New Kinu m47 - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Ken5

#21: Post by Ken5 »

I just looked at Doug's two videos. First one he was going slower than I usually do, second one he was going faster than I usually do. Wonder if that had any effect on the differences In his turns.

Sorry Doug that I made your thread go off topic. I agree with you, the Kinu is an amazing grinder, and I ordered mine from Germany too!!

jpender

#22: Post by jpender »

Ken5 wrote:I had a bag of beans that was older than I liked back in January when I bought it and I just ran a bunch through my grinder. I learned something that I suspected months ago, even brought it up on the forum, but never tested it out.

Speed matters!!!!

For all 6 tries I put 18g in.

I ran two at about one turn per second and the turns were 50 and 54.

I ran two at the speed that is natural to me, maybe about 2 per second, and it took 63 and 60, which is about what I normally get.

I ran two faster than what I normally do and they both needed 75 turns!

Now the REAL question is, are they grinding at different sizes?? Guess one way to tell would be to run them through the machine and see if they perform the same. That is for another day.

Very interesting. I guess it shouldn't surprise us.

So extrapolating: if you grind really, really fast nothing happens and you'll never finish. And if you grind really, really slowly it will be done in less than one turn. :-)

But which is actually more efficient/faster? Slow/fewer turns or fast/more turns?

As for grind size effect, probably it is best to be consistent. I think we do that automatically.

Advertisement
Ken5

#23: Post by Ken5 »

jpender wrote: So extrapolating: if you grind really, really fast nothing happens and you'll never finish. And if you grind really, really slowly it will be done in less than one turn. :-)
:)

Porcupine

#24: Post by Porcupine »

Thanks for sharing this - I'm surprised to hear that the quality for espresso is better than the Niche. I have never tried the Niche but heard nothing but good things about it...

I have a Kinu m47 that I use at my girlfriends place and when I go camping. I really love it, but I definitely commend you for using it everyday as your main espresso grinder. This thing is definitely a workout especially on light roast...

ash4889 (original poster)

#25: Post by ash4889 (original poster) »

I am sorry if thats the impression that I left, I really do like Niche just didn't have the patience to wait to get a white one. Another reason is I don't really make that many shots to rationalise giving an electric machine again, And it is a workout to be truthful but it's not that bad........ Also I don't have a big kitchen, it's a small area to do my espresso.

Ken5

#26: Post by Ken5 »

Hi John,

I wonder if we compare robot and pull details if we can figure out if you are grinding much finer than me.

For my Lionshare shots I am going for 18g to 36g, preinfusion of 2 bars till the scale reads about 0.3g which takes about 12 seconds, followed by a pull of about 25 seconds, for a total of about 37 seconds. I start out at 9 bars and decline steadily to about 7 at end of shot. These are my recent attempts that I am liking at the moment. I have gone longer in the past.

Ken

Ken5

#27: Post by Ken5 »

Hi Doug,

Looking at your Kinu in that upper cabinet makes me nervous. LOL.

Being that it is so heavy, and top heavy at that (especially with the handle,) I don't think your kinu or counter would survive that fall.

It is very easy to knock over when on the counter. I keep mine way in the back unless I am using it at the time. Just a little tip from standing on the counter is enough to shift the inner burr enough to change the settings.

Ken

Advertisement
jpender

#28: Post by jpender »

Ken5 wrote:I wonder if we compare robot and pull details if we can figure out if you are grinding much finer than me.

For my Lionshare shots I am going for 18g to 36g, preinfusion of 2 bars till the scale reads about 0.3g which takes about 12 seconds, followed by a pull of about 25 seconds, for a total of about 37 seconds. I start out at 9 bars and decline steadily to about 7 at end of shot.

I don't have my pressure gauge connected but based on muscle memory I think that I preinfuse at about 2 bars for 10-15s and then pull 7-9 bars for the remainder of the shot, with some decline in the latter half. So pretty much what you're doing. I've pulled the Lionshare both short and long as well as 1:2 and I'm not sure which is better. They're different.

This morning I pulled three 18g shots at the same setting with the main variable being grinder crank speed. I ground (1) really slow, (2) my usual speed, and (3) as fast as I could. These rates turned out to be 1/2 turn/sec, 2 turns/sec, and 3 turns/sec. Not only did the number of turns to grind 18g vary but the shot times (and ratios where I stopped) did too.

0.5 turns/sec (70turns/140s): 18/24 in 65s (total time including preinfusion)
2 turns/sec (95turns/47s): 18/31 in 45s
3 turns/sec (120turns/40s): 18/40 in 42s

My Robot was slowly getting warmer at the same time so that's a potential confounding variable for shot speed, as well as possible idiosyncratic variation. But grinder speed affecting particle distribution is an expected phenomenon. So the numbers could well be telling the truth.

jpender

#29: Post by jpender »

Ken5 wrote:I have never tried freezing beans. Something I should probably try soon. Would be easier than ordering a few bags at a time and allow variety between shots.

For sure, give it a go. I usually drink two shots a day, sometimes three, and I'm the only coffee drinker in the house. Without freezing I'd be buying a pound or less at a time which would make mail ordering impractical. The Lionshare I pulled this morning is about 6 weeks post-roast and is as good as it was a month ago. And I'm not doing anything fancy. It's in the original bag which is inside a ziplock in the door of our frost-free freezer. I've opened the bag to pour out some beans and put it back in the freezer about a dozen times in the last few weeks.

bialettibarista

#30: Post by bialettibarista »

I just got myM47 grinder today and it's taking me 130 turns for 16 grams of espresso and over a minute? Im set at about 1.3. Will the burrs wear in and become faster with time?