New HG-1 user questions

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
roanjohn

#1: Post by roanjohn »

Did some searching and can't seem to find an exact answer.

1 Zero point - from a few readings I did, it seems this is trivial - so long as you have the grind setting at espresso level, it's just a matter of doing micro adjustments to get it right. **To be honest, I don't know what visual cues I should be looking for on the burrs touching, should I be looking down by lifting the top funnel or removing the magnetize bottom funnel and looking at the 2 flat disc from the bottom?**

2. Should I be worried when I'm adjusting finer if small remaining beans are stuck between the burrs? I know for the Vario you need to have the motor running to adjust finer.

3. When making adjustments (to fine), do you hold on to the flywheel handle to ensure it stays steady and does not spin? I noticed that initially when adjusting finer, the flywheel handle would move (not sure if it's clockwise/counterclockwise) - did I actually change the setting if that happens? To simplify, should the flywheel handle be at the 6 pm position to properly change settings?

4. A complete newbie question specifically for the HG1. Let's say hypothetically "0" is the perfect grind setting for a specific espresso machine - how much play do you have when changing bean variety (Light, Medium, Dark)? The HG1 has 5x Micro notches per Macro setting. +/- 5 micro? +/- 10 micro? More? I am having a hard time grasping this concept when dialing in.

Any tip would be much appreciated :) Dialing this in with my Pavoni - and I think I spent WAY too much time on "Finding your zero" and turning 450 degrees from Zero!

dergitarrist

#2: Post by dergitarrist »

1. Don't worry about the zero point... it only changes what numbers (or braille symbols) show up on the ring for your grind setting once you found it. But here's how I did it: Just tighten the grinder until the flywheel moves slightly. This is obviously where the burrs touch. Never go here or past this point when actually grinding coffee. Now loosen the setting by at least a full turn, probably a little more to avoid turning the Pavoni into a steam bomb, and go from there. On my Cremina with a 14g dose of a bright roast, I'm approximately 1.75 turns from that zero point.

2. No. The grinder may get stuck because you don't exert enough force to break the bean by just turning the outer burr with your hand, but you can't break anything.

3. No. The flywheel turns the inner burr, grind settings are adjusted by turning the outer burr, so the flywheel has no influence on grind setting whatsoever. If the flywheel turns you're either setting the grind so fine that the burrs touch (zero point) or there's coffee in there. Just loosen the setting a bit and turn the wheel a few times to empty the grinder.

4. I use fairly similar roasts (bright) and doses (13-16g) most of the time. I almost never change the grind more than 3 or 4 micro adjustment pins. For shits and giggles, I used a very dark Italian roast a few months ago, just to remind myself how much I hate it. I had to go finer by almost half a turn... Dark roasts will need a finer grind because there's less oil in the beans and the grounds are "dustier". Same goes for stale beans.

The HG-1 is great for single dosing and experimenting with many different coffees. I often have 3-4 bags open at the same time and try all of them on any given day. That said, until you know what you're doing, just get a bag of reliable good coffee that you know how to use and how it "should" taste.

Hope this helps.
LMWDP #324

Advertisement
roanjohn (original poster)

#3: Post by roanjohn (original poster) »

Markus - THANK YOU! Very helpful! I think I'm getting the hang of it. I still find it hard to sometimes adjust finer.....but loosening up the burrs help. Great grinder! I'm very happy so far.

salcangeloso

#4: Post by salcangeloso »

Been using an HG-1 for over a year now, and I'm in full agreement with all dergitarrist's answers.

Re: #4: Through the aging of a bag of beans you are rarely going more than 4 micro-adjustments. If you have to go more than that it's a) time to get a new bag of beans or b) time to check the consistency of your tamp. I'll definitely go coarser as a bag ages but the adjustment is pretty minor overall. fwiw I'm using pretty light roasts so your mile may vary with darker stuff.
HG One / '85 Cremina / Thor 49mm tamper

iCarumba

#5: Post by iCarumba »

Anyone noticed the hg 1 burr replCement is rated for 816 kg stated on le website. But somehow its motorized sibling is rated for more than 10k kg.