New Eureka Mignon Single Dose Grinder - Page 15

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jeff
Team HB

#141: Post by Jeff »

I have no reason to believe that this has not resolved in this forthcoming grinder, but if it hasn't been, there were some "leaks" apparently due to overly long bolts with the Mignon XL. There is a resolution in Eureka Mignon XL Major Issue Single Dosing

icedlink

#142: Post by icedlink »

Can someone please explain what does the info on the spec sheet means ?

Total Retention 0.6 ÷ 0.8 g

Niche 0.3 ÷ 1.0 g
DF64 1.3 ÷ 1.5 g

I understand the 0.3g exchange.... But not the retention ..

thanks

Advertisement
Vingi Aermir

#143: Post by Vingi Aermir »

I got a quote today for preorder from my local store (Europe) for the Eureka Mignon Single Dose:
- White and black €599,- incl tax (roughly $710)
- Full chrome €649,- incl tax (roughly $770)

Expected delivery: November 2021

YeetSkeeterson

#144: Post by YeetSkeeterson »

I saw the new video... Any word on US distributors and preorders?

dhowe

#145: Post by dhowe »

Whole Latte Love is now taking pre sales for $749. They did say that the price may change once they get them in stock.

Vingi Aermir

#146: Post by Vingi Aermir »

icedlink wrote:Can someone please explain what does the info on the spec sheet means ?
Total Retention 0.6 ÷ 0.8 g
Niche 0.3 ÷ 1.0 g
DF64 1.3 ÷ 1.5 g
I understand the 0.3g exchange.... But not the retention ..
It is probably the standard deviation of the mean, an indication of variability.

This means the average retention is 0.6 g for the Mignon and 0.3 g for the Niche, but the variability of the retention is supposedly a little better on the Mignon.

If you would prepare 10 batches, the retention can vary per batch, e.g. from 0.3 to 1.2 g. The standard deviation would indicate that 95% of the times the retention is supposed to be lower than 1.4g for the Mignon and lower than 1.3g for the Niche.

longpvo

#147: Post by longpvo »

Jeff wrote:I have no reason to believe that this has not resolved in this forthcoming grinder, but if it hasn't been, there were some "leaks" apparently due to overly long bolts with the Mignon XL. There is a resolution in Eureka Mignon XL Major Issue Single Dosing
I was looking into this grinder as everyone, seems like the wrong M4x8 screws belong to a specific batch of the XL, the right one is M4x7. So it seems like they just:

- replaces with a smaller beans feed path SD hopper with bellow and anti-popcorn tab

- removes electronics

- adds 15° incline base

- replaces the larger black gasket of GoD models with this one (has 3 indentations for the screws too)

sceenshots from this first impression video

Advertisement
coffeechan

#148: Post by coffeechan »

ECS released their "pre-production review". I'd really like to hear taste impressions though.

titan

#149: Post by titan »

Based on the last two videos it seems there really is no need for the blow up lid as retention is very low without it anyway. Now I would like to see how much exchange there is. The blow up lid could help with that.

graphidz

#150: Post by graphidz »

Tried one today at a local reseller and to be honest it's not up to the hype. Maybe it's a preproduction unit (which I do hope it is).

The sales rep showed me the inside and what their impressions were and they also said it's a good grinder just with any Eureka grinder. But nothing special really.

Too bad they didn't allow to take pictures but here are some of the things the sales rep said and from my observations :
- Blow up hopper does nothing. Air leaks out making it not very efficient. One point was to make sure the hopper's stopper is closed because the gap is pretty big which allows air to escape. The rep had to smack the blow up hopper to make sure no grounds are left, but even then there were still less than a gram missing. Opening inside was pretty dusty, so the grounds were leaking somewhere through a gap.
- Also the hoper is really soft. So much that quite a few times it just comes off from the plastic hopper when using it so have to fix it back into place. Gets annoying really.
- The exit chute hole from the burr chamber is placed at the same level as the cutting edges and not the same level as the base of the chamber. So there's a "wall" which prevents coffee grounds to escape if they fall below the cutting edges.
- On the other hand, the burr chamber looks crazy tight to reduce space for grounds to be retained. If only they can bring this feature to their other grinders that'll be great.
- Design looks lazy. Eureka basically uses the same mold as their other grinder to save cost. So you still have the slots for the portafilter holder and button for the portafilter to push on to start grinding, but not usable.
- Looking at the grinds and also the coarsest it can go, it doesn't seem like it can do filter. More like Moka and Aeropress maybe. Maybe okay for filter if you use finer grind sizes though. The knob starts to wobble (indicating it to come off) at around 2+ turns. The other grinders allow even 4 complete turns before wobble. So it seems like they are using the same thread sizes, but shorter thread on the dial.
- Burrs look identical to their other grinders so it's espresso focused and should be pretty good. No complaints there, especially when it comes with coated burrs out of the box.
- It seems to vibrate quite a bit and a tiny bit noisier. I'm guessing Eureka decided to remove some sound dampening internally. The XL which was also on display was much quiter.
- It grinds super fast thanks to the big burrs and powerful motor. It felt like 3-4 seconds.

My overall take, wish they'd refine the design more. You might need to mod some parts to solve the issue (like the chute hole) and the blow up hopper. But if they can resolve the issue before commercial release, it'll be a great buy indeed.
★ Helpful