New Eureka Mignon Single Dose Grinder - Page 16

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jnthhk

#151: Post by Jnthhk »

Thanks for this, really interesting.

I spoke to a uk distributor and they've said they found some teething issues with the pre-production model and are waiting for confirmation they're fixed before taking preorders. Therefore, it sounds like they're refining based on feedback from the first model.

luckydragon

#152: Post by luckydragon »

graphidz wrote: - Blow up hopper does nothing. Air leaks out making it not very efficient. One point was to make sure the hopper's stopper is closed because the gap is pretty big which allows air to escape. The rep had to smack the blow up hopper to make sure no grounds are left, but even then there were still less than a gram missing. Opening inside was pretty dusty, so the grounds were leaking somewhere through a gap.
I really don't get why they just make a hopper without the bean shutoff gate because there's no need for one if you're single dosing, unless you want to "pre-fill" the chamber with the dose and then open the gate to let all the beans through?
Looking at the grinds and also the coarsest it can go, it doesn't seem like it can do filter. More like Moka and Aeropress maybe. Maybe okay for filter if you use finer grind sizes though. The knob starts to wobble (indicating it to come off) at around 2+ turns. The other grinders allow even 4 complete turns before wobble. So it seems like they are using the same thread sizes, but shorter thread on the dial.
Also weird that they'd restrict the range of the dial, yet market it as a multipurpose grinder; so in reality, it's more like the Sette 270 in terms of how coarse it can go? The micro-adjustment dial is also not a very intuitive choice for large-scale grind changes, because I assume you'd have to do more than 360 degrees of rotation to go from espresso-fine to filter-coarse, so it may be hard to remember which setting you were on if you swap between methods frequently.

Jonk

#153: Post by Jonk »

luckydragon wrote:unless you want to "pre-fill" the chamber with the dose and then open the gate to let all the beans through?
This is thought to improve consistency.

heytchap

#154: Post by heytchap »

luckydragon wrote:I really don't get why they just make a hopper without the bean shutoff gate because there's no need for one if you're single dosing, unless you want to "pre-fill" the chamber with the dose and then open the gate to let all the beans through?
The gate is an antipopcorn device when used. I used to use the gate on my Specialita for that purpose when single dosing with the original hopper.

graphidz

#155: Post by graphidz »

I really don't get why they just make a hopper without the bean shutoff gate because there's no need for one if you're single dosing, unless you want to "pre-fill" the chamber with the dose and then open the gate to let all the beans through? .
You do need it to prevent popcorn-ing of the beans due to no force/weight from top of it like on demand grinders. Even the Niche has one which they after customers' comments. This is something I noticed before but without some anti-popcorn mechanism, not only it grinds slower but also the last few beans just grind a bit coarser, something I noticed on their Specialita, and maybe to a point on their other grinders. This does show that slow feeding the beans give a different grind size. Personally though, I wish they'd be able to make it lower or some other better mechanism than that.

Also weird that they'd restrict the range of the dial, yet market it as a multipurpose grinder; so in reality, it's more like the Sette 270 in terms of how coarse it can go? The micro-adjustment dial is also not a very intuitive choice for large-scale grind changes, because I assume you'd have to do more than 360 degrees of rotation to go from espresso-fine to filter-coarse, so it may be hard to remember which setting you were on if you swap between methods frequently.
I'm hoping it's because that grinder is a preproduction unit and not finalized. The sales person did mention the other grinders can turn much more than the Single Dose so would be weird if the didn't do the same. I like the micro adjustment really easy to turn and use. Could be bigger to allow more precise movement but it's good enough.

Yes you do need to turn a few turns which may be annoying in the long run but from reviews, Eureka burrs excel in espresso anyway. I would be better off getting a good hand grinder. Better quality grinds anyway.

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#156: Post by buckersss »

graphidz wrote:I'm hoping it's because that grinder is a preproduction unit and not finalized. The sales person did mention the other grinders can turn much more than the Single Dose so would be weird if the didn't do the same. I like the micro adjustment really easy to turn and use. Could be bigger to allow more precise movement but it's good enough.

Yes you do need to turn a few turns which may be annoying in the long run but from reviews, Eureka burrs excel in espresso anyway. I would be better off getting a good hand grinder. Better quality grinds anyway.
the atom pro is another single dose grinder from eureka. the turns on its knob are restricted - i believe 1 full rotation. in comparison to the atom 60/65/75, it does not have s knob with the same amount of range. i wouldnt be surprised if eureka took this approach with the EMSD.
graphidz wrote:Tried one today at a local reseller and to be honest it's not up to the hype. Maybe it's a preproduction unit (which I do hope it is).

The sales rep showed me the inside and what their impressions were and they also said it's a good grinder just with any Eureka grinder. But nothing special really.

