New high-end grinder - cutting vs. grinding the beans

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
clausbmortensen

#1: Post by clausbmortensen »

Just came across this Kaffeselskabet Crown Espresso Grinder, which I - despite being Danish myself - have never hear of.

https://www.coffeeitalia.co.uk/kaffesel ... -m65.html

Can't find any reviews out there but it would be interesting to see whether the claim that cutting the beans instead of grinding them actually makes the coffee taste better. No information about how the machine cuts the beans and no reviews that I can find.

Cheap it ain't so no matter how good it is, it won't find its way into my kitchen :)

Has anyone had experience with this?

Geoffr

#2: Post by Geoffr »

You get 10 pounds off if you subscribe to their newsletter.

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. » replying to Geoffr »

Reading the info there, that seems to be one of the more technical pieces of data. No burr size is mentioned, nor burr design and no photo of the internals at all. No mention of retention either and no detail on how the grind setting is actually achieved. For the price I would think that they should share more specific data than the time it takes to bring a dose.

If I was shopping for a grinder and came across that page, I would continue shopping.
Espresso! My Espresso! - http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
LMWDP #644

clausbmortensen

#4: Post by clausbmortensen » replying to Randy G. »

I gave the manufacturer that very feedback on their website.

belegnole

#5: Post by belegnole » replying to clausbmortensen »

The manufacturer's website is rather devoid of information itself.
LMWDP #641

ira
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by ira »

Sounds like fancy marketing jargon and looks like a Lelit grinder in a fancy stainless box, though the 65 might indicate the burr size. You can't really cut coffee beans in the way they seem to be implying.

Ira

ira
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by ira »

Actually, reading their website, I'm thinking that their marketing is aimed at people coming from really low end grinders and then the description makes sense from a marketing perspective.

Ira

Prescott CR

#8: Post by Prescott CR »

This is from the .pdf on the downloads tab-

'In addition to Crown Espresso is a grinder with multiple functions, which grinds the beans as desired and in no time.
A double bayonet is filled in 3.0 seconds. Besides being extremely fast, the grinder is very silent. Among others, this is because the beans are being cut instead of crushed. Besides that this function makes the grinder extremely silent, it also provides the freshly grinded coffee with a richer taste.'

3 seconds for what I'm guessing is a double? That aint no 65mm I've ever seen :)

I'm not a fan of the form so much but quiet fast and efficient certainly are attractive qualities to me. Not for $5000k US though, I'll stick with the Niche.
-Richard

Randy G.

#9: Post by Randy G. »

I am surprised that Illy isn't selling it paired with their Illy-branded Francis! Francis! X1.
Espresso! My Espresso! - http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
LMWDP #644