New Eureka Mignon Single Dose Grinder - Page 25

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jonk

#241: Post by Jonk »

I think Lance Hedrick mentioned using a dremel to be able to fit SSP burrs in the current carrier 8) makes you wonder why Eureka didn't opt to change the dimensions ever so slightly to begin with.

KyleDrinksCoffee

#242: Post by KyleDrinksCoffee »

As I mentioned I believe it's not an issue of failing to pump properly. If the SD is that sensitive to "how" to press a bellows I believe we've got an issue. At least, that's my opinion :) But as I mentioned I tried many different pump pressures and techniques over weeks of testing and cleaning the grinder.

One consideration I don't see anyone talking about here is coffee. I've been using very light to Medium roasted specialty coffee with a higher density and that's what I did mostly in my testing of this video. Maybe using darker roasts has less of an issue - quite possible.

As for depth in comparing vs specialita - there's another video coming about a modded specialita vs a oro. I want to test which is the better value for most. Stay tuned for that one.

graphidz

#243: Post by graphidz »

I wish Eureka wasn't lazy in designing the grinder. Like, not reusing the same molds as the other grinders to cut costs. At least remove the useless holes for the grinding button and portafilter forks.

The bellows just doesn't seem to pump air strong enough. The air just goes out from the gaps more than the chute. Like the gap for the hopper gate, the gap at the rubber holding the hopper, the gap at the same rubber piece, but sandwiched between the top plate and upper burr carrier. I feel like if they had used a millimeter thicker and softer rubber piece, it could make a better seal. But, Eureka being lazy here again.

Also, I could be wrong here but isn't the hole for the coffee to come out from the grinding chamber to the chute is too high? Like why make it high when coffee grounds will settle below that, in the gap of the lower burr and the side wall? Couldn't they have made that hole bigger to allow coffee to go out easier?

K7

#244: Post by K7 »

graphidz wrote:The bellows just doesn't seem to pump air strong enough. The air just goes out from the gaps more than the chute. Like the gap for the hopper gate, the gap at the rubber holding the hopper, the gap at the same rubber piece, but sandwiched between the top plate and upper burr carrier. I feel like if they had used a millimeter thicker and softer rubber piece, it could make a better seal. But, Eureka being lazy here again.
Based on ownership experience or trying one out at a local dealer? IIRC, they sent out pre-lease version to a bunch of dealers and took a few months tweaking stuff before the office release.

I do think too much air leak (some is expected) is the reason behind the ACE screen "clog" some people are seeing (assuming they really tried cleaning it out and then reassess with proper bellows use). But it's not clear to me exactly why/where the leak is because some are not having the same issue. Something tells me it will evade me also if I get one. :lol:

malling

#245: Post by malling replying to K7 »

I think the most likely reason some see it others don't, is in the direction Kyle and I mentioned earlier, the coffee and environment. The grinder and parts are made in batches and for the quantities Eureka make their products in we are not talking small batches (for a grinder), the problem will first cease in new product the moment they cleared the original batches, something they also more then hint at. There is a good chance people buying one in the coming months might experience issues that has been discovered.

K7

#246: Post by K7 »

malling wrote:I think the most likely reason some see it others don't, is in the direction Kyle and I mentioned earlier, the coffee and environment.
I could see coffee roast level (worse for dark) and maybe too much RDT being a small factor, but I am skeptical that's the main reason. Same with environment. I saw Kyle using light roast in the video so didn't even bother to bring it up.
The grinder and parts are made in batches and for the quantities Eureka make their products in we are not talking small batches (for a grinder), the problem will first cease in new product the moment they cleared the original batches, something they also more then hint at. There is a good chnce people buying one in the coming months might experience issues that has been discovered.
Are you suggesting they still have the original batch to clear for months to come? lol how do you know? How do you explain some with no issues already? What "hint" are you talking about? I didn't notice any but I could have missed it.

malling

#247: Post by malling »

