New Eureka Mignon Single Dose Grinder - Page 26

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
malling

#251: Post by malling »

titan wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought they are officially resellers. Like they have a business of selling grinders. That's how they make money, so it makes sense that they make commercials for the products they sell.
Other YTers may receive commission, free/early access samples, etc. but they are in the business of making controversial, click-bait, entertaining, honest opinion, you name it videos which means having different expectations when watching them compared to resellers.
It's just important that we so to speak don't treat all reviewers the same, there is quite the distinguish between one who receive a product commission free or not (not very widespread in this industry yet) and one who purchased it with their own money or through backers.

The first one is fundamentally advertising for the company that is why companies send it to them in the first place, it's rarely objective and often mostly just one long advertisement of the product (if they can't they usually don't post it) we all should know such reviewer would stop getting product if they are overly critic, so the outcome is almost always predictable, these are generally not to be trusted not even a tiny bit, sorry.

The other who finance it themselves or by backers has the potential to be far more objective as they are not dependent on the goodwill of a given manufacturer, in this industry most of that aren't the most clickbait type simply because there simply isn't enough of a following to be had for such content in this industry yet, only Hoffmann really have a following of a noticeable seize that would allow for a gain with such content, the rest is usually below 75.000 which in the YouTube and social media world is nothing. Many companies have a lower limit of 200.000-500.000 subscribers for them to actually send out a product. Also I seen hardly anything that point in the direction of an obvious clickbait in terms of controversies, I can name others easily in other fields but I see no one that falls into that category yet. The only real clickbait I see is the unboxing, product 1 vs product 2, best product, there are two people who come to mind who is especially guilty of that crime but even if their title is a bit clickbait they do try to be somewhat objective, although I sometimes do feel they aren't always objective. But a caution some of these are sponsored "like this video is sponsored by" and is my perhaps biggest criticism of Hoffmann it does remove some of the trust.

stump007

#252: Post by stump007 »

Not sure how a video being "sponsored by square space" (a website creation tool) removes trust when the channel content is centered around coffee :idea:
If anything, I feel Hoffman is overly conservative in giving disclaimers regarding the neutrality of his content, not sure what more he could do but ok. :D

Long story short anyway is to try to vary sources of information when considering a purchase:
- Resellers / shops channels: good to have an overview of how to use the machine, but not a review - it's as good as talking to a sales rep in a car dealership, they won't highlight the "bad" about a product - useful to know a bit about a product you're curious about, but maybe not for deciding on a purchase.
- Coffee specific channels: can be a bit more in depth, but as others say, you may not know if the content is commissioned and have conflicts of interest
- Small channels: those made by your average joe, I saw someone say they are not relevant, but I think they very much are. If the channel has just 100 subs, you bet they aren't sponsored, so while the video may not be as pretty, and while they may not be "experts" you can trust their independence of thought a bit more

Just my 2cents

Anyway back to the Eurka Single Dose Grinder - quite disappointed by the design. It really feels they took the laziest approach just to have a product positioned against the Niche by providing a modded slanted Eureka with belows... My guess is their marketing team requested it, and the engineers didn't want to do it :mrgreen:

Advertisement
yertchuk
Supporter ♡

#253: Post by yertchuk »

stump007 wrote: My guess is their marketing team requested it, and the engineers didn't want to do it
Familiar story.

graphidz

#254: Post by graphidz »

K7 wrote:Based on ownership experience or trying one out at a local dealer? IIRC, they sent out pre-lease version to a bunch of dealers and took a few months tweaking stuff before the office release.

I do think too much air leak (some is expected) is the reason behind the ACE screen "clog" some people are seeing (assuming they really tried cleaning it out and then reassess with proper bellows use). But it's not clear to me exactly why/where the leak is because some are not having the same issue. Something tells me it will evade me also if I get one. :lol:
I tried both actually. Spent some time with the dealers and asked what they thought about it. They were nice enough to let me check it out too (under their guidance of course). And then when they did release the final version, same thing.

K7

#255: Post by K7 »

Did you get to make sure it wasn't already "clogged"? I mentioned this earlier...one needs to puff out after each session. If you don't, retention will grow. Eventually the whole thing will behave like a regular hopper based system where the area behind the ACE screen full of grounds like a toothpaste ready to be squeezed out. Once it reaches this state, it's much harder to puff it out. Air can't find its path to the chute and any leak path that are normally inconsequential will seem more prominent. If random people in store use it, good chance it's exactly in that state.

