New Kinu M47 Phoenix grinder - Page 6

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
tehsaboteur

#51: Post by tehsaboteur »

I was just asking about their return policy, but I also emailed Prima Coffee about if they plan to sell the Phoenix. They said they do but will be a month or two. They also said "Also, my initial impressions of them are good! Same essentials for the grind quality of the standard M47 with some lighter, lower cost components (band for stable holding, plastic grounds catch,etc.). " So it's looking like a winner so far.

MoreJoePlz (original poster)

#52: Post by MoreJoePlz (original poster) »

Slightly off topic, but here's a video comparing the BPlus Apollo and the Kinu M47 Traveler. In French but with English subtitles. It's been up for a while but I only recently saw it, thanks to the YouTube video algorithm:

GregoryJ

#53: Post by GregoryJ »

MoreJoePlz wrote:Slightly off topic, but here's a video comparing the BPlus Apollo and the Kinu M47 Traveler.
That's actually the original M47, not the traveler.

MoreJoePlz (original poster)

#54: Post by MoreJoePlz (original poster) »

GregoryJ wrote:
That's actually the original M47, not the traveler.
Thanks for the correction, GregoryJ!

radu

#55: Post by radu »

MoreJoePlz wrote:Slightly off topic, but here's a video comparing the BPlus Apollo and the Kinu M47 Traveler. In French but with English subtitles. It's been up for a while but I only recently saw it, thanks to the YouTube video algorithm:
Even more off topic: The Apollo is literally a Kinu copy. A sad way to do business, in my opinion, but each to their own. I'd never support a manufacturer that just outright copies another product.

A copy, except for the way the outer burr is fixed to the grinder body. On the Apollo you can't tell if it's centered or not, since the outer burr has a little play and it is held by those two small screws. And you can't tell if it'll shift or not after a while.
LMWDP #616

Madman13

#56: Post by Madman13 »

I can offer an opinion regarding the Kinu traveler (should be pretty similar to the phoneix, just smaller and with thumb stop) which my coworker has vs the Apollo which I have. We use each to make espresso at work with the robot.

Apollo
Pros:
-Adjustment does not require you to loosen top nut
-Top of grinder is shaped like a wide funnel making it much easier to load with coffee beans
Cons
-Screw on catch cup seemd like it will be prone to cross threading with time
-burr rub up to three settings from zero
-MUCH harder to grind then kinu for medium-light roasts.
-Adjustment is too course per click

Kinu TRAVELER
Pros
-MUCH easier to grind medium-light and lighter roast coffres due to black burr coating
-Minimal burr rub, just a few sub clicks from zero
-Catch cup works well, no fear of cross threading
-Finer adjustment per click
Cons
-Harder to load due to shape of top of grinder
-Have to unscrew top nut to change setting
-Plastic catch cup feels cheap and I wonder about durability of O-ring which holds it on (it will be super easy to change, but I feel they should have included a replacement for when it wears out)
-Popcorns a good amount of bean fragments during fast grinding due to short size of grinder and makes a bit of a mess. Hopefully this is not an issue on the larger models.
-More turns to grind (like ~50% more) due to easier grinding/slippery black coating.

Overall I would definitely choose the kinu phoenix or regular m47over the apollo personally because it is MUCH easier to grind those lighter roasts (so easy I don't think the lack of thumb stop will be a big deal with the phoenix) and has less burr rub (better alignment?). I would NOT get the kinu traveler however because the amount of popcorning and mess it makes is a deal breaker for me. This comparison does not include price which is a factor with the Phoenix and traveler vs apollo of course. How this helps!

Yan

#57: Post by Yan »

Madman13 wrote:Kinu TRAVELER
Cons
-Plastic catch cup feels cheap and I wonder about durability of O-ring which holds it on (it will be super easy to change, but I feel they should have included a replacement for when it wears out)
They give 2 spare O Rings in the white clear plastic in the Pouch.

Madman13

#58: Post by Madman13 »

Good to know, maybe my coworker didn't notice them in the box or something.

erik82

#59: Post by erik82 »

AkshayRao27 wrote:I've been saving up for the M47T for a while now but can now afford the Phoenix (my friends are going to pitch in as a PhD Completion Present).

I will be using this grinder exclusively for V60 and AeroPress. Does anyone have experience with using M47 grinders for these brew methods? Do they perform well? Or would I be better off looking for a different grinder altogether?
Ive owned the normal M47 but for pourover would definitely go for the Commandante MK3. The Kinu works better for espresso but the Commandante is way better for pourover.

devlin2427

#60: Post by devlin2427 »

The Hiku is also a solid option for pourover and works wonders for espresso with a lighter roast.