New Kinu M47 Phoenix grinder - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
radu

#11: Post by radu »

Seanmells wrote:M47 is top of my list right now, in fact I would have already bought one if they were in stock in the USA right now.
The website shows that they're in stock. Usually there's a preorder button when they're out of. Now I see a buy button.
LMWDP #616

guijan12

#12: Post by guijan12 »

Mbb wrote:Thumb stop doesnt work that well.
Works better a knuckle stop, under index finger knuckle for me.

Really needs grippable surface

Could knurl the metal, or use rubber or foam
Same here. :)
Regards,

Guido

Seanmells

#13: Post by Seanmells »

radu wrote:The website shows that they're in stock. Usually there's a preorder button when they're out of. Now I see a buy button.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was hoping to order from Prima Coffee just because I've have good luck using them in the past. That said, they don't seem to know when it will be back in stock...so perhaps I go directly through Kinu, I'm guessing they have a distribution center in the US so shipping will be reasonable.

Exciting.

Yan

#14: Post by Yan »

radu wrote:So the grind is just as the M47 or the Traveler. It's 700g but the size of the M47. The grip is good with the rubber band so I didn't find it hard to grind with it. The cup has the same o-ring design as on the Traveler (although it doesn't go as deep inside the grinder body as the Traveler).
With light roasting beans is it easier using the rubber band or same as the original M47?

Hopefully someday they sell the rubber band as an accessories, is it all the M47 type had same diameter outer body?

Cheers

voozy

#15: Post by voozy »

I only make brew coffee so the low capacity (intended for espresso shots) of the original and travel M47 were drawbacks for me. That makes the Phoenix more interesting. Would also like to see if they release some brew burrs.
Everyone drinks Voozy.

autoexec

#16: Post by autoexec »

+1 on bnew burrs!

radu

#17: Post by radu »

Yan wrote:With light roasting beans is it easier using the rubber band or same as the original M47?

Hopefully someday they sell the rubber band as an accessories, is it all the M47 type had same diameter outer body?

Cheers
The grip is really strong with the rubber band, but I never found it hard to hold the grinder ever since the burrs were treated with the black treatment. On the previous version it was really hard with some beans.

As @Mbb mentioned, I also use the M47 thumb stop as a "knuckle stop". I grip the body with the thumb stop at the first joint of my index finger (the DIP joint). If the air happens to be really dry and my hands don't grip, I just wet my hand a bit and wipe it with a cloth, then have perfect grip.

I think one could email them and ask if they sell the grip separately.

@autoexec - sadly, they didn't say anything about a new burr. But they never teased new products too much, so who knows.
LMWDP #616

Yan

#18: Post by Yan replying to radu »

Thanks for the Info,

Cheers

MoreJoePlz (original poster)

#19: Post by MoreJoePlz (original poster) »

radu wrote:The grip is really strong with the rubber band, but I never found it hard to hold the grinder ever since the burrs were treated with the black treatment. On the previous version it was really hard with some beans.

As @Mbb mentioned, I also use the M47 thumb stop as a "knuckle stop". I grip the body with the thumb stop at the first joint of my index finger (the DIP joint). If the air happens to be really dry and my hands don't grip, I just wet my hand a bit and wipe it with a cloth, then have perfect grip.

I think one could email them and ask if they sell the grip separately.

@autoexec - sadly, they didn't say anything about a new burr. But they never teased new products too much, so who knows.
---

Echoing Yan's thanks: great to feedback from someone who's been hands-on with the new Phoenix, radu. Thanks for sharing!
Can't wait to hear other HB members share their thoughts.

Soharu

#20: Post by Soharu »

Just ordered one. Will post my thoughts when I use it.