

I like the compact size and it looks so sleek, compare to Apex like David and Goliath...

The capacity was very good 32-35 Grams depend on the beans size, good enough for 1-2 cups pourover 500ml.

Crete a small round flexible plastic to reduce the popcorning

Morning workout seasoning 200gr of stale beans in 4.5 setting...

So far in my experience with Flair was very good compare to my Lido 3...

Cheers...

dr.need.coffee

Postby dr.need.coffee » May 16, 2019, 11:51 pm

Yan wrote:This is my first experience with Kinu products,

I like the compact size and it looks so sleek, compare to Apex like David and Goliath...

So far in my experience with Flair was very good compare to my Lido 3...

Cheers...

What are your thoughts on taste compared to lido 3 /apex for filter? :D

marista wrote:reporting back as my Traveler has arrived and i've made a morning cup with it :D

love the grinder, incredibly smooth operation and fine adjustments. size and feel is great as well, like how sturdy it feels compared to other hand grinders and its just the right size for travelling. it'll definitely be with me on many trips to come!

one thing i didn't like was the thumb stopper, i think i would rather have a rubber grip around the body to keep my grip on it, but this is just nitpicking.

for this morning i brewed Cerro Azul geisha (natural process) from the Cupping Room. Using a v60 and on setting 4.3 on the grinder, i brewed 14g coffee to 228g water at 93 deg C, total brew time of 2:30. The resulting cup was super sweet and juicy, and had great mouthfeel, super silky. most definitely enjoyed it and i think this is as fine a hand grinder as any on the market.

Was it a distinct difference from LIDO 3? i just pulled the trigger for an upgrade from LIDO to m47 traveler !

Yan

Postby Yan » May 17, 2019, 9:36 am

dr.need.coffee wrote:What are your thoughts on taste compared to lido 3 /apex for filter? :D
Was it a distinct difference from LIDO 3? i just pulled the trigger for an upgrade from LIDO to m47 traveler !

A bit different in the cup Apex were smooth, more complex and easy to taste the distinction in tasting notes, the M47 more on the sweetness side and the mouthfeel were very good, I try not to tapping the m47 body after grinding to reduce the fines and cha, after passing the 2-3 kgs maybe the M47 even better, surprisingly the M47 grinds looks more finer but the flow rate in V.60 not as slow as my Lido 3, but not as fast as the Apex btw my Apex maybe already passing the 5-6 kgs.

Grinding with M47 is fast compare to Apex, especially if you have the more larger beans, maybe it comparable with Lido 3, but more faster, I like the traveler type, lighter, more compact size, cheaper and the thumb stoppers at the body really help with light roast beans.

Yan

Postby Yan » May 18, 2019, 11:24 pm

Cheap case for traveling,
Just sharing my idea for keeping the grinder save for traveling to put in to the backpack or store in luggage cabin.

1. Lock n Lock code type HPL817 less than 5 us$

2. Tea bottle neoprene sleeve dimension 18cmx7cm, to prevent the stainless paddle scratching the alloy body.

3. There is enough space for small brush for cleaning the grinder.

4. I think it is sturdy enough as long someone not standing above the case... :D

Cheers