New Etzinger etz-I grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
drH

#1: Post by drH »

No point in derailing to a conversation about China.

Rather I'd turn us back to another possible competitor to the Comandante:
I feel like Etzinger hand grinder (ETZ-I, the second one listed on the page below), is going to be a strong contender in the hand grinder space. The EtzMAX is proven in cafes in Europe, and as far as I can tell the ETZ-I is going to use a very similar burr.

https://etzinger-ag.com/etzmax-knowledge/what-s-on

...split from New Comandante MK4 grinder by moderator...

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

It will be interesting to see a rotating ring burr hand grinder!
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

zan

#3: Post by zan replying to baldheadracing »

I think KINU M-68 has an outer burr that rotates and the inner one that regulates fine-coarse, but not especially hand-friendly.
https://www.kinugrinders.com/index.php? ... Product=18

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

zan wrote:KiNU M-68 has an outer burr that rotates and the inner one that regulates fine-coarse, but not especially hand-friendly.
https://www.kinugrinders.com/index.php? ... Product=18
Hmm. I was thinking "hand" grinder, as in, hold in your hands, but perhaps Etzinger is planning a tabletop model like the M68.

maxbmello

#5: Post by maxbmello »

I less they've changed something, the inner burr cone is the moving burr on my m68. That carrier moves the inner burr shaft using a gear reduction.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#6: Post by jbviau »

Pics on their Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/etzingergrinders/
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

baldheadracing
Team HB

#7: Post by baldheadracing replying to jbviau »

Thanks Joshua.

So they have both a tabletop hand-crank and a hand grinder coming ...

SoF

#8: Post by SoF »

The few pictures I saw of the new Etzinger etz-I grinder make me wonder: in which direction will we have to rotate the handle?

Given what is happening with the Knob, where the founders renounced to use a set allowing CW rotation of the outer burr (whereas I had been somehow convinced that they launched their campaign precisely for this purpose) I am now getting worried

Are these grinders only means for left-handed people, since CW for right-handed would require mirror images of standard burrs

Jonk

#9: Post by Jonk »

SoF wrote:The few pictures I saw of the new Etzinger etz-I grinder make me wonder: in which direction will we have to rotate the handle?
It states CCW on Etzinger's website. I'm left handed but I'm fairly sure CW would be less awkward for most people as it's what's common. Not sure it's a big deal in the end - would Etzinger (who's not running a kickstarter) really release an expensive grinder to the market if they thought so? I think it's something you'll get used to after a while.

An upside of having regular burrs in these grinders is at least that replacement or alternative cone burrs will be easier to find.

SoF

#10: Post by SoF replying to Jonk »

Thanks, I can see that on their website now, I don't know how missed it before

Regarding the burrs, Etzinger call them "32mm" but it seems to me that it corresponds to the diameter of the base of the inner cone, whereas other manufacturers would call these 48mm burr sets referring to the flange diameter of the outer burr

Is this correct?