New Eureka Mignon Single Dose Grinder - Page 24

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Giampiero

#231: Post by Giampiero »

KyleDrinksCoffee wrote:Hey friends!

Kyle Rowsell here. Stumbled upon this thread and thought I'd say hi but also chirp in the conversation.

As with many of you I was very excited for this grinder. And truly hoped it would be my new DD. But my personal experience has been okay. The coffee is great but my experiences - not so much. I've actually been pretty bummed about it - and that I had to even give such a poor review. It's not a fun time having to be Debbie downer but I'm also committed to sharing the truth in my experiences so that you can make the right choices and ultimately - brew better coffee at home. But I'd love to address some things...

I've seen some debate on the bellows and if people are pressing hard enough/ forcing enough air to pump out retention. I wish this was the case. For three weeks I would clean off the ace and try different methods of pressing. The issue kept coming back. Maybe I had a dud? But then a few started reaching out asking if they also had duds also because they were experiencing the same. They were hopeful I wasn't experiencing these Same things.

As I also mentioned in my review eventually I removed it all together. Then went to a hybrid model where it was slightly bent. The bent ace seemed to work best for me - but I'm willing to sacrifice messy counters for low retention. But still - not ideal.

Now I've had a DF 64 for a week since recording that video and I can say the bellows works much better on it. While I haven't modded the clump crusher yet on the DF, I've checked the chamber daily as I've done in the past with the ORO and it is doing a much better job at moving grounds out of the chamber. I think an aftermarket bellows may be a better solution for the ORO. Something like many have done for the specialita. But - I don't think this should be asked from customers when claiming its low retention.

Anyways without repeating too much of what I've stated in my video - I'm hopeful that eureka can turn this around. They have reached out to have a phone call with me to discuss my concerns with their engineers. They seemed very concerned about their future sales... and maybe they should be. Maybe they'll listen to the community? But... If you have anything you'd like me to share please let me know! Would love to hear more from the community in this.

In the meantime I will be comparing the oro to DF and other single dosing grinders in a showdown. Please let me know what you'd like to see there too. I feel this will be valuable to many. Should I separate flats and conicals? Mix them with detailed explanations? Let me know.

Stay well. :)
If the big concern it's only the bellows functionality, why not Eureka they move to a completely sealed beans hopper without the beans shutter? Moreover, what a beans shutter means in an SD grinder hopper?

bas

#232: Post by bas »

What I do not understand is the clogging issues I read about. With my XL I have never head this issue. Most don't. Could it be the case that the blowing action is the cause? By forcing and compressing grounds throught the ACE? The Eureka chute is very narrow and that grid reduces space even more. Perhaps the ACE system is optimised for use without bellows and not a good idea for bellows use. If there is significant clogging air finds the way out through the bad seals. If so Eureka only needs to develop a new grid and better bellows.

Or did Eureka change the chute design on the SD?

I have read about huge retention issues with first Giota/DF64 grinders. The company changed the rubber flap and it seems to perform well. I agree that the Giota has a better fitting and effective bellows. Again I did not use it on my Giota + SSP MP for the same reason as I do not use it on my XL.

K7

#233: Post by K7 »

bas wrote:What I do not understans is the clogging issues I read about. With my XL I have never head this issue. Most don't. Could it be the case that the blowing action is the cause? By forcing and compressing grounds throught the ACE? The Eureka chute is very narrow and that grid reduces space even more. Perhaps the ACE system is optimised for use without bellows and not a good idea for bellows use. If there is significant clogging air finds the way out through the bad seals. If so Eureka only needs to develop a new grid and better bellows.

Or did Eureka change the chute design on the SD?
The metal ACE thing works fine with bellows in my experience with the Specialita. But Eureka still shortened it for the Oro SD specifically to reduce resistance there. Photos comparing mine (7 weeks since the last cleaning, 4 shots per day) on the Specialita vs the Oro's (image from Rowsell's video, possibly bent after his "fix").

My Specialita:

Rowsell's Oro:

My best guess is air pressure is just not reaching the ACE thing in his case for some reason. I wish he had delved more into it, like comparing against the Specialita w/ bellows, maybe look for possible air leak elsewhere. When I say air pressure, I don't mean a huge blow but enough to feel gentle air coming out of the chute.

