New Kinu M47 Phoenix grinder - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
slickmamba

#21: Post by slickmamba »

I'm in the market for a hand grinder, excited for reviews as well. Considering this or the lido E

Soharu

#22: Post by Soharu replying to slickmamba »

I have received my M47 Phoenix. I absolutely love it. It feels nice in the hand and grinds easily. I have a lido ET and they are comparable flavor and grind wise. The only thing that feels cheap on the phoenix is the plastic grounds cup but that doesn't matter much.

Any questions you guys have?

radu

#23: Post by radu »

A bit off topic, but there's something I've seen while using the Traveler and the Phoenix (they both have almost the same plasic cup). When I finish grinding, I don't knock the grinder in any way. I just pull out the cup and pour the grounds.

There are grounds on the top part of the cup walls and on the burrs, adhering because of static. All of those are fines. So if you want to filter out some (a lot of) fines from the grounds, just throw them away.
LMWDP #616

Soharu

#24: Post by Soharu replying to radu »

Question about the traveler. Does the bottom part of the grinds cup push out? I noticed on the Phoenix it does and I wasn't expecting it lol.

You are correct though. I sived my pheonix and the grounds on the walls are 100% mostly fines. An example of static helping you out.

Yan

#25: Post by Yan »

radu wrote:A bit off topic, but there's something I've seen while using the Traveler and the Phoenix (they both have almost the same plasic cup). When I finish grinding, I don't knock the grinder in any way. I just pull out the cup and pour the grounds.

There are grounds on the top part of the cup walls and on the burrs, adhering because of static. All of those are fines. So if you want to filter out some (a lot of) fines from the grounds, just throw them away.
Using RDT it helps to reduce the statics, same as you I just pour the grounds to the driper no need to shaking / knock the grinder for pour over.

Cheers

homehlmad

#26: Post by homehlmad »

How's the total bean capacity of the grinder? The hopper?

I wonder if it's worth picking up the Phoenix in place of the Traveler.

radu

#27: Post by radu »

Yan wrote:Using RDT it helps to reduce the statics, same as you I just pour the grounds to the driper no need to shaking / knock the grinder for pour over.

Cheers
It indeed reduces static, but in this case I actually like that I can throw away fines.

@Soharu - the Traveler doesn't do that. The Phoenix only has an issue if you let coffee grounds to build up on the burrs (the outer burr actually).
LMWDP #616

slickmamba

#28: Post by slickmamba »

Soharu wrote:I have received my M47 Phoenix. I absolutely love it. It feels nice in the hand and grinds easily. I have a lido ET and they are comparable flavor and grind wise. The only thing that feels cheap on the phoenix is the plastic grounds cup but that doesn't matter much.

Any questions you guys have?
Any thoughts on which one I should pick up as my first real espresso grinder?

Soharu

#29: Post by Soharu replying to slickmamba »

I like my kinu more than my ET. My ET tastes better for pourover by a tiny bit so far but it's easier to use. I do have a slight popcorning issue so I might 3d print a lid

devlin2427

#30: Post by devlin2427 »

slickmamba wrote:Any thoughts on which one I should pick up as my first real espresso grinder?
The Kinus are specifically geared towards espresso while the Lido has a multi-purpose burr set.

I'd avoid the Lido simply because it's a pain to get the grind setting right. Also with lighter roasts the ergonomics and effort required is greater.