New dose by weight Mignon from Eureka? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Kaffee Bitte

#11: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

Yes. I see how grind by weight would be better if swapping a lot. I do half pound loads at home and then next bean but my Macap is the older style hopper and doserless, it's just a switch on/off. Simple to use as is. I dose by grinding direct into pf with a funnel, judging dose by height in basket. Not reliable when changing, always have to dial in but every grinder needs same it works well enough for my flow.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#12: Post by Milligan »

Setting the machine up for time after a change isn't earth shatteringly difficult. Tare the PF, press the button, note the time, weigh, bump a few more grams in, weigh, and set the new time. Takes 5-10s. Even if you don't dose by time at all my Caedo E37 has a much faster workflow than single dosing.

I'd be interested to know how accurate the Mignon is using the dose by weight feature. I know the gravimetric grinders that are highly accurate can be very expensive.

Advertisement
boren

#13: Post by boren »

I asked Eureka about the Libra's suitability for filter coffee and this was their response:
Mignon Libra was born as a product for Espresso, so we kindly suggest it more for this usage. Indeed the fork is not removable, and it could be an obstacle for filter coffee.
A bit disappointing, because I was looking for a flat-burr grind-by-weight companion grinder for my Sette 270Wi and the Libra seemed to fit the bill. I guess I could use a dosing cup, but my bigger concern is that filter coffee wasn't a design consideration, so also grind quality and grind level adjustment may be optimized for espresso.

statsman (original poster)

#14: Post by statsman (original poster) »

A bit disappointing, because I was looking for a flat-burr grind-by-weight companion grinder for my Sette 270Wi and the Libra seemed to fit the bill. I guess I could use a dosing cup, but my bigger concern is that filter coffee wasn't a design consideration, so also grind quality and grind level adjustment may be optimized for espresso.
Yes, it would be disappointing if the Libra has problems grinding for filter coffee. The Wired Gourmet teased a review of it in his last video. He always does very in-depth reviews of grinders, including assessments on how they do for different styles of coffee. So hopefully he'll post a review of it soon. I'm looking forward to it!

But anyway, I wouldn't expect it to be any different from the Specialita in terms of grind quality. I guess we'll find out.

Sfnewbie

#15: Post by Sfnewbie »

Does anyone have any info on when this grinder will be available in the U.S.?

#16: Post by statsman (original poster) replying to Sfnewbie »

I couple of websites seem to suggest that it will be available in January. I am eagerly awaiting the US release, but I will not buy one until I see the teardown video on The Wired Gourmet channel. If there are clear design flaws or other issues that need to be addressed, there is a good chance he will find them and point them out.

I don't know if Thomas Greene is following this forum, but if you are, I really appreciate all the time and thought that you put into your Wired Gourmet videos. They have a valuable and unique perspective. I am looking forward to your impression of the new Mignon Libra!

NewCoffeeGuy1

#17: Post by NewCoffeeGuy1 »

Someone posted on reddit that they had it...photo alongside their espresso machine. r/espresso. Says he bought it from a shop in Vienna iirc.

Advertisement

#18: Post by statsman (original poster) »

A somewhat interesting potential development is that there may be a 65mm version of a dose by weight grinder in the works in the Oro line. This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6INYkOxXeoA describes the Mignon Libra. In the comments, iDrinkCoffeeCanada casually asserts, "There will be one later this spring with 65mm burrs." I'm not sure whether this information is at all reliable. It's the first I've heard of it.

Ulric

#19: Post by Ulric »

Agree 100%