IMPORTANT: Quick, not slow, presses are needed. See Eureka's best practice video (0:48 mark) for example. When I see Rowsell's bellow usage (11:30 mark), he does it much more slowly. Makes me go hmm... And I would imagine many new owners are like him, trying to gentle with their expensive new toy. I'm not sure that's going to generate enough air pressure...

Regarding the chute design, I believe they have a thin metal sheet for the Oro SD (maybe for the XL as well?) compared to all plastic for the Specialita.

bas

#234: Post by bas »

Thanks. Yes that is a different grid design. My XL looks like Specialita. That SD one should have less resistance. But why do people get clogging if the ACE gives less resistance compared to XL? I never have had this with my XL (and former Specialita)...

Agree that the Eureka bellows only works with quick agressive pumps...

K7

#235: Post by K7 »

It's gotta be either:

1. Not pumping the bellows properly (sure, Eureka may need to give more clear instruction)
or
2. Too much air leak in the hopper system (due to not closing the gate completely or poor fit of components?)

Note that once it gets clogged badly enough, simply fixing #1 and #2 may not remove the existing clog. You may need to vacuum/brush out the clog in the ACE screen area to give yourself a clean slate and it shouldn't clog anymore, I think.

bas

#236: Post by bas »

K7 wrote:It's gotta be either:

1. Not pumping the bellows properly (sure, Eureka may need to give more clear instruction)
or
2. Too much air leak in the hopper system

Note that once it gets clogged badly enough, simply fixing #1 and #2 may not remove the existing clog. You may need to vacuum/brush out the clog in the ACE screen area to give yourself a clean slate and it shouldn't clog anymore, I think.
Yes but why does the SD clog? The XL does not. I have not read before of clogged XL models but read more and more messages of clogged SD grinders. Does not make sense? Or is the tilt or redesign of the chute the issue...

K7

#237: Post by K7 » replying to bas »

When the ACE screen is clean, Specialita/XL still get maybe 0.5 to 1g of coffee behind the screen, perhaps a bit less for the Oro SD since its ACE screen is shorter. This is the "clog" that Ben YT guy showed in his video couple pages back. His claim is that the default Oro SD bellows does not work to remove this clog... but his DIY bellows works better (but still takes too much effort) in this different video.

When this temporary retention is not cleared well enough by the bellows system after each grind session (some residue will always remain/exchanged as shown in my earlier photo), it can grow bigger and bigger and thus harder and harder to puff it out. Eventually it will basically work like a regular hopper based system and all the puffing will seem useless.

malling

#238: Post by malling »

Triumphrider wrote:Agree to disagree. I could tell within a few shots of OWNING the SD that it was going to be a great grinder. But then, I went in without any bias. That helps.
Everything depends on what you come from and what you owned and used in the past, having owned much more expensive and bigger grinders that I SD, but decided for something much smaller and more counter friendly it obviously impact what I think about a grinder.

If you come from much more affordable grinders you will always evaluate it very differently as it would be step
Up rather then a step down. For me 64mm is actually very small burrs, for someone who might never owned anything bigger or higher ranked it would be very different.

As I wrote Eureka do make good products and I expected more from them simply because I'm familiar with their higher end products, compared to what Eureka can do it seem they cut more corners probably to make it more profitable and more budget oriented.

Also it's not a huge criticism I come with, I don't exactly call it useless, I just expect it to be more refined then it currently is, I had the exact same feeling with the Ode, but that is how it is with first gen hopefully they sort these issues out and hopefully make it so it can use SSP because it would make it more useful for very light roast.

And I would gladly see them make a bigger version that doesn't need bellows.

bas

#239: Post by bas »

I am happy that my XL with SD hopper works without bellows and accept the small exchange. I have opened the chute ans grind chamber a couple of times but no clogging issues.

Perhaps I could create clogging when using the bellows for a couple of days but not enthousiastic about bellows on any SD grinder.

Giampiero

#240: Post by Giampiero »

Anyway, i can see a good business opportunity for some.......whom can produce the upper burr carrier to fit SSP burrs, joke apart, it does not seems impossible.