Too bad they didn't allow to take pictures but here are some of the things the sales rep said and from my observations :
- Blow up hopper does nothing. Air leaks out making it not very efficient. One point was to make sure the hopper's stopper is closed because the gap is pretty big which allows air to escape. The rep had to smack the blow up hopper to make sure no grounds are left, but even then there were still less than a gram missing. Opening inside was pretty dusty, so the grounds were leaking somewhere through a gap.
- Also the hoper is really soft. So much that quite a few times it just comes off from the plastic hopper when using it so have to fix it back into place. Gets annoying really.
- The exit chute hole from the burr chamber is placed at the same level as the cutting edges and not the same level as the base of the chamber. So there's a "wall" which prevents coffee grounds to escape if they fall below the cutting edges.
- On the other hand, the burr chamber looks crazy tight to reduce space for grounds to be retained. If only they can bring this feature to their other grinders that'll be great.
- Design looks lazy. Eureka basically uses the same mold as their other grinder to save cost. So you still have the slots for the portafilter holder and button for the portafilter to push on to start grinding, but not usable.
- Looking at the grinds and also the coarsest it can go, it doesn't seem like it can do filter. More like Moka and Aeropress maybe. Maybe okay for filter if you use finer grind sizes though. The knob starts to wobble (indicating it to come off) at around 2+ turns. The other grinders allow even 4 complete turns before wobble. So it seems like they are using the same thread sizes, but shorter thread on the dial.
- Burrs look identical to their other grinders so it's espresso focused and should be pretty good. No complaints there, especially when it comes with coated burrs out of the box.
- It seems to vibrate quite a bit and a tiny bit noisier. I'm guessing Eureka decided to remove some sound dampening internally. The XL which was also on display was much quiter.
- It grinds super fast thanks to the big burrs and powerful motor. It felt like 3-4 seconds.

My overall take, wish they'd refine the design more. You might need to mod some parts to solve the issue (like the chute hole) and the blow up hopper. But if they can resolve the issue before commercial release, it'll be a great buy indeed.
i dont think its going to be anything "special" at that price range. but having said that i do think its good value - at least at the presale price. i just put in an order for $900 cad for chrome version. i have been so close to buying the atom pro. i expected this to be at least $1200 - which is the non presale price. and at that price i wouldnt grab it.

i didnt notice until you said that they portafilter and button cutout were still visible. this bugs the hell out of me. ill be pissed if its on the production unit.

driveopolis

#157: Post by driveopolis »

I have this Oro Single Dose grinder on pre-order from IDC. It was on pre-order special at 850CAD and I got an additional 10% off due to purchasing an espresso machine with them. So for me it was hard to pass up this deal at 765 CAD which is about 607 USD. Single dosing, made in Italy grinder with 65mm flat burrs. Supposedly shipping in November.

I also pre-ordered a Niche Zero in the most recent release, and that should arrive in November as well.

I'll be able to do a comparison of both! Planning to keep one, or use one for filter coffee and the other for espresso.

titan

#158: Post by titan »

buckersss wrote: i didnt notice until you said that they portafilter and button cutout were still visible. this bugs the hell out of me. ill be pissed if its on the production unit.
Sadly, I will be very surprised if they removed those buttons at this stage! The pre-order images all have those. Personally, I do not think it is a deal breaker though.

LindoPhotography

#159: Post by LindoPhotography »

That's pretty bad Eureka Marketing with that VS DF64 and Niche thing.
I wonder who thought the Niche Zero was better at Brew coffee than it was at Espresso, because I don't think most owners would agree.
Also DF64 is just a 2 star grinder? Even with the stock burrs I don't think so, but you also have a few options for SSP burrs with that grinder (at extra cost sure... those burrs are pricey, but they also nicey, they look perfect anyway).

Hopefully the retention and exchange stats are accurate, as well as dose consistency, it seems like it might be. Good for them for including and differentiating between those different stats, a lot of people and marketing just talks about retention without defining what that means and if it's total retention or exchanged etc, or sometimes they really mean dose consistency which is another thing.

Noise wise, Niche Zero is pretty quiet (72db quoted matches on Niches website, but it really depends on how you measure it)
I think it was about the same or maybe quieter or at least a bit nicer sounding than my nice and quiet Eureka Specialita, I thought the XL model might be a bit louder than the Specialita unfortunately, based on some reviews I saw (which I assume means the Oro / Single Dose one might also be a bit louder, if it's really more quiet than a Niche that's impressive I think the Atom has already achieved that so it's not impossible. Most Eureka grinders are nice and relatively quiet.

icedlink wrote:Might be useful.

bas

#160: Post by bas »

Eureka Specialita
Here the Eureka is much quieter than my Niche. Although the Niche is louder it is still not a loud grinder. And the pitch is pleasant.

I assume there are differences between and in between grinders and the environement plays a role as well.