K7 wrote:I could see coffee roast level (worse for dark) and maybe too much RDT being a small factor, but I am skeptical that's the main reason. Same with environment. I saw Kyle using light roast in the video so didn't even bother to bring it up.
You would be surprised what environment can do, I lived i very dry climate and very humid and warm country like plus 70% with the average temperature around 30 degrees Celsius where plus 80% where a weekly event, and had same bean/roast with the same grinder at said location in one hardly any retention (below 0,5g) the other I literally got grams of retention! Although it's an extreme example it clearly proofs that environment play a key role in how much retention you end up with.
Are you suggesting they still have the original batch to clear for months to come? lol how do you know? How do you explain some with no issues already? What "hint" are you talking about? I didn't notice any but I could have missed it.
They made a reply to a video where they hint quite strongly they are either looking into it or improving some of the issues brought up in the batches to come (the ones they saw as an issue), you can easily deduct what that means. But as it's not fatally flaws but minor flaws that needs tweaking, there is no way they are going to throw out the batches they already received from their suppliers that most likely will be in thousands (as that is typically the minimum order of many parts) and call back the probably plus/minus thousand grinders already made with that "flaw" it will from experience take some time to clear out, especially as some would have found it's way to warehouses and resellers, some resellers especially in Europe it can take months before they clear out the first batch. I just don't see it happening in a week or two especially as it for the Ode it literally took more then half a year in europe.

It might clear out faster in USA, but for Europe due to many years of experience it's not gonna happen anytime soon, simply because it's small resellers who might not sell very large quantities and where the shelf life can be relatively long.

K7

#248: Post by K7 »

malling wrote:You would be surprised what environment can do, I lived i very dry climate and very humid and warm country like plus 70% with the average temperature around 30 degrees Celsius where plus 80% where a weekly event, and had same bean/roast with the same grinder at said location in one hardly any retention (below 0,5g) the other I literally got grams of retention! Although it's an extreme example it clearly proofs that environment play a key role in how much retention you end up with.

They made a reply to a video where they hint quite strongly they are either looking into it or improving some of the issues brought up in the batches to come (the ones they saw as an issue), you can easily deduct what that means. But as it's not fatally flaws but minor flaws that needs tweaking, there is no way they are going to throw out the batches they already received from their suppliers that most likely will be in thousands (as that is typically the minimum order of many parts) and call back the probably plus/minus thousand grinders already made with that "flaw" it will from experience take some time to clear out, especially as some would have found it's way to warehouses and resellers, some resellers especially in Europe it can take months before they clear out the first batch. I just don't see it happening in a week or two especially as it for the Ode it literally took more then half a year in europe.

It might clear out faster in USA, but for Europe due to many years of experience it's not gonna happen anytime soon, simply because it's small resellers who might not sell very large quantities and where the shelf life can be relatively long.
Well, I wouldn't read their lengthy reply to the Wired Gourmet as admission of the "clogging" issue let alone an upcoming fix. Wired Gourmet didn't even report any clogging to begin with. As far as I can tell, we still don't know the root cause. And I wouldn't completely rule out possibility that it's mostly due to new users not following the best practices guide, notwithstanding Kyle being certain he did it right (but why post poor bellows pumping video?). Heck, even I had a similar issue with my DIY SD heck early on. I could easily see many users going through some learning process with a pretty new system.

Last time I checked, US dealers were already sold out of the initial batch. Same with ECS in Italy. Next shipment in Feb, I think. Hopefully things get sorted out soon.

titan

#249: Post by titan »

K7 wrote: What makes you say that? Do you think the other reviews aren't? If so, why?
I'm talking Rowsell, Sprometheus, Hedrick, Hoffmann, etc on YT and other influencer types on forums. Just not for Eureka but also for Niche, DF, Option O, Monolith, Weber, Fellow, Decent, on and on. :)

I said this before, I happen to think the enthusiast grinder segment is full of BS and hype. :P
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought they are officially resellers. Like they have a business of selling grinders. That's how they make money, so it makes sense that they make commercials for the products they sell.
Other YTers may receive commission, free/early access samples, etc. but they are in the business of making controversial, click-bait, entertaining, honest opinion, you name it videos which means having different expectations when watching them compared to resellers.

K7

#250: Post by K7 »

titan wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought they are officially resellers. Like they have a business of selling grinders. That's how they make money, so it makes sense that they make commercials for the products they sell.
Ha! I was not aware they also sell gears. You certainly answered my first question. :)
Other YTers may receive commission, free/early access samples, etc. but they are in the business of making controversial, click-bait, entertaining, honest opinion, you name it videos which means having different expectations when watching them compared to resellers.
"you name it", exactly. That was my point. While they are not official resellers, I still take all those YT and forum reviews with a large grain of salt.