Anyway, I saw some more reviews and user comments. Plenty of users with no bellows issue. Similar with vibration. Yes, more buzzing and vibration compared to Specialita but not so bad. Positive to very positive cup quality comments in all reviews... I'm back to ordering this when it becomes available again. :)

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#256: Post by JB90068 »

The Real Sprometheus has just released a video where he compares the Mignon SD to the NZ. I don't have a dog in this fight as I'm not interested in either grinder, but for those of you that are curious, it might be worth checking out.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

malling

#257: Post by malling »

Kyle also compared it with the DF64, he seems to like the flavour profile more on DF64 and find it better value for money. He did not really find Oro better or solve the issues of the DF64 that he hoped it would do to the increase in price.

This again just shows that it's expensive to produce certain stuff in europe and it's not overly shocking that a made in China product that cost about 50-60% of a European produced is more a less equal, that just is the reality of things.

Advertisement
K7

#258: Post by K7 »

One jumpy youtuber says so, so it must be true. :lol:

ECS sold out of the 2nd round pre orders and now accepting the 3rd round (end of Feb shipping).
No 110v version in sight. :(

bas

#259: Post by bas »

This again just shows that it's expensive to produce certain stuff in europe and it's not overly shocking that a made in China product that cost about 50-60% of a European produced is more a less equal, that just is the reality of things.
Not entirely fair to say. Eureka has better build quality overall, stainless steel in stead of plastic dosing cup, wooden accents, no plastic wrap but nice wet paint and more important higher quality and more expensive burrs.

The Giota with titanium burrs and stainless steel cup price cost ~475 euro in my country vs 600 euro for the Eureka SD. So there is a difference but not that big. The Giota with stock burrs and plastic cup is cheaper: 400 euro.

The nice thing with the Giota is that you can install SSP burrs. I used it with the multi-purpose set for more clarity at the expense of body and mouthfeel. I preferred the Eureka burrs over the stock Italmill.

In the end I kept the Niche/XL combo and sold the Giota as it turned out I am not a huge fan of ultra light Nordic roast. I have the SD hopper mounted on my XL but do not use the bellows. I did not use the bellows on my Giota either as I do not like the bellow workflow and see no point as output/input difference is very precise (0.1-0.2 g) and retention quite small (~0.7 g). This is true for both grinders! My impression is that using the bellows does not help with grind consistensy.

I have no experience with the Eureka SD!

malling

#260: Post by malling »

bas wrote:Not entirely fair to say. Eureka has better build quality overall, stainless steel in stead of plastic dosing cup, wooden accents, no plastic wrap but nice wet paint and more important higher quality and more expensive burrs.
A steel dosing cup isn't really adding much in terms of cost, we are really talking very few euros in difference compared to a plastic cup, as it cost nothing to make a steel cup like these.

The paint found on mignon isn't really the best in the world and is just mostly different and again it doesn't add allot in extra costs.

Neither these two things are what makes a grinder expensive nor is the cheap wooden parts on Oro. None of these have anything to do with build quality as it's add ons and cosmetics.

Eureka make some of their own burrs so what you pay isn't what they pay, so we cannot just look at resale prices and see one uses €25 burrs and the other €70-80 (both excluding vat) in reality it's again only adding very little cost from the manufacturer side, especially as Eureka do charge rather heavily for the burrs even those that aren't really any better then Italmill is coasting noticeable more. If you toss titanium burrs in these are typically more expensive then diamonds inside and still it's cheaper, if you import it from china you can typically get at much lower rate.

The rest of the grinders are on a rather equal in terms of build from what I seen, I certainly could not see much build quality difference it was at best minuscule, the Oro weight about 1kg less, so there is less metal in it, and then we have to remember it has wooden parts, if these where made in china I don't really think the price would be nearly as big as it is.
The Giota with titanium burrs and stainless steel cup price cost ~475 euro in my country vs 600 euro for the Eureka SD. So there is a difference but not that big. The Giota with stock burrs and plastic cup is cheaper: 400 euro.

The nice thing with the Giota is that you can install SSP burrs. I used it with the multi-purpose set for more clarity at the expense of body and mouthfeel. I preferred the Eureka burrs over the stock Italmill.

In the end I kept the Niche/XL combo and sold the Giota as it turned out I am not a huge fan of ultra light Nordic roast. I have the SD hopper mounted on my XL but do not use the bellows. I did not use the bellows on my Giota either as I do not like the bellow workflow and see no point as output/input difference is very precise (0.1-0.2 g) and retention quite small (~0.7 g). This is true for both grinders! My impression is that using the bellows does not help with grind consistensy.

I have no experience with the Eureka SD!