New Kinu M47 Traveler - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
renatoa

#11: Post by renatoa »

Traveller in a photo studio session, completely naked :)

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Kinugrinder ... tn__=-UC-R

AssafL

#12: Post by AssafL »

renatoa wrote:But beware... the body material now is softer, and this could affect in the long run the grip of the so called Morse taper, because the body roundness now can altered much easier than the steel body of the big brother.
For such softer body the shaft through flanges system used by the rest of the market would be preferable.
I would think the Morse taper is between the shaft and the burrs (hence the self aligning bit). I wouldn't think the taper is between the soft(errrr) body and the cross beans/braces.

But I may be wrong (if it is between the soft body and the braces - how does it self center anyway? All it will mean is that the braces are wedged in....).

Also - how soft? I assume you tested it with a durometer. What did it read?
I sure hope they don't use H1... I'd reasonably expect T6 for such a small device....
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

renatoa

#13: Post by renatoa »

Until is out, nobody can say how soft is the alloy they chose... we know there are a lot of different Alu based alloys...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium ... esignation

Yeah, they use Morse taper/cone term in relation to the cross braces, not the burrs.
You can see the picture in the M47 manual, the rotating burr is sliding freely along the shaft, and locks in place using an eccentrical bolt.

AssafL

#14: Post by AssafL »

renatoa wrote:Until is out, nobody can say how soft is the alloy they chose... we know there are a lot of different Alu based alloys...
So why make the assumption they chose a soft one that will yield over time? Why not assume they opted for 7075-T6? It is cheap, they don't need welding, they make cheap ass flashlights from it... Or the even cheaper 6061 (like Maglites).

renatoa

#15: Post by renatoa »

I meant soft as in Alloy vs steel, not alloy vs alloy.
The strongest 5052 alloy is still 3 times weaker than stainless...

purpledad

#16: Post by purpledad »

Why does kinu hate threads so much smdh.

It's the only thing that bothers me about the m47. Stupid magnets.

renatoa

#17: Post by renatoa »

Traveller use the initial o-ring fitting, no magnets.

Using o-ring with both initial Kinu and also Feldgrind, I can say for me is the best.

cebseb

#18: Post by cebseb »

The body is anodized aluminum. Confirmed.

renatoa

#19: Post by renatoa »

Sure, is written in Traveller brochure.
You can't else halve the weight with same diameter and only 15% shorter.

AssafL

#20: Post by AssafL »

I think renatoa suspects they will use a low grade aluminum that would deform under pressure from the Morse taper. That the centering rod will bend the tube outward.

If it were made of thick tool steel (even high carbon steel) it wouldn't budge But he suspects it would deform over time.

The fact it is anodized doesn't make it resilient.

NB - love these types of hypothesis. They nearly always end up wrong. When the products get delivered it ends up not being the suspected fallacy but a missing magnet, slipping oring, or something else. But you do end up reading a lot about aluminum alloys!