New Fellow Ode 64mm flat brew grinder (Kickstarter) - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jbviau
Supporter ★

#21: Post by jbviau »

Favor: could someone who backed please ask in the comments section which specific burrs they're using? Italmill? Other? At this price point, I doubt they're going with SSP, but those might be compatible. I asked via Twitter and have received no response so far. Thanks in advance.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

truemagellen

#22: Post by truemagellen replying to jbviau »

This is a great question. At this price point I bet they go with a carefully sourced Chinese burr set and not Italian/Korean otherwise they would advertise it. Their EKG is made in Shenzhen if I recall. Unfortunately there is currently no widely praised Chinese burr set and it is likely due to materials.

I'd like to see a made in USA burr set company make its way into our world. The coatings on burrs are nothing special and have been on machining tools for decades.

Advertisement
Shenrei

#23: Post by Shenrei »

I believe the price is ideal. The price point matches their ecosystem and doesn't stray too far as an outlier. There're no scales, screens or timers. There's no big hopper. It just grinds. At the $400 and up price point, it would be a hard sell to the average consumer and prosumer, and especially because there are a number of excellent hand grinders that are much cheaper than $400. Anything $400 and up for a brew grinder only, you're looking into the realm of Fujis, Varios, and commercial grinders.
- Tim

chibitimwin

#24: Post by chibitimwin »

jbviau wrote:Favor: could someone who backed please ask in the comments section which specific burrs they're using? Italmill? Other? At this price point, I doubt they're going with SSP, but those might be compatible. I asked via Twitter and have received no response so far. Thanks in advance.
In Fellow's instagram reveal post, someone asked this question, and this was Fellow's reply
They are proprietary! Fellow-made <3

iBrew

#25: Post by iBrew »

Fellow makes a great product so there is definitely potential here. I'm interested in more info about the burrs and if the 64 SSP burrs would fit. Alignment is very important with flat burrs, hard to believe at this price point they will have it aligned correctly. They should've looked into ghost burrs where the alignment isn't so important. Really tempting to back this but at $60 off it might be worth waiting for reviews and the final product. If they nail this with grind quality this will be a game changer. Would be great if they would show photos of the grind and possibly some result showing low fines percentage. It's priced very well but hopefully that's not at the cost of quality that fellow is known for. Weird to see a fellow product that could be at a bargain price.

njw

#26: Post by njw »

Shenrei wrote:At the $400 and up price point, it would be a hard sell to the average consumer...
herein lies my confusion, though. it never seemed like fellow's target audience was the "average consumer," who would likely opt for a $50 bonavita and $8 plastic v60 compared to a $150 stagg ekg and $60 stagg x or xf

Shenrei

#27: Post by Shenrei »

The Duo, the Staggs, the Atmos containers, the Carters, they are all relatively affordable. The Stagg pourovers arent much more than the Chemex if you don't get the tasting glass. They ship free and have coupons and sales from time to time. Sure the Stagg EKGs are expensive, but the Bonavita variable temp kettle used to be $100.

There are cheaper grinders out there, like the Encore, the Capresso Infinity, the Hario Skerton, the 1Z JX, and the Porlex. All much cheaper than Fellow's Ode
- Tim

Advertisement
TomC
Team HB

#28: Post by TomC »

I am fore-mostly interested in knowing more about the strength and durability of the motor driving these burrs. Otherwise, it's a very clever, small package.

I really love Fellow products, I find them thoughtful, not overly complicated tools that make coffee making either more precise or more elegant.I've been first in line to buy their products. But I really get irritated when I see advertising like their recent ad, featuring whatever they want to portray as hillbillies reduced to an offensive stereotype. It strikes me as the last refuge of racism. Replace their white actors with any other race, ethnicity and you'd be facing an outrage.

None of the idiocy in their fundraising efforts were necessary or beneficial to their bottom line.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Geoffr

#29: Post by Geoffr »

If they get the alignment right and it's compatible with SSP burrs, this could be a great grinder fir not a lot of money.

I like the design too, and it appears to be quite small.

doublehelix

#30: Post by doublehelix »

Brilliant video...really clever... says much about the company's creative thrust. I'm in to buy.....