New Kinu M47 Phoenix grinder - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Beyondborders

#81: Post by Beyondborders »

Just got my kinu Phoenix grinder. I'm absolutely surprised by the consistency and the easiness of use.
A little bit of background, i sold my niche grinder after 6 months of use, as i found it to be inconsistent over time and difficult to dial in. For example between setting 10 to 11 i get almost 10 seconds difference in shot duration ! With kinu i get 3 seconds difference for a change of setting from 2,2,3 to 2,2,4. It's clearly easier to work with.
One thing that annoyed me with niche is the grind setting is always changing over time.
The result in the cup is on par with niche maybe slight edge in flavor separation for kinu.

bas

#82: Post by bas »

One thing that annoyed me with niche is the grind setting is always changing over time.
That is very strange. My Niche has been rock solid after the first couple of pounds. In case I need to go a bit finer or coarser I definitely need to adjust more than one mark. Otherwise I do not notice any difference at all. Your 10 seconds difference between two following marks sounds abnormal. I have a couple of friend with a Niche as well. No complaints either. As is to be expected with big conicals! There must have been a problem with yours other than seasoning the burrs.

Apart from that the Kinu's are great hand grinders. I like my M47 a lot. Results in the cup are not on par with the Niche but not far behind either. Happy to hear you like your Phoenix...

Beyondborders

#83: Post by Beyondborders »

Maybe i got a bad grinder from the start. Anyway I'm happy with the kinu... i might sell my E61 machine and go for the robot as i travel a lot.

Chrikelnel

#84: Post by Chrikelnel »

I ended up answering my own question after Kinu got back to me on facebook, but they said that If they release a burr set for filter coffee, it will work with all of their grinders. I'm curious as to how that would work, given that they don't recommend removing the outer burrs anymore. Interesting stuff.

jquark

#85: Post by jquark »

Traveller vs Phoenix (maybe vs Comandante)
For daily driver (mostly espresso)

Thanks for replies so far, very helpful.

I want a Kinu and I intend to keep it a long time. I was set to get the Phoenix when it came out but now I have some reservations:

1) How stable is the alignment of the burrs ith the new 5 spoke plastic vs the SS/aluminum of the Traveller. Any play in the burrs at all?

2) I have read that the outer body of the Phoenix is thinner than the other Kinu grinders. I tend to grip grinders tightly. Has anyone with a phoenix noticed the body deforming at all when holding it tightly?

Lastly, is anyone using a Traveller or Phoenix as a daily driver for espresso? Besides the general effort with hand grinders, do you have any other problems?

Teslam3LRWD

#86: Post by Teslam3LRWD »

Hello new here.
I have recently started making coffee at home. I received a m47 Phoenix and per rep they suggested to start between 3.5.0 and 4.0.0 for v60 pourover. I also bought some gesha, ethiopian, and Columbus whole beans from different suppliers. The coffee all comes our sour. It's obviously my grind settings. What do you guys use?

Balthazar_B

#87: Post by Balthazar_B » replying to Teslam3LRWD »

I don't do v60 pourover any more, but when I was new to it, I experienced a lot of sourness as well. I thought my grind was off, too, and ground finer to avoid underextraction, but turns out I also tended to brew at temperatures that were too low. What temp range are you brewing at?
- John

LMWDP # 577

Teslam3LRWD

#88: Post by Teslam3LRWD » replying to Balthazar_B »

Hey thanks for the response. I started at 200 and the latest I did was 203. May I ask what's hour method of brewing now?

Balthazar_B

#89: Post by Balthazar_B » replying to Teslam3LRWD »

100% espresso.
- John

LMWDP # 577

radu

#90: Post by radu »

jquark wrote:Traveller vs Phoenix (maybe vs Comandante)
For daily driver (mostly espresso)

Thanks for replies so far, very helpful.

I want a Kinu and I intend to keep it a long time. I was set to get the Phoenix when it came out but now I have some reservations:

1) How stable is the alignment of the burrs ith the new 5 spoke plastic vs the SS/aluminum of the Traveller. Any play in the burrs at all?

2) I have read that the outer body of the Phoenix is thinner than the other Kinu grinders. I tend to grip grinders tightly. Has anyone with a phoenix noticed the body deforming at all when holding it tightly?

Lastly, is anyone using a Traveller or Phoenix as a daily driver for espresso? Besides the general effort with hand grinders, do you have any other problems?
So,

1) There is no play in the Phoenix, just like there is no play on any other Kinu. The axle is mounted on a bearing that's mounted on the plastic 5-spoke piece. From what I see the aligning is just as good as the other ones and there is no play.

2) The body is Stainless Steel. You can't deform stainless steel with your hands (maybe unless you're The Hulk). I did not check thickness, but it's still impossible to deform.

The grinding effort is pretty decent and the speed is really good. Ever since they coated the burrs with the black treatment, the force required to grind is a lot smaller than it was before. As for daily use, what I saw is that if there are a lot of grounds building up where the outer burr meets the grinder body, then the cup will be a bit loose when you put it in. So when that happens, just brush the grounds off (there's a little creek on the outer burr circumference where it builds up) and you'll be fine.
LMWDP #616