New Eureka Mignon Single Dose Grinder - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LObin

#11: Post by LObin »

Why the hopper?

Unless I'm mistaken, this would be the only dedicated single dosing grinder that comes with a hopper...

It's more like an "inclined Mignon XL without electronics"...

Putting a hopper on a SD grinder is... counter intuitive, to say the last.

It should be the other way around. Comes standard with a SD hopper and the small traditional hopper can be purchased separately.

Alright, I'm done being critical as I truly believe this is great for the consumer. Another new single dosing grinder option and likely one that will be considered as an affordable SD grinder. Hopefully it'll be easier to obtain than the other options out there.
LMWDP #592

denkigroove (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by denkigroove (original poster) »

CantinaCoffee wrote:Really interested in this...... so many single dose options now. It's starting to look like I might buy 3 or 4 single dose grinders and keep my favorite. Niche, Turin, Weber, Eureka...
Hah I'm almost in the same boat now I have my 1 week old Specialita, I'm on the list for the new Weber Key, and now this...

AJ_Grey

#13: Post by AJ_Grey »

LObin wrote:Can I ask how do you see this as a step up from the DF64/G-iota?

Since we don't yet know the RPM, db, wattage, dose consistency, dose exchange and total retention, I feel like it's a bit early to consider it a step up.

DF64 has stock TiN coated burrs that have longer life than the DLC Eureka burrs (it's a small upcharge). Like malling noted, there are not many 65mm compatible burrs out there. On the other hand, there are some really great 64mm options for the DF64, SSP to name one.

We also know the sound level, retention, and other good and not so good things about the DF64.

I do prefer the look of the Mignon SD (it looks rather good, even though it's basically a Mignon, with wood accentn on a slated base) and believe the grind adjustment might be more precise.
I would see this as a step up since it's made and assembled in Italy as compared to China. Eureka has a decent reputation for quality and I would be able to buy it from a local dealer who would support and service it and even be able to see one before purchase. I feel like if I buy a DF and I have a problem, it's my problem at that point.

LObin

#14: Post by LObin replying to AJ_Grey »

I hear you. I was also very skeptical to buy a DF64 because of the same reason. I was quite reassured when I spoke with customer service though. They were fantastic.
From what I've read from one or two person that had a wrapped burr (Italmill's fault), the company was very convenient to deal with and offered replacement parts. I haven't had any reason to reach out myself. Pretty sure the local companies that are starting to distribute it will take care of this and will eventually have parts on hand.

Still, not as convenient as buying a Eureka grinder though!

Really wish Eureka had decided to go with SSP compatible 64mm burrs and lost the hopper for their first leaked pictures...
LMWDP #592

AJ_Grey

#15: Post by AJ_Grey »

That's very reassuring. I haven't pulled the trigger one one because I've been on the fence about quality and support. I would like better burrs as well.

GregoryJ

#16: Post by GregoryJ »

This looks like it will be a nice option for those who like flat burrs but can't quite stomach the price of a Lagom P64. I don't think anyone can know whether it will be more reliable or give better results than the DF64. I think price signaling will definitely have an effect on people's perception (i.e. the Mignon is more expensive so it must be better).

I'm guessing this single-dosing Mignon will come in somewhere around $1,100 USD, if they operate at all like Ceado. I'd hope it includes some kind of bellows or aggressive sweepers to work well for single dosing. The Specialita was not quite up to the task of single dosing, it always took me a short purge or 2 shots before I realized a grind change, and I don't think simply tilting the grinder will fix that. It looks like they used a slightly larger adjustment knob on this one, which is great, because the adjustment knob was my main gripe on the specialita. I wish they would use the same one as the Atom, that one is very smooth and easy to control.

graphidz

#17: Post by graphidz »

Looks literally like a tilted Mignon line of grinders with fancy wooden hopper lid and base. Hopefully they made something even more than just tilting the grinder.

denkigroove (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by denkigroove (original poster) »

They added more photos. Looks similar in size to an XL?

malling

#19: Post by malling »

AJ_Grey wrote:I would see this as a step up since it's made and assembled in Italy as compared to China. Eureka has a decent reputation for quality and I would be able to buy it from a local dealer who would support and service it and even be able to see one before purchase. I feel like if I buy a DF and I have a problem, it's my problem at that point.
There is no reason to be sceptical anymore, chinese factories are fully capable of delivering the same quality as anywhere in europe and other countries with roots in europe.

The same can be said about Thailand, Vietnam and other southeast Asian countries. most photographic equipment is now made in Thailand and China, most outdoor equipment is made in Vietnam and so forth. China make allot of high quality precision products, parts and great carbon fibre products so I see no reason why they should not be capable of delivering high quality grinders.

I have no higher thoughts of Italian manufacturing, it's just as often as good and bad as that of China, so italian produced items is not even remotely equal quality, I can name a long list of poorly made products from Italy, Italy is no Germany or Switzerland, Italy is mostly known for design and quality food products (that is as often just as debatable as well), I don't mean it in a harsh way, but made in Italy is really overrated, just pop the hood on any italien espresso machine and look at the welding and wiring! Some of these are really questionable even on La Marzocco.

dascoont

#20: Post by dascoont »

I've actually put an incline with 2 large stick on rubber feet on the backside on my eureka filtro, and bought and installed a 3d printed single dose hopper. Total cost for me was around $240 usd, great single doser, just wish the exit chute was a littler lower or longer down.

This seems to literally use the same grinder with different adjustment nob and smaller stock hopper, even the same 'body' and housing that's just been mounted on separate inclined foot... No inherent re-designed parts just 'add-ons' to an existing product.

Hopefully they don't overprice this to compete with niche that was designed from the ground up, cause this is lazy, but appreciated nonetheless.