New Kinu m47 - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ash4889 (original poster)
Supporter

#31: Post by ash4889 (original poster) »

Hey Ken
I think that's great advice buddy, I'm going to relocate to a drawer near espresso machine. After reading that if it fell, it would destroy the counter top espresso machine and grinder. Again thank you so much, the purpose of this forum is for each of us to pass on good advice.

Ken5
Supporter ♡

#32: Post by Ken5 »

Thanks John! Weird that we are getting same results with different rotation totals. One time when I took apart my kinu completely to clean the results were different when I put it back together. I took it apart, changed holes if that even made a difference, and when I put it back again things were as before. Thought that was a weird experience. Haven't taken it apart since. Lol.

Bialettibarista, I wouldn't worry too much at this point about the amount of turns, after all we don't know if there is a normal, and if so what that would be. Maybe yours is. normal. I Probably brought up an unnecessary can of worms here, though if anything good comes out of it, it would be to spin the handle at a speed that is comfortable and natural to do and stay relatively close that for consistency?

How is the flow and taste at your 130 turns?

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
jpender

#33: Post by jpender »

Ken5 wrote:One time when I took apart my kinu completely to clean the results were different when I put it back together. I took it apart, changed holes if that even made a difference, and when I put it back again things were as before. Thought that was a weird experience. Haven't taken it apart since. Lol.

Do you mean the grind setting changed or the number of rotations you needed changed?

I had a similar experience. Took it apart to clean it and when I put it back together the grind setting had changed by almost two full numbers. I didn't count rotations though. It wasn't really dirty even though it had been over a year. So, like you, I haven't seen any reason to take it apart regularly.

Ken5
Supporter ♡

#34: Post by Ken5 »

Definitely the grind setting and it was fairly substantial, can't recall if rotations changed too as I took it right apart. Who knows, maybe it was as simple as something stuck between the burr and the base. Can't see how a different hole could make a difference.

Ken

bialettibarista

#35: Post by bialettibarista »

Ken5 wrote:Thanks John! Weird that we are getting same results with different rotation totals. One time when I took apart my kinu completely to clean the results were different when I put it back together. I took it apart, changed holes if that even made a difference, and when I put it back again things were as before. Thought that was a weird experience. Haven't taken it apart since. Lol.

Bialettibarista, I wouldn't worry too much at this point about the amount of turns, after all we don't know if there is a normal, and if so what that would be. Maybe yours is. normal. I Probably brought up an unnecessary can of worms here, though if anything good comes out of it, it would be to spin the handle at a speed that is comfortable and natural to do and stay relatively close that for consistency?

How is the flow and taste at your 130 turns?[/quote
I have to say the taste was incredible. It really seemed as if I was tasting in HD for the first time. Pretty impressive! The pour with a naked portafilter looked flawless. I was really just hoping to have a 30-second grind time as the mainual said. For the taste I would deal with the longer grind x but if I could get the same taste and half the time I would be even more excited.

bialettibarista

#36: Post by bialettibarista »

Ken5 wrote:Thanks John! Weird that we are getting same results with different rotation totals. One time when I took apart my kinu completely to clean the results were different when I put it back together. I took it apart, changed holes if that even made a difference, and when I put it back again things were as before. Thought that was a weird experience. Haven't taken it apart since. Lol.

How is the flow and taste at your 130 turns?
I have to say the taste was incredible. It really seemed as if I was tasting in HD for the first time. Pretty impressive! The pour with a naked portafilter looked flawless. I was really just hoping to have a 30-second grind time as the mainual said. For the taste I would deal with the longer grind x but if I could get the same taste and half the time I would be even more excited.

Ken5
Supporter ♡

#37: Post by Ken5 »

ash4889 wrote:Hey Ken
I think that's great advice buddy, I'm going to relocate to a drawer near espresso machine. After reading that if it fell, it would destroy the counter top espresso machine and grinder. Again thank you so much, the purpose of this forum is for each of us to pass on good advice.
Glad to hear Doug! I knocked over my kinu 2 times, all it took was a little tap near the top of the unit. It is upsetting, so now I leave it behind my robot near the backsplash and it is only out when it needs to be. Someone here stated months ago that his handle broke, his fell to the floor.

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
jpender

#38: Post by jpender »

I wonder if a little catch cup modification would make sense. Just something to give the grinder a wider base, perhaps a project for people with 3D printers. I don't think a larger base would get in the way of grinding or dumping the grounds into the basket.

It would look ugly though.