New Kinu M47 Phoenix grinder - Page 8

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
tehsaboteur

#71: Post by tehsaboteur »

It held about 45 grams whole in the grinder and 30 grams whole in the bin. All in all I'm enjoying the grinder a lot and the only complaint is the amount of grounds that cling to the bottom of the grinder.

This is my first real grinder so it's hard to tell how it compares to other similar priced grinders. Beats my crappy cuisinart tho.

danetrainer

#72: Post by danetrainer »

tehsaboteur wrote:It held about 45 grams whole in the grinder and 30 grams whole in the bin. All in all I'm enjoying the grinder a lot and the only complaint is the amount of grounds that cling to the bottom of the grinder.
RDT is your friend...and a light tap down on the counter before you pull the catch cup off.

tehsaboteur

#73: Post by tehsaboteur »

Yeah I tried the wet spoon trick and taping, there is always a good amount of cling.

ojt

#74: Post by ojt »

Just received my regular M47 yesterday and there isn't anywhere near that much cling. I do tap and shake the grinder rather vigorously. I do not know if that is something Phoenix specific, maybe other owners will chime in.
Osku

Yan

#75: Post by Yan »

tehsaboteur wrote:Yeah I tried the wet spoon trick and taping, there is always a good amount of cling.
There were some discussion regarding the static electricity New Kinu M47 Traveler

Maybe the Phoenix had more static in the plastic end of the grinder, the travel also had static by seeing your picture maybe lesser...

If you don't mind testing lets say grinding 21gr, without RDT, without tapping and shaking the grinder and the catch jar move the useable grinds and weight how many waste grams stuck caused by static....maybe lesser or more than my finding or Radu

tehsaboteur

#76: Post by tehsaboteur »

It might of been a more staticky day because I just did 5 grams and with no smacking I got 3 grams out. Smacking it brought it up to 4 grams but I feel like it was close to the full amount because there wasn't alot of grounds sticking to the bottom. My scale is basic and only guess up in gram increments.

Soharu

#77: Post by Soharu »

If you use the water droplet technique + 1 smack, or just RDT, there really isn't any retention at all. I had almost 2x the retention with my Lido. I have a bobby pin I run under my espresso machines water, then i stir it in the pheonix's grounds bin.

ojt

#78: Post by ojt »

Just measured the retention on my M47 today and with RDT + vigorous tapping and shaking I got 0.2g of retention. I think I lost some powder on the route from catch cup to PF. This was with a light-medium roast, slightly dense bean (colombian) with 0.9.0 grind setting which is on the finer end of espresso grind spectrum for a Pavoni.

I don't think the Phoenix should be any more static prone than the reg M47..?
Osku

Yan

#79: Post by Yan »

tehsaboteur wrote:It might of been a more staticky day because I just did 5 grams and with no smacking I got 3 grams out. Smacking it brought it up to 4 grams but I feel like it was close to the full amount because there wasn't alot of grounds sticking to the bottom. My scale is basic and only guess up in gram increments.
Btw you used for espresso or manual brew such as v.60 or kalita? If manual brew lesser fines help the flow rate and less bitterness I don't use the fines to my end result so sticking fines is better for me, If I am using for flair I will tap vigorously all the fines and wasn't really change the end result in manual espresso devices such as flair...

tehsaboteur

#80: Post by tehsaboteur »

Currently use if for only aeropress because I'm in the process of moving but plan to pick up a v60 after I settle in.