New Kinu M47 Phoenix grinder - Page 12

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
namelessone

#111: Post by namelessone »

I know images don't mean that much, but regarding "muddy brews", this was a light roasted (but well) Kenyan and brewed using Kalita 155 + Kinu (2+0 on v1) at 1:18 ratio (13.5/250), with 20% EY. Tasted very clean, sweet, juicy and you can see the brew is almost crystal clear.

aeropressguy

#112: Post by aeropressguy »

Hi everyone! I ended up purchasing my own Kinu m47 Phoenix for filter coffee use and was mostly sold by the grind time. I have not compared it to any other grinders yet as a full disclaimer, only to my Breville Smart Grinder. Here's a list of thoughts I've had since using it:

- it's really fast at grinding. I ground 15g in 18s and 20g in 21s. That alone has made me incredibly happy with the grinder already, knowing I'm not spinning and spinning for a minute. This was the driving motivator and I was willing to sacrifice a little bit of cup quality for a bit of speed.
- it is very easy to adjust. My Breville has a lot of margin for error and resulted in very quick drawdown times a lot, but with this the brews take longer and the grounds do look quite consistent with the odd boulder and much less fines than I was expecting. Dialing in is much easier and accurate.
- it's quite lightweight, I fit it in a tote bag very easily and have 250g coffee, the grinder, scales and an aeropress very comfortably packed for my weekend away.
- I can see the value in the M47 regular grinder mostly because of the catch cup. The seal on my Phoenix is fresh and can be a bit of a pain to pull off, causing chaff and some grinds to go everywhere but I'm sure that will ease up in time. I imagine the magnetic cup would be easier to pull off.
- cleaning is fine but static makes it a little difficult.. there's usually chaff on the bottom of where coffee comes out, which means less in my grounds but it can be a bit messy. I have tried RDT and found minimal success, but I live in a very dry city where I get zapped by static very regularly especially in this season, so I can't say how much of that is related directly to the grinder. My Breville made a lot of static too but the large size of the catcher made it easier to clean.
- it looks and feels very nice and grinds very easily. It also feels very sturdy and balanced. I'm not afraid of it falling over at all while it's standing up.
- The cup quality (v60, Aeropress (ground at 4.5.5 and 4.0.0 respectively)) is very good. The cups have a lot of clarity, almost as much as I've found from using my EK in Brewers Cup last year. The body is much lighter, but there is a lot of sweetness in each cup. I was expecting it to be a little bit of a step up but it's been quite significant. I find the Kinu has its own "flavour" and was expecting a much worse quality than I got. I am still dialling in coffees but aside from astringency from long brew times the cups have flowed very good and been very consistent.

Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase. I will update with comparisons to other grinders as I try more! If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. - aeropressguy

Advertisement
namelessone

#113: Post by namelessone »

Nice review! I'm happy I'm not the only one who thinks it's about as good the EK. I brew regularly with my EK43 (which has the classic/high-uniformity SSP burrs) and the Kinu and really don't have preference of one over the other. The EK brews are maybe feel like they're more focused, where as Kinu usually tastes more well rounded.

Regarding static, it should get better as you use the grinder more, with light roasted beans it becomes a non issue fairly quickly. I give the grinder some solid taps on the counter to dislodge any grounds stuck to the burrs before removing the catch cup and this seems to get rid of almost everything.

jpender

#114: Post by jpender »

I've been really pleased with mine. It's a big improvement over my first generation OE Lido. The catch cup is a bit of a kludge but for a savings of $130 USD it seems like something I can live with. The only other very minor thing is a small amount of bean fragment popcorning. I didn't even notice it at first. Then I saw a few tiny partially ground bits on the counter. So I made a simple silicone cover:

Yan

#115: Post by Yan »

I never feel the static with my travel version is bad, because mostly are fines and cha...and easy to clean with the brush & blower after doing coffee brewing process...

autoexec

#116: Post by autoexec »

aeropressguy wrote:- it's really fast at grinding. I ground 15g in 18s and 20g in 21s. That alone has made me incredibly happy with the grinder already, knowing I'm not spinning and spinning for a minute. This was the driving motivator and I was willing to sacrifice a little bit of cup quality for a bit of speed.
What makes you say that your Breville Smart Grinder offers a little bit more cup quality than the Phoenix? Or did you had it vice-versa?

aeropressguy

#117: Post by aeropressguy replying to autoexec »

Thanks for pointing that out, I'm not very good at proofreading...
I was referring to the choice between a C40 and a M47 (which I did not mention at all). The "sacrifice a bit of cup quality for a bit of speed" was in reference to this, since from reports I've heard the C40 is a little more consistent in quality (more consistent particle sizes) but takes longer to grind (upwards of a minute from what I've heard), whereas the M47 Phoenix takes only around 20s or less to grind.

Advertisement
autoexec

#118: Post by autoexec replying to aeropressguy »

Oh cool, good to know! I own both the C40 and M47 Classic and can say the C40 slightly gives a cleaner filter brew but just like your opinion, if I were to have only one unit, I'd choose the M47 for the speed, ease of adjustment, build quality, etc. :lol:

madrian

#119: Post by madrian »

I'll probably get a Kinu Phoenix for Christmas. :) May I ask where to start with grind size for espresso, V60 and cold brew (what setting, value)? It will be paired with a Flair Classic.

Oh, and I saw that's this grinder is not the best for V60, but now I see in their shop a Pour-Over Replacement Burr . Anyone tested this new(?) burr?

bgoods1221

#120: Post by bgoods1221 »

madrian wrote: Oh, and I saw that's this grinder is not the best for V60, but now I see in their shop a Pour-Over Replacement Burr . Anyone tested this new(?) burr?
Check out the Kinu Simplicity thread, they're talking about it now: Kinu M47 Simplicity